Is studying equivalent to a chore?

I don't know how people can actually like studying.

It's one thing to believe it's important to do (as is any other chore) to move forward in life, it's another to actually like it.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a chore to me and I virtually never did it. But it depends on what you call studying. I'd do some types of homework, but I don't call that studying. I call studying when you pour over books and notes trying to learn it that way. Even for finals I probably wouldn't do that more than a half hour to an hour max. I just really hate doing that.

• I hate it. It's not even interesting the way they make the system

Most Helpful Girl

• I liked it in college, but that's because for the most part I liked what I was studying. I wanted to learn more about it, as much as I could, so it was no chore.

I think busy work is a chore, though. Don't make it a homework assignment to write 10 pages of notes on a chapter. That's just unnecessary, and made me feel like the professor's babysitting us. I can study the material myself, in a way that's more meaningful and useful to me, and less time-consuming than mindlessly copying down information I already know.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes it is and at times I considered it just outright torture especially when it was useless bullshit that I'd never use

• You know I feel that way too, (honestly).

But for some reason when I try to express that I hesitate because I'm afraid people will think I'm not smart.

• I've never cared what others think. What they think doesn't matter. I failed algebra, grammar, and English because I refused to do a term paper. I still did my dream job for my dream company without a GED and proved everybody wrong. Not learning any of those things hast negatively affect my life in any way

• To some people, grunting out a steamer is a chore, to others an etherial delight!

• Yes it is a chore. I don't like it either.

• If you look at learning as a chore you are going to have a rocky road ahead of you.

• You know what I don't get? Why we look at studying as this MUST-have thing to do.

It's not something EVERYONE can do, (the same way not everyone can be a good driver. Some will be good some will be better, no big deal).

So why is it sorta like... if one person does it they're 'better' than others? Why do we respect studying more than hard-work?

IF someone is working as a janitor, why is that person's effort any less counted than someone who works as an accountant and takes most days off to golf?

• Because almost anybody can be a good janitor and far fewer people can be a good accountant. Also it requires an investment in time and education to make an accountant. It's the reason why an actual pie is more valuable than a mud pie and a well made pie made from tasty ingredients is more valuable still.

On top of that not everyone doing the same job does it equally well. One guy producing widgets will make 10 an hour and just keep doing that. Another will start by making 10 an hour then figure out how to make 15 then invent a better way to make widgets and start his own company revolutionizing the widget industry and making cheaper widgets for everyone. Should he be paid the same as the guy who is still making 10 widgets an hour?

What Girls Said 5

• It is a necessary evil but Hopefully you have a passion for some of things you study.

• Depends on what subject it is... like if it's one you like or are interested in.
    Studying can also be fun if you're doing it with friends.

• I love learning new things.

• They like it because they know it's important

• People only study because they want a good job in life. It is not a chore it is a privelage there are thousands of people world wide who want to study yet they don't have the funds to do it add to that the other thousands who want to study but were rejected. Anyone studying is lucky not burdened.