Is the sky blue?

• Yes
  • No
1/3? Smh... :(

Most Helpful Girl

• Sunlight reaches Earth's atmosphere and is scattered in all directions by all the gases and particles in the air. Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. This is why we see a blue sky most of the time.
    http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/blue-sky/en/sky4.en.png

Source : NASA lmao.

Most Helpful Guy

• The light from the sun looks white. But it is really made up of all the colors of the rainbow.
    A prism separates white light into the colors of the rainbow.

When white light shines through a prism, the light is separated into all its colors. A prism is a specially shaped crystal.

If you visited The Land of the Magic Windows, you learned that the light you see is just one tiny bit of all the kinds of light energy beaming around the universe--and around you!

Like energy passing through the ocean, light energy travels in waves, too. Some light travels in short, "choppy" waves. Other light travels in long, lazy waves. Blue light waves are shorter than red light waves.

All light travels in a straight line unless something gets in the way and does one of these things:—

reflect it (like a mirror)

bend it (like a prism)

or scatter it (like molecules of the gases in the atmosphere)

Sunlight reaches Earth's atmosphere and is scattered in all directions by all the gases and particles in the air. Blue light is scattered in all directions by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmosphere. Blue is scattered more than other colors because it travels as shorter, smaller waves. This is why we see a blue sky most of the time.

What Girls Said 16

• The sky as we perceive it is blue generally. Weather and the setting sun changes what we're able to see. The answer you'd give a 5 year old on a day they choose to be petty is yes, but in reality it's probably clear. It's the same with water. It takes on certain colors depending on how it's effected but is generally blue.

• Nope.

• Its all a reflection of moisture in the air. Its not blue nor is anything on earth. Everything is grey. ... veiled in the illusion and color of life

• Damn... so much darkness :/

• haven't thought if that in years. I remember sitting in class about 7 years back when i learned that. didn't seem so dark back then.. lol sorry.

• We see it as blue typically, but it looks that way based on wavelengths of light.

• Uh, no.

• No, it's not actually blue. It only looks that way because of the reflection of blue light.

• No it's just a reflection:/

• Lol actually no , the aky is blue because in the light spectra the blue colour has the shortest wave length so it hits the air molecules so the sky appears blue

• @Omar5881 You people are seriously making me wanna write a myTake about colour. Violet is the shortest wavelength. Every colour hits the air molecules, however the sky is blue because blue light radiation is what gets reflected.

Sarra, every colour is a reflection. My pen is red because it reflects red light.

• @Pac-Man yes violet is the shores I know but blue comes in the short category I bet he finds a hard time finding a girlfriend 😂😂😂😂 Anyway wgat I say ain't wrong

• ik what this is about ;) and sometimes, depends on if it's a figure of speech or a literal question if the sky is blue where i live. rn it's near black.

• It bugged me so much yesterday xD I want to know how many people actually believe that.

• On Earth? Duh, obviously ;)

• Nope, we see it as blue due to Rayleigh scattering.

• It is seen as blue, but aren't specifically blue.

• A cloudless daytime sky is.

• Nope.

• Nope it's a reflection

• Science makes us what we are. I love questions like this.

• It's clearly purple.

What Guys Said 22

• Yes its blue. Like I said in the comment section the visible light is a form of radiation and each colour has a different energy level. Depending on the material, that energy is either absorbed by its electrons, or reflected. My red pen successfully reflects red light radiation which goes into my eye where electrons get excited by its energy into a higher state, and am electric signal travels to my brain which is telling me that the pen is red.

Our atmosphere is in fact blue because the air reflects blue light more than red light. However, during sunset blue light cannot reach our line of sight (short wavelength) but read light does (longest wavelength) which is why the sky looks red. The highest wavelength is also the reason red objects are visible from further distance.

• So it's not blue.

• Of course when blue light is taken out the spectrum during sunset it won't be blue lol. During normal conditions is what counts.

• Define blue and sky. It looks blue due to how light interacts with the atmosphere (I believe its mostly the nitrogen that reflects blue wave lengths) however if we are going to get really technical, then nothing has a color as color is specificly due to ligth waves being reflected or absorbed so only light has a color not matter.

• Yes it is blue while the light acts on it. During that moment it is in fact blue. Colors are subjective so stating it isn't blue is like stating your white walls are in fact black in absolute darkness without lighting acting on them. All colors are based on the reflection of light in the visible light spectrum into our eyes. We tend to think of our eyes like video cameras that give us absolute truth about our environment but it's subjective based on light. The whole evolution of our distinction of light exists purely to define our environment and differentiate between objects.

• If you want to get into semantics, nothing is absolutely the color it appears. It is only that color because the wavelength that corresponds with that color enters the eye, and it is also only that color because the brain interprets wavelengths as colors. Everything we sense is an interpretation of stimuli.

If you want to examine the sentence as a simple, atomic sentence and not scrutinize it beyond that, then yes, the sky is blue.

• It's not, it's looks like it though, due to the light. As you know, white light is in fact made up of all colours. These colours all travel in waves, blue, being the shortest/quickest.

• I dont wanna be that guy but violet has the shortest wavelength, not blue, and red is the fastest (highest wavelength). Of course talking about the visible spectrum.

• @Pac-Man True, but we see it as blue, due to the light. It's still funny to me that it's blue, even though it's fairly close to green anyway.. we're supposed to have the easiest time, perceiving green.. but oh well, who am I to judge the laws of nature.. ^.^

• "A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight."

• Depends on what elements within the atmosphere are reflecting the sun's visible light. Nitrogen tends to reflect blue and since our atmosphere is 75% Nitrogen that's what we usually see.

• Does the Pope shit in the woods?

• That doesn't answer my question.

• Thus why I responded with the light spectrum comment lol

• I know, I was talking to the other guy.

• Yes.

• Well our sky appears blue from here but it ain't blue

• From our typical point of view. Do you think otherwise?

• The sky is just air, it's no object, therefore there's no color. The color comes from the sun, and sunlight is white (mix of all the colors), but when it hits the airs particles, we see it blue because of the shorter wavelength of the blue color. That's why during the sunset the sky is reddish.

• Cause space doesn't have the same particles and chemicals we have in the Earth's atmosphere, so the light doesn't look blue from space. You see the oceans, lakes, rivers... blues cause of the reflection.

• @Pac-Man I meant the color from the sky.

• No, it is red.

• it might actually be water that makes the sky blue

• It isn't really. It also doesn't always look blue.

• In all technicality it isn't actually blue but...

The sky is still blue.

• Depends. What planet?

• More greyish right now, its very cloudy.

• Nah boyo it's red. Alien invasion is happening

• No, the sun is blue and a number of other wavelengths of light...

• No, that's racist.

• Well on some days it looks gray because of the storms

• That's the craziest thing I've ever heard, it's obviously yellow.