Rate this Mythological creature: The Mermaid?

a legendary aquatic creature with the head and upper body of a female human and the tail of a fish. Mermaids appear in the folklore of many cultures worldwide, including the Near East, Europe, Africa and Asia. The first stories appeared in ancient Assyria, in which the goddess Atargatis transformed herself into a mermaid out of shame for accidentally killing her human lover. Mermaids are sometimes associated with perilous events such as floods, storms, shipwrecks and drownings. In other folk traditions (or sometimes within the same tradition), they can be benevolent or beneficent, bestowing boons or falling in love with humans.

The male equivalent of the mermaid is the merman, also a familiar figure in folklore and heraldry. Although traditions about and sightings of mermen are less common than those of mermaids, they are generally assumed to co-exist with their female counterparts.

Some of the attributes of mermaids may have been influenced by the Sirens of Greek mythology. Historical accounts of mermaids, such as those reported by Christopher Columbus during his exploration of the Caribbean, may have been inspired by manatees and similar aquatic mammals. While there is no evidence that mermaids exist outside of folklore, reports of mermaid sightings continue to the present day, including 21st century examples from Israel and Zimbabwe.

Mermaids have been a popular subject of art and literature in recent centuries, such as in Hans Christian Andersen's well-known fairy tale "The Little Mermaid" (1836). They have subsequently been depicted in operas, paintings, books, films and comics

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh its ok
  • 2/5 i dont really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!

Most Helpful Girl

• Has a lot of potential, but rarely realizes it. The things that could be explored with mermaid culture could be pretty spectacular, but rarely do we see something outside of the ever so popular happy kind mermaids that swim in shallow and beautiful waters. Whale mermaids, angler fish mermaids, deep sea mermaids, shit like that would be super cool and 5/5. But mostly the only mermaids we see are the standard young women with shell bras and pretty fish tails, which is really more 3/5. Neat concept originally, but is now kinda worn out and needs to be explored further to be interesting.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nice, also I actually must correct something there is actually a little bit of evidence to support that mermaids or at least a creature like them exists or did exist, cave drawling that depict actual events, some kind of war between humans and some kind of half man half fish creature they were peaceful at first, we shared fishing grounds with them. But then something went wrong the cave drawings don't say what, but a war erupted and we won.

Also Dolphins doesn't anyone find it weird that dolphins know how to expertly fish and work in conjunction with human fishermen to trap and steer herds of wish towards fishing nets even though we never trained wild dolphins how to do that in the first place. And then to make it more odd, on top of them knowing how to do that, they aren't afraid of the fishermen and they expect and know they will get rewarded with fish from the catch, almost as if they've done it before with someone, or something and been trained how to do it by something.

Now it could just be my crazy mind at work but even though Dolphins are very smart and intelligent, even they wouldn't know how to expertly work with fishermen to fish and trap fish and then come right up to the shore unafraid and knowing they'll be rewarded unless they've done it before and were trained how to. And this was the first time these fishermen had ever done this with dolphins and these are wild ones to. Just saying, seems a bit odd don't you think.

What Girls Said 17

• When they're the dangerous, 'murder all sailors' kind - 5/5. When they're the Disney kind, 2/5.

• MERMAIDS ARE MY FAVORITE!! ❤ *fangirl scream*
    67.media.tumblr.com/.../...wtWNWF1ui5anco1_500.gif

• Haven't seen them much in video games but in pirates of the Caribbean they seem like vampire like mermaids. :D

• my fav one!

• I like mermaids.. They are cool

• Probably my favourite one!

• i fucking love these questions. Sirens are my favorite mythological creature. <3

• But I am a mermaid and I want to be PARTTT OF YOURRR WORLDDDDD*Ariel voice* one of my top favs!

• I am one! :D

But seriously, I miss the days when they were considered deadly creatures. Disney kinda changed that

• /o/ They're my favorite~

• Mermaids are great. I wish to be one

• Vote A. One of my nicknames + something I dream of being daily.

• I love mermaids and mermen they are in my favorite list

• It's okay

• 5/5 I love mermaids

• It is my favorite mythological creature of all time. Love this beautiful creature.

• I'd like it better if she was something like a half dolphin instead of fish. Then she would at least have a vag.

What Guys Said 5