Are selfies narcissistic?

• yes
  • no
  • hold on, I have to take a selfie first

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I don't think they are narcissistic. It's funny, as a society we tell everyone they should be confident. But when they are feeling good about how they look at a particular time and try to document it by taking a selfie, we tear them down and call them narcissists.

I can see if someone is constantly taking pictures and obviously doesn't care about other people. But I don't think selfies are narcissistic. Are we not supposed to take pictures? I like to update my profile picture every now and then.

We are all fighting a battle with our self-esteems. It's not something most openly talk about, but I've read enough things to see that lots of people struggle with body image and self-esteem. So I feel like selfies can help with that.

What Girls Said 13

• Our current society didn't invent selfies. Humans have always been vain, people used to sit for hours getting portraits of themselves done. So any selfies from this generation are no more narcissistic than these examples.
    a.fastcompany.net/.../...vintage-selfie-1920-2.jpg
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...mera,_roughly_1900.jpg

• its the amount of selfies that make them narcistic.

• @anonman32 true if a person is uploading multiple ones everyday there's a good chance they're narcissistic

• Sure, but they're no more narcissistic than sitting for hours to have a portrait taken.

• It depends on the amount of selfies one might take.

• Yes. They very much are. But at a certain point. Like if you're someone that never takes selfies and someone asks for one then no. But if you have over 20 in your phone then of course

• yeah I think it is, if your phone contains 1000 selfies, then you're a camera whore. I hate selfies...

• If its in high abundance yes

• No not reallly. I have to be in a good mood to feel like that.

• I don't think so, but then again I take a bunch of selfies to make myself feel better about myself...

• Vote B. Tbh, I view selfies as the polar opposite.

I personally find beauty in other people and nature.
    My own image TOTALLY bores me.

• Mine disturbs me.

• @Aqualung I still can't find your pic and am not scrolling anymore. Keep smiling. Peace xo

• I agree.
      I never put my pic up - I very rarely or never like the way I photograph

• Yes, sometimes. I also think they are stupid.

• Sometimes

• Yes but that's the society we live in

• Yes, very.

What Guys Said 18

• Not necessarily lol.

By definition narcissistic means "having or showing an excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance." Basically thinking high of yourself. People take selfies to show other people how they look, or maybe to look cool, or to appeal to others, or to just fit in because everybody else is doing it. My point is that you dont have to think high of yourself to take a selfie.

• my main pic is a selfie technically since I took it myself, and for once in my fucking life. i have a good pic of myself instead of some shitty low quality pic, taken with bad lighting etc.. etc... so nah, I think people have the right to present their best self if they can allow it. =) presentation is key after all.

• I chose yes but now that I give it some thought it's no
    Nowadays most apps are revolving around the idea of ur own face take Snapchat for example. It became a habit now everyone opens his phone and view himself and take selfies subconsciously.
    Narcissism is more general than a selfie because one can also be narcissistic on social media when theyre posting 24/7 their thoughts and opinions on things like they have some fking criticism job regardless on fishing for compliments on their physical appearance , it's narcissistic both ways

• No, if you take 600 of them a day, then maybe. But even then - out of the all the narcissistic things to do it's probably at the bottom of the offensive pile.

• Mine are lol

• No I do it all the time and I'm not narcissistic because I don't show them off. It's narcissm if you show them to everyone.

• Yes, like on Facebook and other social media when people frequently post pictures of themselves

• I suppose you could be a Vain Narcissist

• @Aqualung So narcissism is like a step above vanity? I find it funny though that narcissistic is synonymous with vain.

• If I'm being really honest the odd selfie to me is fine it's just another internet thing like tweeting or status updates on face book it happens

But when you get people taking selfies with every single time they do something then it gets a little annoying and narsasistic in my view, it's like me posting a status on face book all the time when I'm taking a dump you don't want to know all the time or at all

• more retarded, than narcissistic

• I said yes, but some is fine of course. All the time, no. Especially the same pose! I mean how many poses can you have with selfies anyway, right?

• I have a selfie as my computer background.

s33.postimg.org/.../...016_05_28_at_4_55_05_PM.png

• Only if you take a lot constantly and ask for attention.

• only if you make 32 of them every time you to the bathroom.

• Yes. A lot of young people are narcissistic YOLO types, which is why I hang out with older folks a lot.

• Yes, by definition. But, are they less narcissistic than professional Head-shots, Boudoir or other photography you'd pay for?

• Professional head-shots and boudoir pictures can serve a purpose whereas selfies are more or less just for the sake of themselves. Is it narcissistic if it serves a purpose?

• Aristotle, selfies serve the purpose of being able to take your own picture and doing whatever you want with it. I'm sure you've seen selfies.

• Hmm, I suppose it depends on the intention behind taking pictures, whether they're selfies, professional head-shots, boudoir, etc.

• Nope

• Never.

• Not at all!