How did you figure out how to get directions somewhere before google (or any other websites) maps?

serious question. I can't remember what I used. lol :p

Most Helpful Guy

• A few years ago I traveled to London and I really wanted to go and check out a record store; well I printed out a map off MapQuest... turned out to be the biggest effin' mistake ever.

After being totally confused at not finding the friggin' store, despite being where the MapQuest map told me it was, I hailed down a cab and he totally made my day!

Not f*cking MapQuest!

And now I'm seeing people getting lost - and they have GPS systems! I don't understand why the eff it's so hard for manufactureres to have correct maps in their friggin' GPS systems!

Hell - until the day I die, I'll never ever rely upon technology when I have to find someplace; I'll just buy a map at the airport and have that instead of the completely and utterly useless GPS systems

• lol, my mothers GPS sends her in circles all the time

• I don't understand it. I thought technology was supposed to make our life's easier, but it just doesn't. It saddens me the all too many times when I hear that people get lost because of their GPS systems and reading comments on technology sites where people are laughing at them - I don't get how GPS are praised and are yet completely and utterly useless. It should be the GPS systems that should be the laughing stock of the technically minded people.

Most Helpful Girl

• The old paper maps.

What Guys Said 28

• get out a map... which was a piece of paper with lines and names of streets on it. they still have them in the smithsonian. It required some learning to figure out the directions and up and down and reading it.

• We had maps and atlases and we asked other people for directions. This all happened in the days when people actually talked to each other instead of just sending text messages.

• Paper maps. I've always been interested in maps.

I used to deliver pizza in the late 80's - long before GPS and before cell phones. We had to read a wall map and remember where we were going, or find a pay phone and call for directions. I made a lot of money because I knew the area so well - because I read the maps well.

But I also bought a Thomas Bros. map book as a back-up. That was the standard pre-GPS mapping source for professionals.

ecx.images-amazon.com/.../..._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• whoooa! I never thought about what delivery people did when they got lost in the past. haha

• Yeah - we'd have to find a gas station or grocery store with a working pay phone (which largely don't exist at all anymore, but were still necessary then) and try to call the customer. If we couldn't reach them, we'd call the store, give them the payphone number, and ask them to keep calling and call us back.

Our town was really growing at the time too, so there were lots of new streets that weren't on the maps, and there are always addresses that are out-of-order or otherwise hard to find, so it was definitely a struggle sometimes.

• images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...y9pJpYL.jpg

Still got one of those beauties somewhere, the 1998 edition or something lol.

• when walking?

• Oh when walking i used Landmarks + street names to navigate. But i live in London so the subway system gets me fairly close to wherever i need to go and it's easy to figure out from there. Used to ask the locals too for directions to a certain road.

These days i just talk to the car and she takes me there haha.

• An actual map BOOK in the glovebox lol
    images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...30,320_.jpg
    Ahhh... nostalgia

• what if you weren't driving? I doubt you carried a mapbook around with you.

• I kinda... always print out maps when I know I'm going to an unfamiliar place lol

• Maps from the Gas Station!

• Fold up paper maps. I even still have one in my glovebox. Lol

• Well , asking people around the street i guess ; p

• I used paper maps. 1:200,000 or army staff maps at 1:50,000.

• I asked people which way to go

• I used city maps. It wasn't to much more work it was maybe just a little harder cuz you had to actually find the place not just drive straight to it.

• I would call people and ask for turn by turn directions, and what freeway exit to use

• Maps or ask for direction

• Maps... Asking for directions... Honestly after 2002 i always had a GPS

• maps and atlas

• The power of asking people. And maps

• A map.

• I use People the Human App called Asking for Directions

• people tell me and draw a map lol

• I ride bikes all over the city/state I memorize the streets over time I set a map in my mind to help me incase I get lost. It helped me out for years

• The yellow pages had a map with a list of street names and coordinates.

• wow, no way! I never saw them. although, I sucked at finding things in the yellow pages. so glad I can just look it up online now

• Mapquest

• ok. haha. I never took geography. is it just learning where different places are or is anything else added in?

• We use the whole map, by looking at the letter number codes and all of the road distances and such.

• Just went to 7/11 and picked up a map.

• maps and street signs duuuhh

• By the sun
    Moon and stars

• Call the business & ask for directions & cross streets.

• I just used, and still use, ordinary maps. The problem with google is it gives the same route to everybody. Many times it's better to use back roads and alternate routes which a map will give you a better idea about if you can read one.

What Girls Said 14

• Regular maps? Lol That's actually a really good question...

• I grew up in a small town, and I rarely left that town unfortunately as a kid. If I did, it was because someone else took us places. I just knew where everything was in my town since I grew up there. I didn't have to look up anything. By the time I got a license to be able to go somewhere on my own, google already existed so I didn't have to worry about using something else besides the internet. I do remember my uncles using road maps a lot though. My one uncle was a trucker back in the day and he had a thick map book.

• I asked people? I dunno, I never got lost as I practically never left my home town and if I did it was with family.
    I only used Google maps when I got a school ipad just for fun and to look at other peoples houses. It was cool to look at my friends house because the google maps image showed it from before it was built.

• I just used to avoid going to new places on my own, or get lost. I still get lost when I use google maps.

• Asked people. I still do that now cause my Internet is too fucking slow for GPS. Or use real maps.

• A map... Lol

• >drive
    >get as close as my knowledge can take me
    >roll down window
    >ask person for directions
    >roll up the window
    >arrive at location

• It's called a road map. I still have them in cars.

• By using paper maps. They used to be free at gas stations. Now they're for sale!

• I don't remember them ever being free

• Really!! Yea well when we were kids they were free then during our teen years they were for sale. Yea and they're expensive for what they are.

• I screamed and cried to the direction gods
    Just kidding I used map quest and I had to print out the directions

• The mind...

• Maps or gps

• Ask the people outside...

• Map quest!