Has the world officially lost the plot?

Recently a gorilla was shot dead by zoo staff , after a 4 years old child fell into his enclosure. This became major issue with people plastering their opinions everywhere, article after article in the newspapers and many of them been devastated about the gorilla's killing. Regardless who is right and wrong ( parents should look after their kid, zoo should made it impossible to be able to reach the enclosure etc etc) this end up in a situation when a 200kg massive creature who was disoriented by the crowd screaming was dragging a little boy like a doll. Note this is not the jungle book or a Disney movie, this is reality and it all came down to whose life should be protected. Once upon a time there would be no questioning , the child is more important but not nowadays. Now i saw vigils for the dead gorilla and people with sighs protesting and crying. Ok this is a step too far , wtf a vigil and protesting? If the child was killed by the gorilla i am sure they would be having vigil and protest again for other way round. Yes is sad but thousands animals are killed everyday by us i didn't see any vigil for them. And yes humans and children are more important (is not the childs fault is his parents were idiots and werent looking after him properly) . For me the world has lot the plot, do you agree?

• Yes, the world gone official mad
  • no, we are better than ever
This is not about if they were right or wrong to shoot the animal (in my opinion were right but it doeasnt matter). This is about peoples reactions about a gorilla, RIP sighs, crying and holding vigils

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree it makes people who protest for animals look like retards (half of them are tbh) I mean why the fuck are you protesting a gorilla when there are huge problems in the agricultural industry and deforestation that is destroying delicate environments. They pick the stupidest of fights can we focus on actual shit that's contributing to global warming and habitat destruction. These people don't care about that though they get all sad when one gorilla dies but try to just block out what happens in the meat industry.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't think the world has gone mad but the whole thing shows how retarded social media are. All these services like Facebook and Twitter were - in some utopian ideology I presume - created to "connect" people with one another and make the world a smaller place. Instead, they've become a stage for all the bitter people who like to fight and scream and complain.

For me, this whole issue is very simple:
    I think the killing was right and I don't see a problem with it.
    "The parents should have watched their child better" --> I'm sorry but anyone who says this either doesn't have any children of his/her own or is a complete idiot. Children run around, children hide, children climb up stuff... that's what they do! They're children! Just because you lose your child out of sight for a moment doesn't mean you're a bad parent. It can happen to anyone. Maybe the mother had to keep an eye on several kids. Have these stupid protesters ever gone to a zoo (or even just a playground) with two or three children at the same time? It can be very stressful. It's impossible to have your eyes everywhere at every second of the day. And even if this boy was an only-child, it can still happen. Maybe the mother was looking at the gorillas herself or maybe somebody spoke to her or maybe she was looking for something in her bag... these kind of things can happen within 5 seconds and saying that the mother didn't do a good job only shows that these protesters don't know what it means to be a parent.

Yes, the killing was tragic but it was certainly justified. Would I have wanted to kill the gorilla if it had been my child? Of course! And anyone who says no has either never had children or is obviously a very loveless parent.

But here's something I've also been thinking about: Just these past 10 days, an estimated 700(!) people drowned on the mediterranean sea, attempting to get to Europe in completely overfilled life boats. That's almost a quarter of the casualties at 9/11. Yet, none of these oh-so-righteous protesters seem too upset about that. Where are the candles and vigils for these people (many of which were women and children)? I guess we just got used to hundreds of refugees dying every day, so it's not a big deal anymore I guess. And one more thing: if all these protesters really care so much, why don't they donate some money so that somebody can buy a nice island for these gorillas where they can live in freedom, instead of being locked in in a zoo?

• i will only disagree about the parents. I have children and are boys and i know how they are. When in public places NEVER left them out of sight not once, always hold their hand exactly because i know how kids are. Kids climbing etc etc that you mention yes of course and that one more reason to hold their hands. It is not easy, you can not enjoy anything because constantly you are stressed about them but yes a good parent never leaves them out of sight not for one minute. I will agree with all rest that you write

• Well, I don't think that's nice. Children want to be children. They want to run around and climb up places and be a little crazy. Especially if they're boys. I could do this as a child and looking back, I'm really glad I could do this. We have a program in Switzerland called "Waldkindergarten" (forest kindergarten), where once a week, kindergarten teachers go to the forest with the kids, where they can be really wild and discover the nature. Also, I've grown up close to a river and on warm summer days, I would spend a lot of time roaming along the river banks with my little sister and only come back for dinner. I have very fond memories of that. I firmly believe children should be free to do these things and if you go to a zoo or even just to a public playground, it's the responsibility of the person who built it to make it save. Children are not little puppies like the ones rich ladies stuff into their purses. They can only become independent by experiencing it.

• The world has changed since i was a child. I agree children should be allowed to roam but only when this is safe. For example i take my kids to the forest. Is MY responsibility to look after them while they roam. Is MY responsibility to make sure they are safe. You saying that is the zoos fault, but you should not let the safety of your children on other peoples hands.. So many things can happen if you dont look after your kids in a public place,. I didn't say chain them i said make sure (YOU make sure ) they are safe. ? I agree probably the zoo should make it harder to get to the enclosure but the ultimate responsibility to protect the kids lies with the parents.

• It was a lose/lose situation for the zoo.

• Yea man.. People have gone apeshit ( no pun intended).
    We are going full retard. Extreme liberalism is ruining us.
    What other species would choose another species over its own.
    And i can't believe the female votes.
    Youd think a woman would be more underdtanding over being protective of children. But it seems goibg against human nature is becoming the norm. No wonder society is fucked up.

• it has gone made i think because there are animal activist who are making a small town in Antarctica go hungry or the toen has a low food supply becase they can't kill seals and other wild life around them to help the village. these people while being loving are also being dumb because an animals status is to be respected but its not over rule things that are more important.

in this case i think the zoo and the parents were both at fault for the death of the animal , they knew what the chances were even if they were small chances which i assume was the case here but it did happen.

but with how mad the world has gone its like animals should be protect3d from everything, im really surprised there has not been a bill passed to outlaw killing cows for hamburgers or pig for making bacon but im syre some anti meat group will bring that up in a bill some how. im just waiting for it to happen.

• My thoughts:
    -parents and kid are negligent
    -if I was zoo owner you bet I'd kill a $20k (just a guess) gorilla to avoid a $2 million + lawsuit settlement
    -too bad gorilla had to die
    -totally jealous gorillas eat leaves n shit and are strong af. Mirin, genetics of the gods @fearless_banana. I have to eat tons of boring bland shit to get nice and joocey lol

• aren't they endangered though?

• @Mistnigqa808 hasn't this kid seen Planet of the Apes lol

• www.facebook.com/.../ "give me my goddamn money nigga" lol

• I think the reason for all this is because footages showed that the gorilla had no intent of hurting the child but was still meaninglessy killed because of a couple of stupid adults who couldn't look after their child. The story reminds me of a similar incident of a child who fell into a gorilla pit. The gorilla though protected the child from the other gorrilas and wasn't killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N05CItceEdg

• this is different footage from a different gorilla that happened 30 years ago

• because that gorilla didn't hurt the child doesn't mean this one wouldn't either

• i know its a different footage. What I'm saying from the clip of the recent one, the gorilla doesn't look like it had any intention to kill the kid. Its not a risk worth taking though but to just have shot and killed it was sad. Gorilla did nothing to deserve that. It shouldn't even be there in the first place

• "And yes humans and children are more important" says who? I know it's not "mother Earth" that we're talking about, right? Cuz we dont do anything but fuck up this planet via polluting it. While animals just eat, sleep and shit all day long LOL.

• well can you imagine the fallout if that kid died the zoo would be destroyed into oblivion lawsuits up the arse and all.

• @Josht11 thats cause society is fucked up these days. The mom should be sued to scaring that gorilla!

• the world went mad a long time ago

• no becuz zoo owners should already know it is not wise nor good for nature to lock animals in cages, if you take your child to a zoo then beware of consequences you are going to see WILD animals.

the gorillas did not chose to be there in a cage he was PUT by humans and the gorilla did not chose to steal a child to kill him the mother bring her child and did not put attention and the child FELL into the cage.

people has not lost their mind very opposite all of this happened by actions of HUMANS not the animals the gorilla simply did not deserve to die humans do

• It's just proof that humans are more conscientious of the reality of their actions. Both lives should be relished. :)

It's never a bad thing to at least address the impact you have on others in life.

• complete incompetence of the parents of the child, and poorly constructed gorilla enclose

• Yeah it has. But I think it was wrong to kill the gorilla, it was only a child so it doesn't exactly count as a human yet anyway, and gorillas are endangered, humans aren't. But ideally they should have had a tranquilizer...

• they explained about the tranquilizer, it would take few tries and time to work and maybe agitated more the already agitated gorilla, thats why they didn't use it. As for the rest no coment

What Girls Said 0