What do you think about Americans who are so obsessed with guns?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 12

• There's nothing wrong with it. .. its just their niche. guns provide security if brought about, and handled properly. I personally like the idea of having guns around for security purposes reguardless of if they're legal with the correct paperwork and authorization or if your hometown or apartment etc.. doesn't allow them just make one or two yourself to have around the house in case of an intruder. I don't think they define the person nor does being American have any relevance.

• They tend to be really annoying.

• I can see why they are obsessed, it's part of their heritage and history.
    I don't think it should be illegal, but it should be heavily regulated, so that the potential buyers won't be a threat to society (mental health certificate or something).

• I personally don't own any guns but support other peoples right to.

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people"

• content.gallup.com/.../vtito3dvbe-ugfnal39xpg.png

I think this might answer your question.

• They make me not want to visit the country.

• We don't want you here either

• That's just so typical of right-wing Americans. When they receive any criticism from foreigners, they immediately get all whiny and sulky and cry "well, keep out then! We don't want you anyway!" So basically they don't want us there because we've got a different opinion. Oh yeah, and that's coming from the country that is so proud of supposedly having an oh-so awesome democracy.

• @BlueCoyote delivering freedom by dropping bombs.

• I think anyone who is obsessed with guns is obviously not thinking straight.
    The only reason people should be allowed to use guns is for either police things or experienced gun owners that have taken tests etc, in my opinion.

• If they like guns then whatever. Everyone has their hobby and thing. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone it's fine

• I think it's normal

• I think they believe in their freedom and they're resistant to having a right taken away.

• 0|0
  • I honestly feel much safer around the majority of gun owners who see them as useful tools than the much rarer wannabe vigilante types. Unfortunately, like every other topic, extremists on both sides are talking the loudest.

What Guys Said 25

• Yeah i think it's stupid as fuck personally. I live in france where guns aren't nearly as mediated and publicized and just simply abundant... people just dont go killin with guns a lot. Here its like "OH FUCK YEAH, MURRIICAA, I NEED A GUN AT WALMART SO I CAN PIN DOWN THE NEXT FUCKER WHO FUCKS WITH MY DODGE RAM FUCKK YEAHHH MURRRRRICA MUTHAFUCKAS, IM REPUBLICAN, I WANNA HAVE A GUN CUZ ITS COOL AND GOOD FOR DEFENSE, FOR TAKING DOWN MUTHAFUCKAS WHO WOULD OTHERWISE KILL EVERYONE, BUT IM THE ONE WITH THE GUN, WHO GETS MAD AND DRUNK AND SHOT MY WIFE IN THE SHOULDER, FUCK YEAH, MURRRRIICAA BITCHESSS, FUCK BAMA... WOOO WOOT. *chugs coors light*

• I can't really have an opinion on them because I've never met one. I've known hundreds of gun owners. I've known several gun dealers. I've known some gun collectors. I've known hunters. I've known competition shooters. But I've never met anyone who was obsessed with gun. I'm willing to bet that 99+% of the population never has either. So how would anyone even form an opinion?

• I like them just fine. I have had a friend that was never more than 3 feet away from a gun in his house. Him and his family were good people. Why do people think being obsessed with guns, are any different from being obsessed about any other hobby?

• Sooner or later someone's gonna pull a trigger and I'll get to read yet another funny story online.

• there is nothing wrong with gun ownership as long as they are in the hands of sane, responsible people. that right there is the problem. it seems all too easy for any old joe to their hands on a fire arm.

you can just as much damage with a knife or a vicious dog.

• Stfu who is the one that decides who is sane or not? Oh yeah it's the government. And we know everyone sane there

• @Averageusername im really not. i dont even live in america so to be honest this topic is neither here nor there for me. im just sharing my opinion.

however, the problem seems to be that anyone can get a gun in the states and sadly too many fall into the hands of the mentally ill. who decides whos mentally ill? its an age old psychology question with a very limited answer.

however, in the hands of someone who has been trained properly, who is sane and who is responsible... someone who has respect for the weapon then there is no reason not to allow gun ownership. IF CONTROLLED PROPERLY.

I've been trained to use many different weapons from pistols to assault rifles. from shotguns to anti tank weapons and everything between. If I owned a gun at home I sure as hell would make sure its safe and secure. why? because i know it can do major harm.

• now, as I've already stated people can do just as much harm with a knife or a car for example. we had an isis attack on one of our squaddies a few years ago. fusilier lee rigby was run over and beheaded by 2 fanatics wielding meat cleavers.
      They didn’t have guns and the attack was even more brutal than if they did have them.

There need to be appropriate laws in place to prevent people from carrying weapons as they see fit, but keeping them at home, or for sport is fine. In my opinion.

Now, you haven’t added anything to this debate as yet so im looking forward to a well thought out reply.

• From a European standpoint, it's both incredibly silly and incredibly tragic.

• Yes defo

• I don't know, but I don't like people from other countries who keep asking why some Americans are so "obsessed" with guns. Like don't y'all have better things to do than sorry about what we're doing and your own problems to worry about?

• 2nd Amendment right to bare arms. Get your gun now and register it now before they are outlawed if Hilary Clinton becomes President.

• 2nd Amendment clearly speaks about well regulated militias. Do you just so happen to be a well regulated militia? Are you still fighting the British? I know you right-wingers don't get this but when the founding fathers spoke about gun possession, they didn't mean "yeah let every idiot walk around with a semi automatic machine gun cuz that just seems like a totally reasonable thing to do"

• It counts politically but it doesn't count on the matter whether it is correct in the context of our discussion.

• This makes no sense. No president can invalidate a constitutional amendment. Weather the people elect Hilary Clinton or Jesus Christ. This is why pro gun people get a bad rap. Irrational, paranoid statements like yours. Your right to bare arms is pretty strong in this country.

• Well I can't really say, since i live in North Dakota, where a lot of families are fed primarily through a hunting rifle.

• As long as they don't come to my country I'm fine.

• Shooting targets is a fun hobby and even an Olympic sport. Hunting animals is also an interesting hobby and good way to put meat in your freezer.

• I think they need to PUT DOWN THE GUN, SIR, SIR PUT DOWN THE GUN, BEFORE SOMEBODY GETS HURT

• annoying

• We all have hobbies. I read up trivia on wikias, they shoot things.

• its normal, every populace of every country should be armed.

• Because a lot of us are scared little bunnies and guns make us feel better about it.

• I don't see a problem with being prepared.

• Cool

• I think guns are ridiculous so I'm not really sure why Americans obsess over them.

• They're not obsessed. Some like guns and some think guns should be banned

• It's brainwashed, paranoid right wing wackos who think the only thing stopping a totalitarian regime is their guns.

• A pretty fcked up nation.

I recently watched a news clip on YouTube where some shooting took place (yeah, I know - "shooting in America", shocking!) and one of the residents in a neighbourhood, which is "usually somewhat quiet" stated that she then played the "Memphis game of guessing if it's fireworks or gunshots".

I really think that says it all about how fcked up the country is

• Obnoxious, mostly because more than half are also hyper-political about it.

• Depends how you define obsessed. I know people I would call obsessed with guns and people who just have and shoot guns. The obsessed ones are tiresome generally and occasionally scary, like most people who are obsessive about anything, people who are obsessively anti-gun for example.

The ones who just like to shoot are like anybody else.