Why the hell do cars have to exist?

One of my pet peeves is definitely people with a car. Not because I'm jealous that I don't have one; I would never want a piece of junk like that anyway. A person can never simply walk along the road peacefully anymore without the CONSTANT fear of having to watch out for cars. People can't ride a bike in peace because of motherfucking cars. It's like these cars have to literally breathe down your neck everywhere you go. Roads were built for the people, not for you motherfuckers with cars. I was taking my dog out for a walk today when I had just stepped off the pavement to cross and then this crazy mothefucker turns the corner wildly and wants to drive down. Like, excuse you, it's not enough that you're a grandpa and driving a car with a grandma, but they were both frowning at ME because THEY couldn't pass through. They were giving me such disgusting glares as I was looking at them passing by. The fucking arrogancy of people I swear. It's about time something was done about these stupid cars. Yes, they're helpful if you have no other means of transport / really need one in your life due to work and stuff but it's just too much. People are buying cars without a fuck in the world, and basically want to run over anyone crossing the road. Does anyone else agree that something really needs to be done about this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I totally agree with you but I also think it depends a lot on the country you live in (it would be interesting to hear where you come from). The solution to this problem is not to abolish all cars and go back to the 18th century but to find a way in which there can be a peaceful co-existence between cars and other people like pedestrians and cyclers. I believe in my country Switzerland, this has been achieved quite successfully, although some minor improvements could still be made.

I've lived in two foreign countries in my life - the USA and South Korea. Both of them have the same problem: they don't just appreciate cars, they're obsessed with them. Take the capital of Korea, Seoul (where I lived). In Seoul, there are a lot of big main streets that run through the city. Some of them have up to 12 lanes. In the middle of a city! There is one such street right in front of the university I attended. Crossing it felt like crossing a battle field. And of course these streets also just look very ugly. They cut right through the city like some sort of mine field and thus make city life outside your car almost impossible. Imagine for example having a nice little promenade with little shops and caf├ęs there... nobody wants that. Who wants to go for a "romantic" walk and window shopping along a 12-lane street?
    In the US, streets within cities don't have quite as many lanes but somehow they're still huge. Even worse, sidewalks in America absolutely suck. I love to go for walks (like all Swiss people ;-)) but going for walks in America is a pain. I lived in a small-to-medium sized city and the sidewalks were incredibly bad. Either they were crumbling and uneven or they didn't exist at all.
    The major problem is the same in Korea and the US: cities are made for cars, not for humans.

Now, in my country Switzerland, this is very different. First of all, we have an A-class public transport system. Not just within cities but between cities too. Trains run on the second (like a Swiss clock work ;-)) and there's literally no place in the country you can't reach by public transport. You can even get to some 400-people village somewhere in the mountains. There's always a train or bus going there at least once an hour.
    Our streets are generally much smaller than in other countries. The normal size is two lanes (one lane for each direction). Also, speed limits are relatively low. On major city roads, the speeds limit is 50 km/h (30 mph). Within neighborhoods, where

• people live, the speed limit is 30 km/h (18 mph). Speed limits are enforced severely and fines for speeding are pretty high. We also have a system of adjusting the fine according to one's income, so that rich people don't think of speeding tickets as pathetic. Two years ago, a multi-millionaire got a speeding ticket for 300,000 US dollars because he drove 130 mph on a highway, while the speed limit on highways is 75.
      Also, within cities we have bicycle lanes everywhere. This is also true for other European countries. The car drivers respect them because they know they'll get into big trouble if they don't. And finally, we have a lot of green within our cities. We try to create a country-side feeling even in the center of our big cities, with trees and bushes everywhere. Most cities also have an old town, where cars/motorbikes are prohibited altogether. In short: we make our cities for the people, not the cars. This way, the air is fresh, there's not much noise and being outside is fun.

• Wow, thanks for all the insight. Switzerland sounds like an awesome place to go to when I'm older :D sounds so peaceful, and holy shit, you can actually ride a bike freely without always having to watch out for cars? That's awesome lol. Can't say the same for Korea and the US though, that does sound horrible, the 12 lanes and all...

I come from a country called Bulgaria, and as any other country, most people have cars but some people still use carts and horses as transportation to bring materials to and fro and stuff. Many people are also poor though and there are also many immigrants and black people who are either very neglected and cursed at by other people because they whip the horses while passing by with them or because they're doing harm to someone else, or otherwise they're the ones bothering everyone else so it's a very so-and-so country. The nature there is really great though and there are lots of different towns and cities with stories and sights of their own.

• Unfortunately, the police here doesn't pay that much attention to the people who speed. At least, from my experience, people who I've seen speed or drink while drive have never been caught - I'm not sure about other places. The houses also aren't anything special and I'm not sure about the speeding limits though.

(sorry for late reply haha was having dinner)

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally agree! Also people are always concerned about no parking spaces but never about the environment or the annoying noises they keep doing with their cars (I hate when people get angry because they are stuck in trafick and start swearing like wtf were you expecting? Do you realize how many people have cars nowadays?) Also most of the people have cars just for the sake of having a car and just a few of them really need one. A walk never killed anyone nor riding a bike or taking a bus. But I realized people do this with most of the things they buy. We should consider better if we really NEED the thing we want so bad.
    Cars are good for families, for exemple, not rich people too lazy to walk to the gym..

What Guys Said 14

• Cars are evil.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJPheXmNBu4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1JbxK5d8eU

People legit SWERVE into you. On two wheels , i feel safer in a place where it's all bikers than drivers.

• Car exist because it helps us get to from point A to point B quicker.

As for you second question can anything be done. No cars are here to stay. Just be careful and watch the road. Not everyone drives crazy just most.

• People want to get from A to B in a simple, fast and efficient manner

It does make a difference if getting somewhere takes 30 minutes or 8 hours

But I personally don't have a license. I'd be a frickin' hazard and I don't want to kill neither myself or anyone else with how badly I'd be driving behind the wheels.

• One of my jobs is inventory of 13 stores that stretch almost 100 miles across the state. I couldn't do my job by bicycle as I only have so much time in the day. Yes I can bike 100 miles, but to get promptly to all of our stores would be an imposibble task.

• Because I am not gonna take a bus or train infront of all those potentially dangerous and even smelly or loud mouthed people. Plus I got no cardio and don't have time to walk to my college that's 20 minutes away, in a car I am by myself I can talk to myself which is sometimes fun wear at other cars that can't hear me and listen to music :D cars are great.

• Don't blame the cars... blame the idiots behind the wheel of the cars. Cars are awesome... until u put an airhead behind the wheel.
    i personally am one hell of a driver but have been in three wrecks because of other idiots who don't know how to steer.

• I blame both..
      The problem is people so badly want cars nowadays they don't even stop to think if they actually need one, especially teens of my age. They just want to show off. So many millions of people have cars and so many accidents happen just because of some stupid fuckers who don't know how to drive..
      Really makes me think that some kind of blind bat gave them their license in the first place.

• As a teen, it is just to show off, but when you get older, trust me, you don't give a flying f**h... like most people on here are saying, at that point, its just to get from A to B... and from B to A.

• I agree!

#Portlandia

• 3edgy5me

• Roads were actually built for cars, you can tell because of the asphalt and concrete, which were done specifically for car ride smoothness.

• Yeah.. but the world would be nicer with fewer cars, and people actually putting restrictions to who can buy cars or not.

• Everyone is corrupt at this point.

• @Asker all the more reason to not surrender more personal liberty to them

• Because St. Louis is fucking HUGE. They're efficient, they're better than most modes of transportation.

• There's always public transport or bicycles, that way at least a little amount of harm that we're doing so much of to the earth is reduced.

• I live in a county, there isn't public transportation for miles.

Believe me, I know, I know the horrors of climate change and we're seeing it already. THe hottest summer already, and it's may.

But cars aren't the place to start. We need to start elsewhere. We need to convince people, first.

• Yeah, I agree with that..

• without cars, we would all starve. I don't remember the last time I saw a huge farm near the city.

• Dude.
      If anything, cars will be the cause of the LACK of food. Cars cause so much global warming, and millions and millions of people own cars. All that horrible gas and pollution and scrap of junk mechanics make all contributes to the pollution of nature leading to the pollution of both soil and trees which really affects us. We do so much harm to our environment that eventually we really will die out as a species at the rate that we're going. Just a small patch of soil takes A LOT of time to form over the years, and humans tarnish it so easily. Cars, factories etc all these things are silently killing us while we're gullible enough to let them do so.

• 😂😂
    Shit happens cutie
    But it looks like you're mad at cars :P

• I am. It's really bullshit how people have to watch out for cars instead of the people DRIVING the cars watching out for the people. It really should be the other way around.

Especially how some people love cars so much. Underneath all the fancy paint and different car models and moulds lies the same engine and the same things used to make a car work. It's just the exterior which makes people so ''ooh myy goshh holyy shitt'' when it's all just a car which helps you get around, in the end.

• If you're a guy who has a car and drives considerately and doesn't just wish to trample people and speed, then no, I don't think you're stupid.

Umm.. nature is okay so long as I'm wearing a protective suit while I'm outside. I hate bugs and insects. I swear they're the spawn of satan.

• Haha 😂
      The way you talk is amazing and interesting :P

• Examble

• They are a tremendous reward to human psychology, like video games. A car is about the first thing people buy when they get enough money.

• Well isn't that just incredibly stupid..

• People are pretty stupid in the face of temptation. A rational government should have regulated the automobile, restricting it to people who had a good public reason to have one. Businesses, doctors, emergency services & etc but that horse left the barn a long time ago.

• Yup..

What Girls Said 7

• Eventually all the cheaply exploitable fossil fuels will run out, and some alternative will have to be found. Much as I love horses, they're quite expensive and finicky to keep up. Quite honestly, without modern transportation, I wouldn't have been able to have the same access to education that I have had. Maybe you should work on your spatial awareness, or take your dog to a designated walking trail.

• You sound very irrational. It's not the car's fault the people driving it are incompetent.

"Not because I'm jealous that I don't have one; I would never want a piece of junk like that anyway".
    Saying that makes it sort of seem that way tbh, no one accused you of that yet you jumped to your defense lol.

• Anytime I share my opinion on any other social media someone would always jump up with 'lol you mad?' or 'you jelly?' when I'm really not. I only wanted to clarify that just in case. No one needs to ''accuse me'' of anything , I just wanted to have that in the open though.

The car is one of the many main reasons that the earth is being harmed, releasing all it's gas into the air isn't pleasant for any organism. Neither us, nor plants, nor trees, or anything. Cars also interfere a lot with our daily lives if we're trying to take a simple walk there's all this disgusting air if you live in the city due to cars and other things. If the people were driving anything else, I still would've been annoyed. The matter here is that something should really be done about cars.

• I'm sorry that happened to you, but my vehicle gets me where I need to go a lot quicker than walking. It takes me 25 to drive to work. I don't even want to know how long that would be with walking.

• What about a bicycle?

• I have nothing against bicycles, but I have no place for a bicycle at my place and need to haul a couple of kids I nanny from time to time in my car.

• What country do you live in? It's mostly safe in mine (Belgium), but public transportation in VERY slow and won't get you everywhere. So I prefer using my car.

• Bulgaria.
      What about bikes?

• That's a good and safe option if you only have a 15 km driving distance. But not for groceries and longer distances (which most people have to do for their jobs/seeing friends/seeing family/etc). I get sweaty very fast, so I don't like biking long distances if I have to meet people there (school/job/supermarket)

• Yeah, I see your point..

• Sorry but I think cars are one of the best creations ever made in history.

• Don't get me wrong, they're definitely useful - but more than half of the world's population drives irrisponsibly and it can be really fatal. And millions upon millions have cars nowadays. They really increase global warming. Soon enough, we won't have a planet to live on.

• if you live in my village you ll undertsand why it exist

• Would you prefer we all rode horses instead?