Why do we treat people differently based on what they study?

Like if they are in something like Computer science, we are nicer to them than if they are in business.

Why do we do that? It's not like just because they studied computer science versus business they are better friends with us or the quality of the conversation we have with them is going down.

EVERYONE does that, including me (I try not to). I just found out someone I knew was doing computer science instead of accounting and I thought better of that person and our interactions just because of that.

It's not fair to other people who notice the different ways in which we treat people and feel bad.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because most of the people who study computer science or engineering or economics or even law tend to be super judgmental and cocky about their own field of study. They think they're so much better and smarter than anyone else. Best example: I study liberal arts myself. And no, I won't apologize for it because I think liberal arts subjects are awesome and very important for our society. Western civilization was largely built on liberal arts. HOWEVER, I don't despise subjects like engineering or economics. I don't have anything against them. I can't remember EVER having hear any history or philosophy or French literature major saying something like "oh yeah, those engineering guys are really idiots". NEVER! Most of my liberal arts friends are interested not just in their own field but in other fields as well. For example I love my two majors but I'm also very interested in completely different fields like astronomy or chemistry.
    And yet, I have listen to stupid hate comments from students of natural science subjects and tech-majors every week. I really don't know what's wrong with these people or why they're so bitter about us liberal arts folks.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should see people's reaction when I told them I study film.
    Just the typical "ohhhh" and stops talking to me.
    Lol I hate people who do that. Tells a lot of their character too.
    But hey, if you don't enjoy movies or TV that's not my problem haha

• What kind of work do you want to do later in the future tho?

• If you were to tell a Hispanic you would work telenovelas their eyes would flicker and light up

• But that's really cool. I hope it goes well for you

Sponsored

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 16

• I only judge people who major in things they won't be able to get a job in. For instance an art major or psychology major (who doesn't plan on furthering it) I haven't started college yet, but I'm going to study Business Management, Marketing, Accounting, and Business Development.

I also feel like the statement that engineers can do a business persons job, but not the other way around.

I can already say I'm no where near as smart as an engineer, but they'd only be super great at the number aspect (assuming they have no business knowledge) because you can't just run a business with no knowledge and expect it to succeed. On the other hand I personally couldn't do any part of an engineers job, but that doesn't mean any business man/woman is unable.

• A lot of people want to study what they're actually interested in and not what will make them rich jackasses. I don't care about earning 20,000 bucks a month, I care about life quality. Life quality to me means doing something that fulfills me. Your greed for money might make you blind but that's no reason to be condescending towards people like me.

• Thank you, it was interesting to read your explanation. I appreciate you taking the time. I'm sorry if I came off as rough but you have to understand that people in my area of study (liberal arts/humanities) are quite sick of being insulted and made fun of. I now understand that you're not one of those people who generalize everyone but unfortunately, there are still a lot of people in your field (or also among natural science folks) who act like they're so much smarter and cooler and I just can't hear it anymore (as you might understand). I've never quite understood this hatred because it's usually one-sided. There are a lot of engineering or econ students who condescend towards liberal arts students but not really the other way around. I think people should be interested in everything. My dad is Greek and when I was a child, he used to tell me a lot about the ancient philosophers who wanted to know about everything... be it history or art or mathematics or medicine... I like that.

• @BlueCoyote that sounds interesting, want to know as much as I can and I think the main thing is neither of us were familiar with what country the other was in and how much school was because I definitely do not hold my general beliefs about Liberal Arts degree for your country, but in mine like I said it's not reasonable.

I also appreciate your explanation and I enjoyed talking with you about this it was interesting to learn about the way school works for you.

I'd just like to point out in neither country do I think I'm better because I'm studying Econ, but here things you can't get a job in are strongly advised against.

If there's any other known difference between our countries I'd love to hear them

• As an English major, I agree.

STOP ALWAYS EXPECTING US TO PROOFREAD YOUR ESSAYS!

The truth of the matter is that most of us are already backed up on our own essays that we need to complete in a short period of time, so pressuring us to handle yours is really a hassle.

• The human race is still quite primitive.
    Intelligence and wisdom are too different things, and people rarely work hard enough on growth in wisdom and spirituality. Nothing is wrong with science or technology, of course. We simply need to work on wisdom more often and strongly than we do. (All this refers to me, as well... I have a strong and loving relationship with God, but still need to focus more often on what He has taught me.)

• I don't understand. I'm a business major... business economics and finance, and if anything, I'd say that we have the upper hand in these kinds of situations. But I don't really understand the context in which you're asking this question from..

• Not really. A LOT of computer science kids can go through a business program but not the other way around. Lotsa dumb people in business programs.

I mean why do we treat some people better than others just because of what they study

• Well it depends on what business school you go through. Mine was ranked in the top 50 of the country, so I don't think myself or any of my classmates were "dumb". Look at it this way... yes, a computer science major or some kind of crazy engineer might be insanely smart, right? I agree. BUT they are only smart in that one very small area in which they specialize in. Ultimately, when they get a job, who are they working for? BUSINESSES! It doesn't matter how much they know about computer science because if they don't understand how companies, capitalism, or money works, then they're basically worthless. They have no way to earn an income from their skills. It's the business people who monetize it. I'm a regional manager for a global corporation. Almost all of my subordinates are brilliant engineers, but it's the ONLY thing they know. They lack social skills, common sense, business knowledge, etc. and it's for those reasons that I am their boss and not the other way around.

• If it weren't for engineers, you'd have nothing to sell. Also, their jobs are WAY harder than yours. So were their educations.

• Can't recall ever doing that, sorry.

• Uh I can't recall ever doing that.

• I get mad respect when I tell people I'm an engineering student.. can't lie here.

• Do you think you deserve the respect?

I don't mean that in a condescending way, I was just wondering when others put people on a pedestal what their internal reaction is

• I was having this conversation with someone a long time ago, and he was complaining that law schools look at engineering and arts the same way, and this gives arts an advantage which is not fair because it's easier. I understand why he would feel that way, sometimes I feel that way over business... but really what has engineering got to do with the law?

If there's an English major who is doing well they're probably going to be better suited for that career path anyways, so it makes sense to give them credit where it's due.

I think it boils down to yeah it's okay to feel good about yourself and realize not a lot of people could do what you do, but I don't think it's okay to think you're better than everyone else, (not saying you do, but I'm sure that happens a lot, I know it does in business)

• I agree.. I'm not condescending at all and I think you need to study what you are interested in. I'm just not going to downplay what I do and have to do. It's just a ridiculous amount of work.

• people discriminate others for everything.

• It's annoying when people do that. I want to do design idgaf what anyone thinks. If they want to interact different with me then go shove your degree up your asshole

• Lots of majors are a waste of time, money, and lead to nowhere. I judge people for that kind of shit, too, because it tells me that they have no foresight and don't understand that the cost outweighs any benefit of taking frivolous courses.

• I don't agree with that.

I recently went to an Ivy League University and one of the guys I met was doing a course of study that could be considered frivolous.

He was a terrific actor and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he really wanted to do with his life, but an education can always help because it makes you much more aware of what's going on in the world and gives you a different perspective on life

• Ok, but have fun paying off your tuition when you can't get a job that'll provide enough dough to get you out of debt within 10 years because you have a worthless major.

• I'm pretty sure he had a lot of aid because he was talking about how a lot of bursaries are available if your income level falls below a particular bracket.

You know in my country student debt is really less compared to the US and this issue of people judging others based on a course of study they take is still prevalent. It's ridiculous.

• Because they are judgmental assholes

• Money grubber like doctors and engineers because of money...

• It's not like they every ask engineering problems... They always want to know how much you make though...

• No I don't think this is it.

There could be a rich businessman who didn't go to University earning much more than a doctor, and he would be treated better than the doctor for sure.

Also are you sure? I know lots of stupid people in life science programs.

• I suppose it depends on the university you go to. Some programs are tougher than others. There are also plenty of people that enter life sciences that never make it through the program because it's too hard. They all have high hopes of becoming a doctor and then they hit organic chemistry and just can't handle it and then switch to something like accounting...

• i don't. computer science is pretty nerdy.

• You know my knee jerk reaction was to point out to you, 'Well could YOU have done computer science," and then I stopped myself.

I realized my mother's reactions to people have come within me, which is so unbelievably sad.

I think a large part of this is conditioning. The way we treat others, especially in regards to this topic

• I don't know. I actually have problems getting along with people that have gone to college for the reason I don't value college at all. I treat them just like anyone else. As a result they often get offended at my not thinking they are better than me since I have a high school degree.

I really do lose a lot of respect for people that go into liberal arts though. College exists to get a job, not to prove you are a better person, and people with liberal arts degrees tend to embody the attitude that college makes them a better person, regardless of how useless their degree is more than anyone. I am sure there are some exceptions to that, but I haven't met any.

• Is anyone really 'better,' than anyone else? Just because someone pursued a course of study God knows how many years back, (I've met people who are in their 40s that get special credit because of the University they attended), should they be treated better? I mean they're not even working hard NOW they did that when they were in their early twenties. It's ridiculous.

I don't have anything against liberal arts. I think there could be some skills taught that are valuable, like reading large amounts of information, critical thinking skills, etc. I remember when I used to take my English electives, a large part of the coursework was history and that was so interesting I was fascinated learning things about other cultures that I hadn't before.

• whoa really? I didn't know that, that's seriously messed up (the doctor's part).

You know I've always suspected, when I meet people who are really stuck up, that it's the parents who are actually behind it. If a parent tells a child hey don't be arrogant everyone's the same, the child will feel guilt about treating people differently.

But if the parents themselves teach their kids that they're better tahn everyone, that child won't even FEEL guilt treating others badly.

I think liberal arts majors who went to college to feel better than non-graduates also have to face the criticism that most people have towards them, which is that they are studying something useless, not as good as other majors like bus. engineering etc. and they probably have low self esteem because of that

The next time a liberal arts major tries to do that, remind them that Bill Gates never went to University and look at where he ended up :)

• I agree on every point. I met a coworker once whose dad was the CFO for our company. He swore poor people were poor because they were lazy, so I do think that it is mostly the parents teaching those lessons.

• I'm brilliant in most everything I do (except physical stuff). I studied medical, computer science, law, and business management. I think the reasoning behind this aforementioned "judging" is the difficulty of the field in which they par take.

• Because it's not just something you studied.. It's your profession, people tends to look up to people with profession that's regarded as hard or cool or respectable blah blah

• I think it makes sense and most of us do this.

But it starts getting way murkier and complicated when there are two brothers for example, and one is getting more attention and respect from everyone just because of what he studied whereas the other one is neglected and treated badly.

What Girls Said 9

• We all know an athlete business major.

But being serious, I benefit from that thing you're talking about, I tell people where I go to school and what I study and what field I want to work in, and they're like "oooh" and ask a bunch of questions and show interest. It feels nice.

• I don't know. I think a lot of people assume that business students are snobs. At least that's the reputation we have at my school just because some business students dress a certain way.

• I have no idea what you are talking about. Never in my life have I ever judged someone or treated them differently because of those things.

• I feel like it has to do with people thinking what they want to think and also that certain jobs could be known for requiring more rigorous precious education/more competitive field, so they treat these people with more respect. (Aka neurosurgery or neuropsychopharmacology which is the field I am persuing)

• Either way no matter what someone studies, they are still both equally smart, just in a different way :)

• cuz business can't fix my computer for free when it gets broke :P

• I don't do that even a little.

• Cause people are superficial idiots.

• since when does that happen? i've never heard of that.