generally described as a human female with a hideous face and living venomous snakes in place of hair. Gazers on her face would turn to stone. Most sources describe her as the daughter of Phorcys and Ceto, though the author Hyginus (Fabulae Preface) makes Medusa the daughter of Gorgon and Ceto. According to Hesiod and Aeschylus, she lived and died on an island named Sarpedon, somewhere near Cisthene. The 2nd-century BCE novelist Dionysios Skytobrachion puts her somewhere in Libya, where Herodotus had said the Berbers originated her myth, as part of their religion.
Medusa was beheaded by the hero Perseus, who thereafter used her head, which retained its ability to turn onlookers to stone, as a weapon until he gave it to the goddess Athena to place on her shield.
- 5/5 my favorite mythological creature41% (13)25% (6)34% (19)Vote
- 4/5 i like it a lot28% (9)54% (13)39% (22)Vote
- 3/5 meh they are ok19% (6)8% (2)14% (8)Vote
- 2/5 i dont really like it6% (2)4% (1)5% (3)Vote
- 1/5 i hate it3% (1)9% (2)5% (3)Vote
- 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!3% (1)0% (0)3% (1)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
she looks like me on a bad day xD0
Most Helpful Guy
There is kind of a soft spot in my heart for the classics abd this definitely qualifies. The greek myth creatures are a part of the foundation of western story telling and culture.0