I need garden design ideas. What makes a garden design good?

I enjoy designing rooms but when it comes to the great outdoors I haven't the foggiest idea where to begin! Someone HELP ME! What makes a garden design good? Colours, furniture, plants... what? I just don't understand it. This baffles me, how do make a garden looked lived in? Baskets?

Most Helpful Guy

• One good tip for the overall design of your garden is, make it so you can't see it all at first glance. One or two carefully placed features should catch the eye and tempt you to walk on into the garden, after which you find a new vista opens up that was hidden from your starting point.
    If it's impossible to hide sections in this way, you can at least have areas with distinct characters, so that whichever lovely thing you're looking at, you know there's something different, but also lovely, elsewhere.

Think about the seasons - try and choose plants that look their best at different times so you'll have some colour all year round (even just green in winter, if needs be).

Gardens, unlike rooms, are alive and so they may require more maintenance. Think honestly about how much work you can consistently put in, and match your plan to this. Otherwise you'll feel disappointed and discouraged, so that's not worth it. Of course, you might commit to put in a lot of work at key times in the year and less work the rest of the time - again, you can choose plants/layout accordingly.

Please describe the garden a bit to help us give specific advice. What shape and size is it? What's the ground made of - dirt, paving, lawn, etc? Which way does it face and how much sun does it get? Do you know the soil type (clay/sandy, acid/alkaline)?

And most importantly, when your garden is one day perfect, what do you envisage doing in it? It's not an obvious question - lots of people will have different answers to this.

Most Helpful Girl

• Go to pinterest, you will get heaps of ideas there

What Guys Said 6

• Check out www.houzz.com for ideas...

Look at lots of pictures in magazines or online websites, save ones that you like, then go back and figure out what they have in common or what specific elements you like the best.

• Start off with something small like a herb and or spice garden. Also you should google some award winning gardens. They have a HUGE following

• Your best bet would be to get ideas online and work from there

• It has to have Feng Shui. Or Fung Shway. Fu'kin' Shaney?

I'm horny.

• Pinterest

• I do vegetable gardening I can give you a few ground rules from that.

You can change the soil and you can bring in water but you can't make more sunshine. Choose plants appropriate to the hours of sun the plot gets.

Weed when the weeds are small and you will save yourself a lot of work.

Things need to be done in the garden according to weather and season, not according to your convenience. Do a job when it needs doing rather than when you feel like it and you'll save yourself a lot of work.

What Girls Said 3

• I am not an expert in gardening but I can advise you really good furniture. I have a bench and a few chairs in my garden. Good quality and looks elegant.

• I watch a lot of hgtv and have several books

• My phone went crazy I was going to add that I also read Southern Living and get ideas from that too. Plus we play around with flower bed shapes and use hanging baskets were now trying to create a water garden with walk ways and benches so the key is to have fun! Hope this'll help out! :)

• think of a them and and go from there