British people of gag, is 'bugger' a bad word in england?

Do kids get detention or sent to their rooms for saying it?

Most Helpful Girl

• "Spunk" is their word for jizz. So the British family down the street always had a private laugh when anyone referred to anyone else as "spunky". And "crap" not only = shit, it exclusively means "poop", feces. My dad once had a talk with their dad about kids leaving their toys (crap) all over the streets and neighbors lawns. The British dad was greatly confused, and wondering if he was talking about someone's 4-legged fur child, because his human son certainly wasn't "shitting all over the streets"! I haven't thought about this for a while, now I'm having trouble typing cracking up about it :-)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 7

• Yeah, it's a bad word. It's not as bad as something like fuck, it's much tamer, but a little kid would probably still get in trouble for saying it.

• Pretty sure for them it's not really a bad word.

• Not nearly as bad as saying "Bloody Nora" as I found out after screaming it across the house at five

• Ron Weasley said it all the time and his mummy didn't slap him.

• I think it is a bad word in England my English grandparents would tell me off

• Mate @1smooth28 Is this a bad word?

• The British never swear

What Guys Said 11

• It's a very bad word. It means 'sodomite':
    www.etymonline.com/index.php

• Well the origin of 'buggery' is referring to an act of anal sex but in it's contemporary usage it's not technically a swear word like 'shit' or 'fuck'. What it is is rude though, as @RexCatholicissimus pointed out. It's the equivalent rudeness of saying that somebody's a 'douchebag' or a 'cretin' but without going to the extreme of saying that they're a 'cunt' or 'fucker'.

• Eh.. Is a very "not so bad" bad word.

Like if you fucked up something. Saying "oh bugger" is a fuckton less bad then saying "oh shit"

• Not these days, although older generations find it offensive. In schools however you will probably be told off (not given detention though)

• Depends how you use it.

In law, yes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery

If someone in the street does something and says "bugger" ... no not really. It's like a polite way of saying Fuck.

• They might if they're in primary school. It's not a swear necessarily but it's a bit rude, I'd say it's worse than saying "dang" or "darn", but not quite as bad as saying "damn."

I say it a lot including in public and nobody's chewed me out about it since I was about 7, so there ya go.

• It's a moderately bad word. Not as bad as fuck and cunt, but worse than poo and bum and tits.

• Nothing is a swear word in England

• I don't think so. I said it this morning and nobody seemed that shocked :p

• it seems like punctuation sometimes :P my boss is a brit and its almost every second word.

• Probably not