What was the biggest struggle for you when you first moved out of your parents house?

Is it really as scary the 1st time you moved out on your own?

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it's definitely all the bureaucratic stuff... like making sure I pay my bills on time, making sure I fill out my tax forms on time, making sure I call the doctor again when they tell me to call back (I have to go to the doctor a lot), making sure I reply to all the emails from the social security that I receive some money from, making sure I get all the stuff for university done (not the academic stuff like papers but the bureaucratic stuff like signing up on time and writing emails to the different university offices if I have a question and writing emails to professors etc.), making sure to reply to the letters from my landlord, making sure to call back the folks from my political party when they call me, making sure to return my books to the library...
    On their own, they're all relatively small things but in accumulation, it's really crazy. Sometimes I feel like I could spend my whole day sitting at home returning calls and emails and paying bills. It's not even about the money, just the fact that I have to keep everything in my head... while at the same time trying to have a life ;-). I wish I could just hire a secretary for myself.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, It was for me, @IRockTheCity.
    I had a Huge fight with my mom one day, And packed ship when she embarrassed me in front of her own friends. I ended up Living with my Married sister, And as I lay under the covers, Shaking Like a Leaf, I Yearned to Run out of the house and Go right back to My... Parent's house.
    However, I said "NO," I will Not give in. Mom was wrong, I needed to be Strong, And ever since then, Although I used to go back and Live with them for awhile when I needed a quick break from the Outside World... I never looked back.
    It Is a bit "Scary" at First, But the Longer you do it, The Better it Feels to be Your own Straw Boss.
    Good luck. xx

• Why did you want to go back. Is moving in with others hard?

• @hazoplmeught so welcome, my friend, and good luck, I have faith in you. xxoo

• Thank you for the Vote of Confidence. xx

What Guys Said 32

• Money. I got kicked out of the house because my parents were upset at my sister (who ruined their vacation by being a mega-bitch) and, since they almost never punished her for some reason, they took it out on me for extremely minor issues.

Anyway, I was going to college at the time and working part-time at night, and once I moved out (into an apartment shared with a friend) I simply couldn't afford to keep going to school - I could barely keep my car running and I had to make more money - and that meant more work hours.

I ended up working 60 hours a week to finally get ahead of my car issues, but I could only maintain a couple of classes and eventually had to drop out. That's a real regret...

• it was liberating to me. my mother was/is very controlling. even after graduating from college with a full-time job i still felt like i was treated as a teenager. having to tell her where i was going, when i'd be home, who i was going out with, etc. so for me i was only excited to move out.

the biggest struggle was buying the things you need to live on your own (furniture, bed, kitchen stuffs). it can be a rather large financial investment that you have to save for

• Bills... holy shit!!

• Lol! Took the words right out of my mouth

• Dayummm! YEARS? I love cable TV but boy is it a bitch to pay for! You are so right though. When I first moved out, I had to hold out on cable too which meant plenty of visits home for dinner... and my favorite show :)

• @CosmicallyCombined there is nothing they show on tv that i can't watch on the net. just gotta know where to look. plus, on the internet... no commercials...*gasp* waaaaat!!!
      lol

• Not knowing how to look for an apartment. I didn't even have internet access back then so I had no clue where to start. For years though, my parents had been such little help to me, that my life actually got easier and less stressful when I moved out.

I did have an issue of trying to find a room mate to help keep the cost low, and got lucky there. It turned out I didn't need his help though, because my new job gave me plenty of hours, and I kept my bills pretty low.

• It wasn't scary at all. First, it was a dorm room at college, but, in my sophomore year, I got an apartment with 2 buddies. I didn't live on my own until I was 26 and it was like I won the lottery.

NOTHING... not sex... not love... beats the sheer enjoyment of freedom from living on your own. For this reason, I don't recommend marriage either.

• "Yay! I'm moving the fuck away from this bullshit"

Wait. That's not a struggle...

• I did it at 15. I was wide as fuck back then. Borrowed 100 quid off my old man and hit the road with my mate. Got a train out of the country. I got on well with everybody back then. That helps. People open doors for you. Had a job the next day amd somewhere to stay. Ots was great summer back then. No internet no mobile phones. You wanted to ckntact home you got a piece of paper and a pen. The world was a big adventure coz you couldnt see it on a screen or anything. All you need is a regular income and a good attitude and your golden

• I went to a four year college directly out of high school. I wasn't stressed out about money because I had maximum financial aid.

What I had to get used to, was living with people who are different than you in personality. Especially when there are multiple people in one living space! Fights and disputes can ensue over the smallest things.

• I had just enough money to pay the first month's rent in my pocket and a job already lined up when I left home. I had my vehicle packed to leave the day I graduated high school I left my parents to go to graduation and I went to my new apartment after graduation. I honestly didn't have much... I had a beat-up old vehicle a duffel bag of dirty clothes a shotgun that I couldn't load up all the way, $147 cash, a pair boots, a sleeping bag (yep... a sleeping bag) and the biggest smile I could possibly have. I moved to the town that I was going to start college in the fall and I worked all summer as a lifeguard during the day and at UPS at night to save up money... Started college in the fall.

• Getting used to cooking for yourself. Canned veggies, knorr food packets, and frozen food are your friends. And aldi.

• Getting a budget down and keeping track of what you spend.

• Still haven't moved out, stack that cash haha

• this might sound ridiculous xD but keeping my room tidy. with no pressure to clean up, i only did the necessities.

• Money lol

• I moved out with a group of girls and let me tell you!! Getting them to NOT use my bath towel and turn off the curling Iron things was a CONSTANT struggle.

• All the running we did in basic training. I wasn't in very good shape.

• The biggest struggle for me was communicating with my overly attached mother. I had to explain countless of times how I prefer living in a city instead with her family in a desolated village, where it's a wonder there is still electricity.

• Pressure of the moment. You get over it quickly.

• it wasn't scary but it was disturbing as i wasn't trained enough to live my life at my own.. so to coupe up with that was very hard.. by the way life is struggle all the way.. so now use to of struggling :)

• Biggest struggle was running the computer store I started at the same time.

• finding time to cook/sleep. figuring out how to schedule your days is a hassle when you have had it mostly planned out for you for the better part of your life.

• paying bills

• Making the responsible decisions.

• never did :D

• I still have not due to epilepsy. It will likely be years still before I can escape...

• Paying rent for a tiny apartment in NYC.

• Oh. Stuff.

• Didn't have one...

Biggest struggle was being forced to rely on them after getting out of...

Whatever that place is called...

• had no dishes.

• doing the laundry 😹😹

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 20

• not scary, but definitely a wake-up call.

growing up, my parents were very strict and kept me on a tight leash. so, when i moved out, i suddenly had more freedom than i knew what to do with. after 18 years of rules and curfews and limitations, i no longer had adults in my life telling me what to do and when.

when you've never had that kind of freedom before, you're going to screw up colossally... but i survived, and so will everyone else.

• None.. I was so happy to be out of such a double standard bullshit house. Everything my brother did was exceptable but if I did it the fucking house blew up. I had been getting kicked out and shipped from aunt to grandmas since I was 13 -17. When I was 17 I had enough of always being accused of lying and stealing. I NEVER lied or stole anything it was always my brother and I was always blamed for it. My grandma made a batch of wine. There were 26 bottles. I never touched one and 4 went missing one night. I was blamed and I flipped out because it wasn't me. I screamed at my brother I've never been so angry to see him sit there and deny it. She told me to get out. I moved three provinces away and said fuck y'all. That's when they finally showed concern and I said nope fuck off. Never looked back.

• I "moved out" for a year to live with my sister. It wasn't at all the same as moving out into your own house bc I didn't have to help her pay any electricity bills or anything.

But I did have to pay my own bills and buy food and it was a struggle. We basically lived on rice and pasta bc you could buy it in bulk without worrying about it expiring

• Just trying to juggle finances. A lot of the time the mortgage needs to be paid, bills, food and "other"
    It is scary because you don't have people to lean on. But I guess when you want to take that step, it's really something you need to think twice (maybe) even three times about. It's literally being independent.

• Forgetting all the little random things that I'd use at my parents' house and didn't purchase for my own place was a big one. I was there days, weeks, or months later trying to find this item and realizing I didn't buy it, but needed it right then or soon.

• Budgeting probably. I actually make enough money to live and always have. I wasn't kicked out of the house. I had $2000 in my savings and $1500 in my checking. But about two years into living alone, it was hard because I had to buy a car, student loans were catching up, and as a teacher, I have to buy everything for my classroom and don't reimbursed for it. That includes supplies like notebooks, paper, pencils, pens, colored papers, scissors, a set of a dictionaries, classroom sets of novels... and I only get $970 a pay period even though I have been teaching 3 years. I didn't account for rent going up, either.

Overall, what really killed it was budgeting. I have been on my own for three years and I still can't understand how to buy a weeks worth of groceries at the store for one person.

• Money and the fact that I moved 4 hours away.

• Maybe handling my money.
    Though, I was never really alone. My dad was helping me when I was a student and by the time I finished my studies, I was leaving with my boyfriend. I always had someone by my side

• Grocery shopping !!! 3 years later and I can't still make them right! OR You buy to much or You buy little, I always pay to much for my liking and never get what I really want ! AND THE FOOD DOESN'T DO ITSELF? YOUUUU have to make it YOURSEEELF ! MOM! WHERE ARE YOU? Why can't we buy robo moms?

• I haven't really had any struggles.

• I think it would be

• Money!!!

• Missing my mom and being homesick

• Paying bills on time and getting use to living by myself.

• It's not that scary but then again I've been taking care of myself since high school. Everyone is different.

• I was 16 & moved in with a very well known 32 year old man.
    THAT was the biggest challenge.

• trying to live with an abusive man

• Taking care of the bills, all the responsibility of the house, cleaning, being on my own.

• Learning to feed myself

• I was different i wasn't scared i couldn't wait for my own independence and my own space, even though i didn't have much when i moved out, i enjoyed working to get the things i needed and loved creating my very own sanctuary if you like, i was super excited to move out and knew it would be hard, i made sacrifices of course but took each day at a time, if there was something i didn't know about to benefit me, i spoke to friends/family, i loved living at home obviously but was ready to have my own place and become a responsible adult, maybe you are not fully ready, but i guess moving away and out of your parents home out into the world on your own could be scary for some people, you can still go see them Right? so it's not like you can never go back to visit or stay if you wanted to, believe it or not once you get use to living alone you'll be just fine, the fear is always bigger in our minds than in reality, good luck to you.