HOW CAN I GET OVER MY PHOBIA?

I ve a phobia of heights... i can't even jump from on top of a chair... i wanna go skydiving... how can i get over this fear?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• First I think you should learn how deep your phobia is. They say to imagine a room with a case of money in it, you have to somehow face your phobia to get to the case. How much money is required to be in the case to make you do it? For me, there is no amount for my phobia. For some it could be 100 dollars, some a million etc.

After that, you should evaluate if you think you can handle it on your own. For example watching sky diving videos, starting with jumping of a chair (as you said struggles you). But perhaps see a psychologist and go into some behavioural therapy. However, despite what people are saying, exposure does not just fix a phobia it can make it worse, it can actually hurt you physically and mentally. It can work! But not always.

However, I have been sky diving and I strongly do not recommend it if you have a fear of heights until you are 100% over it because if you start to panic while in the air on top of the adrenaline already going through your system, you could have a heart attack or worse. So I'd really make sure to care for yourself first and not rush things.

• my fear is basically of just getting hurt when i jump... u see as a kid i was thrown down a staircase n i hit my head hard... so experiencing that again scares me

• Sounds good. Start with a chair, move to a table. Hell start with jumping off a chair onto a mattress. Move up. But honestly, think greatly about sky diving. Go to a tall sky scaper that has a glass floor and try standing on that before you go sky diving. It can be a lot more full on than you expect and I'd hate for you to rush into it and hurt yourself.

But having your brother there for the chair thing sounds smart.

• thank u... like that i can stand anywhere as long i ve some sort of railing or someone's hand to hold... otherwise i start getting dizzy... thank u soo much for ur help

What Guys Said 5

• Hehehe... im terrified of heights too. absolutely hate my feet not being on something. I don't even do amusement parks often. and if im in a tall building, i stay away from windows and patios.
    once in a while though, i do get crazy like when i jumped out of the second floor of a building, that was fun... i say im terrified of heights but i think in reality, i just prefer to be planted firmly on solid ground.

• so how can i get over my fear

• thats fine. me, i like having something to escape to. sometimes, i don't want to stay in my senses...

• i can understand

• exposure is one of the best ways to deal with a phobia.

• skydive : there are no magical solutions sweetie... FACE IT

• Take some self help classes about overcoming phobias

• JUST DOO IT

• ya but how... i am scared of falling n getting hurt

• I don't think I have any proper phobia, so I can't help you well on that, I can just tell you that in that case there is nothing to be afraid of. You can fall from the top of a chair but you could also crash into a car when riding a bike and die, but you're not afraid of riding a bike (I guess). Just get used to it, visit viewing platforms or so, phobia of heights is pretty common, so no worries. How come you want to do skydiving if you have that phobia?

• ill try that... i wanna do skydiving coz its exciting... its a dream... i wanna see everything in my life... the phobia is definitely a drawback but it can't stop me from doing things in my bucket list... i am just crazy n weird

What Girls Said 8

• I would suggest gradually get yourself to conquer it, starting with standing on a chair. I used to be pretty afraid of heights myself and I still am but I can now climb ladders (and shelves because of work) with no problem and I even braved a Ferris wheel and a helicopter ride.

• what did do to conquer ur fear

• I wish you luck! It's scary but certainly rewarding!

• hehe ya tnx a lot

• I had a phobia of cemeteries, i started walking next to the cemetery everyday to go to the metro station, then i started walking there, no I'm not scared anymore. I used to faint just by seeing one from afar and even in a movie or picture.

• Just facing it is what's best. For me? I love heights they make me feel alive. I don't like spiders, if I see one move even an inch towards me, I will totally exaggerate my freak out moment.

• You want to go skydiving? Then go skydiving.

• You can't face your fear of dogs by stroking a cat :P

• Just face it and do it, that's the only way you will get over your phobia

• Better not. Its a logical fear.

• ya but i wanna get over it... its the obstacle to my dream

• You might not even go

• i will i know

• I am afraid of heights too, and the best thing to do is just go and do things surrounding great height. Climb a mountain, an apartment or go skydiving. Tackle the problem head on.