I've never dealt with serious humidity so any tips and advice for moving to Florida?

I'm going to be living in Pensacola, Florida from December to August 2017 (obviously lol) I'm from the southwest where it's a dry heat so i've never really had to deal with humidity but all anyone can say is "Good luck feeling like you're always under a wet blanket in the heat!" any tips? And I won't be able to just stay inside, my job will require a lot of outside work and physical activity.

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh. You'll get used to it.
    I mean, really, that's all I can say, is... You'll get used to it.
    I grew up in Southern California, and I've lived in both Tokyo and Houston (both of which have hot humid summers, especially Houston)... and I acclimated to both climates pretty quickly.

Couple of things.

• As much as you might be tempted, DO NOT hang out in super-cold A/C all the time. If you do this, then you simply won't ever acclimate to the conditions.
    You MIGHT want to turn the A/C up really cold when you go to sleep (most studies show that people sleep deeper when the room is silghtly too cold)... but not the rest of the time. The rest of the time, you should let the indoors be just about as hot as you can comfortably stand.

• If you are asthmatic, or have chronic bronchitis or some other lung-related issue, then the humid climate will be good for that. Asthmatics breathe MUCH easier in humidity.

• Humidity is VERY good for yr skin.

• On the other hand, it's shit for yr hair. If you've ever been on the fence between cutting yr hair short and leaving it long... this may be the time to chop it. Lol.

• If you've gotten accustomed to wearing yr clothes a few times before having to wash them... Ahahahahahahha.

• You don't have to drink QUITE as much water to stay hydrated as in a dry climate (since you don't sweat as easily, so you won't lose water as quickly).
    Ironically, this is the same reason why humidity is uncomfortable to begin with -- you don't have "evapotranspiration" (cooling down by letting sweat evaporate). But, point is, the risk of dehydration is lower. You don't have to be chugging down tons and tons of fluids all the time.

• It's still hot at night during the summer. I don't know about you, but, I LOVE hot summer nights. That's pretty much the only thing I don't like about California weather -- it's always cold at night, no matter what.

• I don't know if it's the same way in Tokyo or h town (I should since I have 2 sisters there), but the reason the rooms need to be teal cold is because if you turn it down, bugs and lizards get in... Try walking up to bugs all over the place a big ass centipede in the middle of your room and a couple lizards on the ceiling the next morning 😳

• Tx for the MH luv. <3

• No problem dear :)

What Guys Said 4

• Taking advice from the US Army who had to send men and women to fucking Iraq , a place MUUCCCCCH hotter than Florida.
    Lots of water and repeated exposure to the heat , no aircon , just water.
    www.armyprt.com/.../heat-acclimatization.shtml

• That's also a dry heat 😑

• Summer in Vegas was bae. I still miss it, badly.

I mean... in that kind of heat and sunshine, I even turn *myself* on, lol. Like, the smell of my own shoulders in the hot sun <3

I mean, I *do* have the exact body type that maximizes the ratio of surface area : volume. And both of my parents are/were, literally, desert people.

• @redeyemindtricks
      Summer in sin city , I'll BET my ass it was bae BAHAhHAA , never quite understood the fascination with the sun but then again maybe family has something to do with it , that desert people heritage :P
      My lineage goes more back to the sort of nomadic inlanders , highland farmers , the sort , cold and humid weather is the bread and butter of their lives and now there's me.
      Climate preference , it's in the genes.

• Oh wow that sounds terrible. I'm from the midwest, so my advice to you is to not move there haha. I'd die.

• Just don't be smelly OP.

• Well make sure you have good A/C for when you're home. Just drink lots and lots of fluids. Always have a bottle of water on you. If you do that it won't be all that bad really. You'll get used to it real fast. The key is just to stay hydrated.

What Girls Said 1

• Stock up on deodorant.