Do you like your ideas to be challenged?

I find that most people on GAG don't like their ideas to be challenged. I've been asking lots of questions on GAG where I play the devil's advocate, just to get people to explain more, to challenge their ideas, which I find something really interesting, and a way to learn, but most people don't like that at all, they take it as offensive, many even end up blocking me because of that.

Anyways, do you like to have your opinions and ideas challenged?

• Yes
  • Sometimes, depends on the topic
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I love to play the devil's advocate! I like to learn. However, being naturally eager and curious, I also need to keep my soft skills sharp so I phrase and pace the conversation in a way that doesn't come off like an interrogation or being overly skeptical/overbearing. When to back off is important. My goal is not to challenge but to learn... or to teach.

On a growth level, it's all about balance. I can only form a true opinion once I know each side, intellectually and emotionally. Anything less is almost dishonest on my part - how can I know if I don't really know? I've learned the most from having my ideas challenged. It makes me think about them in ways i never had to before. It makes me have to defend what I say and face any weaknesses in my argument because I don't know everything.

On a strategic level, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." I need to know what ideology or mindset I'm up against in order to control the situation.

On an egoistic level, I don't want to be made a fool of. If there's an angle I haven't thought of, I don't want to be blind-sided by it in a situation that actually matters.

So far, it's win-win-win-win-win... For engaging in debate with an interesting adversary...

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of people don't know the enjoyment and reward of thinking from different sides of an issue - I don't know if that's just a fact of human psychology, or a failure of the education system, or both, or what. People desire simple answers in a complex world, and are willing to fight blindly for whatever log they've found to float on (massively mixed metaphor there, sorry!)

What Girls Said 28

• Sure, I don't mind. It's happened a lot, and I never take offense or block anyone over it.

I don't always stick around for a lengthy, prolonged discussion about it, though. There are arguments you've heard and responded to a million times, and doing it once more seems like a waste of time. Sometimes the conversation's going nowhere new, just in circles, so there's no point in continuing it.

Also, I have a life and other things to do '^^. Can't spend forever on an online debate or explanation. I'll just leave it be at that point.

• i do, but civilly. i fucking can't stand people who rebut in ways that are incredibly crass, illogical and rude. dont expect me to respect anything you have to say.

for example:

"what? that makes so sense. according to..., this is how it is and you're a moronic idiot that needs to get their facts straight"

ummmmm... wtf.

• Hmmm, in person, yes. I'm absolutely shite at arguing over the internet but I'm better at it in person with people I know. We have debates and arguments over shit all the time.

• I think most gaggers like to challenge other's ideas in order to feel like they've made someone feel stupid instead of introducing them to a new perspective. And when someone tells them they don't want a new perspective they don't respect that difference in opinion and won't leave them alone.

• Sometimes, depends on the topic

• Sometimes, sometimes not.

When I don't like them to be challenged is usually when I'm not in the mood to get in depth about anything.

• Depends on the manner in which the person or people are trying to challenge it. Often times people don't want to respectfully debate and challenge, they want to berate you and tell you that you're wrong.

• I love a good challenge. If I can rebute my belief then I have good reasons for it, but if not then it allows me to have a different way of thinking.

• Well also when the other person is being logical, using good reasons/examples etc. Not being an ignorant little dipshit.

• I love debates. I don't like trolls though.

• I think that people who really really don't like their ideas challenged at all, are a bit delusional. If you are going to live in this world, you have no choice but to accept the fact that your ideas and opinions will be challenged. Of course they can chose to ignore them, but that won't make them always right.

• I wouldn t still be in architecture if I couldn t handle it :P
    did you try that personality test by the way you sound like a bit like me the debater entp-a I guess. it was right on point man xD

• Yeah, if i say something i firmly believe it so sometimes i wish someone would come along so i can roast them wit the facts

• Yes. It shouldn't feel like/be a challenge if you're stating valid points.

• Only if the person is going to be logical about it and not throw some hissy fit.

• Depends on topic and my energy that day.

• If your going to challenge my ideas then be prepared for stiff competition. I don't like arguing but I will if I feel strongly about it

• I don't mind that at all, I actually like it. I think the exchange of ideas (in a respectful way) is very helpful.

• Constructively. I'm okay with being proven wrong as long as it's because of facts and sound reasoning and not because the other person can type more insults and cuss words in all caps.

• I love critical thinkers! Bring it on

• I like your questions but sometimes I dont know how to answer them, you like to speak politically at times - and I despise politics. I come here to have a therapy session! No offense ;-)

• Hahaha yeah, I like to get into politics sometimes :P
      I understand there's lots of people that don't like that kind of topics. It's fine though.

• But its good that you ask these questions, you're very intelligent so keep on asking you just might get the right crowd to answer them one day ♥

• Thanks! :)

• I am open to people challenging my ideas but definitely not my beliefs.

• No. I like to be right and I like people to validate my thoughts. Not disagree with me

• more often than not my ideas are not challenged but completely stepped on and squished

• Honestly i hate being challenged but i certainly appreciate it, making me think more thoroughly about my idea and logic. Despite the hatred, i won't block that particular person just because of that. He or she sure has his/her point.

• Vote A. I will always be open to conversation and debate.

• it goes both ways lol.

• i love to overcome challenges that I'm faced with

• I mean yes

• I love to have a challenge in art lol

What Guys Said 24

• Many people can't handle a good debate. I like my idea challenged and can go a long time and bring up different points to either defend my side or put down the other person's ideas.
    What i don't like is when people deviate from the topic and start name calling or making assumptions about my offline life. or even better, block me. It just goes to show my idea is superior and they can suck it.
    some people can't handle it. a good debate is with someone who either doesn't back down or in the end you just have to agree to disagree. i mean, after all, its all our opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs.

• "a good debate is with someone who either doesn't back down or in the end you just have to agree to disagree."
      No then you were just arguing.

• @Oram52 in a sense... except with arguing, people tend to leave the topic and attack the person.
      its harder when people are just voicing opinions to which everyone is entitled to.
      i'd be easier if there were fixed topics.

• Absolutely, I hate being wrong which is why I welcome my ideas to be challenged, its the only way to tell if I was right or not. An opinion that cannot hold up to scrutiny is as worthless as a boat that doesn't float. Thats why you have to not hold on to an idea or opinion to tightly otherwise it makes it difficult to let it go when its found to be lacking. I have also found that most do not handle criticism or challenge very well. Its a shame as its the only way to evolve ones mind and ideas.

• Generally yes. But not on gag, why waste time trying to debate with someone that can't even talk to women lol

• when I was a few years younger I used to like it - mainly when I was a late teenager, because I thought that was the best way to develop your ideas. now I see that it is better to be somewhat 'stable' in what you believe and that flip-flopping back and forth between ideological extremes does not always help you. sometimes it's better to just develop your own ideas than try to absorb from the infinite chasm of ideas that are not your own.

• Yes, push my boundaries. Let me know the other side of the story, just don't get personal when you get offended and keep it insult free

• I love a good challenge..
    ..
    ..
    But I'm usually right.. ^.^

• I ahve no problem my ideas being challenged, might not have time or interest. If I have nothing to say no point arguing. GAG isn't the place for debate or being challanged. Something like reddit be more suitable.

Many people don't want to debate just argue.

• I like them to be challenged in a knowledgeable way. I don't like when people challenge me by being hateful, cursing, or just flat out misrepresenting what I said or what I'm presenting.

• depends on what it is... but usually, if I have a strong opinion on something, you need to have good arguments or else it will be more annoying than anything else and feels like a waste of time. And some topics like religion, I don't even start.

• Provided there's truth to what they say, I'll be all ears. I don't like the hypotheticals, kids talking about things they know barely anything about.

• I'm always up for a debate if I see the opportunity. However, people never really challenge me since most of them are way too quick to penetrate the report or block button or use insults towards me.

• "most of them are way too quick to penetrate the report or block button or use insults towards me." Hahaha I feel you xD

• It's fuckin' annoying. Lmao 😂

• If someone who really wants to know information I sure like a challenge loo like you 😛 but some people want just to troll and insult they don't wanna learn

• If you're unwilling to defend your beliefs, why do you have them?

• As long as they are reasonable I enjoy a good debate

• No, because my ideas are right and should go unchallenged! ^_^

• Me! ME ME ME! ME!

• I don't mind opposing views as long as they're rational.

• Don't challenge my ideas!

• Yes I don't mind being challenged.

• Challenge me and I will win.

• Yeah sometimes depending on the topic

• Being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian just comes off kind of douchey sometimes.

• I understand that, but it's not just being contrarian, but wanting them to develop and giving them different scenarios to see how different their answer will be.

• of course, don't get me wrong, healthy debate is a great thing, but factual arguing is usually much more fruitful than arguing over philosophies because then you hit fundamental differences of opinion that can't really be objectively argued with data.

• yes, but then it's pretty fine to block strangers online.

• okay first question if you like challenges

show me the curve of the earth
    without NASA, , military, or government