Does self defense classes help you defend yourself against anyone male/female?

I always wanted to learn how to really defend myself against anyone male or female. I know how street fight but i just want to really know how to protect myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• They say that even the ones that take those classes, and even 'Concealed Carry' classes, usually can't use what they learned, because most of us, NORMAL people, are subconsciously opposed to hurting someone!! Our natural instinct, from some 'lower brain' is to run!!
    I think most of those classes fall short, as they don't do 'Live Tests' after the classes. They show you the 'moves', but if you never experience it, until you need it, it FAILS!!!
    The military trains in weapons, deployment, who does what, and when. Then they DO IT, LIKE IT WAS REAL!!! with simulations, or paint balls, or whatever.
    Any self-defense class, teaching, is incomplete, without the REAL WORLD Challenge!!
    Complete training, so you can REALLY be confident, involves real world 'attacks' at unexpected times!! How will you know when someone will attack you?
    You need to be 'TESTED' as if someone was REALLY attacking you, and respond, and see where you fail, or remember the teachings!!
    THAT, is COMPLETE defense training!
    Just about every class I have seen is just some 'Feel-Good' Bullsht, to make you feel safer, but what will you REALLY DO, if someone actually attacks you?

Most Helpful Girl

• There's an old saying. "Even the most well-trained of warriors can cower in the face of real battle".

So, I'd guess I would say yes, it would help you in general. But if you freak out in the moment and it's not practice, but real life, like someone jumps out at you from an ally and you freak out instead of remembering your self defense, it won't do you must good.

What Guys Said 12

• Self defense classes? No. However certain forms of martial arts can help, however you have to go after certain ones for instance in most fights martial artist get beaten simply because most fights end up on the ground in grappling (wrestling) so knowing how to kick and where or how to punch really doesn't help. Juijitsu and sambo (if memory serves) are good for grappling but even then a lot of martial arts are more artsy now so the best ones are usually krav maga or mauy tai kick boxing. But even then that doesn't really help, it gives you the knowledge and with a lot of training even the capabilities needed for fighting but the real issue is mentality. If a person wants to hurt you bad enough they will no amount of pain is going to stop them. So with fighting and by extention self defense you would need to train your mind as much as your body which again takes time and usually experience. So long story short self defense classes won't really help you, serious training will but even then its your own mental state (fear anger etc) that determines whether or not you can defend yourself.

• If you become a dedicated student of a martial art you will have a huge advantage over someone who does not know how to defend themselves.
    I can speak in detail only about Shotokan karate, of which I have been a student for a long time.
    A few hours invested in a woman's self-defence course might be of some use, but nobody who is a student of any martial art can take such courses seriously.
    I would recommend that you pick a martial art, then become a serious student. Train hard and train often.
    While I have to declare an interest when I recommend Shotokan karate, I recommend it because the biomechanics of it are suited to the female body. Speed and power come from the hips. You have bigger and heavier hips, therefore you can be faster than a man and hit almost as hard, despite your lesser muscle mass. The lower stances of Shotokan karate are also more suited to the female physique.
    We use the entire body as a weapon and all karate is designed to allow the student to engage multiple assailants simultaneously. That will come in handy if a pack of gangbangers decide to pack rape you.
    The big difference, the really big difference, is that boxers et al. train to fight. We train to kill. If the situation calls for it, we will kill someone the first time that we hit them.
    We will do everything that we can to avoid a physical confrontation, but, if it is forced upon us, we will use whatever degree of force the situation requires to protect ourselves, or another person.

• My brothers say should learn how to box instead.

• PS: Were a boxer to shape up to me, the first thing that I would probably do would be to deliver a side thrust kick to one of his knees, which would connect before he was close enough to hit me.
      The fight would be over in that instant and he would be crippled for life.

• what your talking about is cool but all 4 of my brothers can kick ass because they've been boxing for so long. Plus they said it will make me tougher

• I'm sure it does but remember to take on actual self-defense classes like Krav-Maga or Systema , most "martial arts" are exactly what it sounds , an art that'll take decades to master and be useful, functional hand-to-hand combat systems are easier to master and more practical.

• Good self-defense classes teaches you how to deal with all genders and sizes. And if while you're at it, to disarm people carrying weapons..(knives, bats, guns). However, mostly, your objective is not to "beat" the assailant, but to make them unable to chase you, as you run away.

Sidenote: don't start a fight you know you won't win.

• The best self defense is avoiding a fight, the second is a loaded gun

• If done right, yea. It teaches you how to use your leverage and take advantage of people's overagressiveness when they are untrained.

• Yes that's what their goal is lol

• Yeah but all my brothers say it doesn't work and that I should have learned how to box like them

• Yes, it'll help with either/both.

• Yes and no. Sometimes, it can be something as simple as a poke in the eye that ends a fight. Sometimes you've got to fight to the bitter end. Sometimes, you're outnumbered and all the martial arts knowledge in the world could not help you.

• Honestly, no.

Real fighting is hard, and brutal.

If you want to learn how to fight, you need to be studying a system that has contact, and pressure testing. Boxing or muay thai, something where you are working on basic strikes, and how to throw them with power and accuracy. Get some BJJ or wrestling into you as well, in case the fight goes to the ground.

This is 20 years of martial arts and a lot of security and bouncing talking here.

• Depends on the style and it depends on your level of skill, reaction time and mentality.

• Eh If I wanna shoot u I'll shoot u. if I wanna stab u I'll stab u. If I wanna rob u with two people I'm gonna rob unwith ftwo of. mg hommie watching from a far.

Self defense doesn't really work

• I was talking about if someone wanted fight me or rob me, if I can protect myself properly then they won't be able to do it. Not some lunatic trying to shoot me

• Oh yeah you'll be fine j thought u lived in Compton California or Chicago. Yeah if u live with mostly white people your fine. you can beat up a white guy easy.

Were most square nerds.

• I'm definitely black and live in a black neighborhood as long as u don't cross the bridge where people actually are fucking lunatics your good. But I feel safe because I know a lot of people in my area and i grew up here. If you weren't from around here you would probably be scared. I live down the street from the projects and the people across the street sell drugs. I mean it's not the nicest neighborhood but i feel safe

What Girls Said 1

• They may but I always feel that fighting back feeds into the other persons adrenaline.

Just MY experience.