I'm 17 and sleep in the same bed as my parents?

I'm 17 and sleep in the same bed as my parents at night. All my life I've slept in their bed. When I was younger they tried having me sleep in my own bed in my room with the light on or my cat in my room but I always have anxiety that someone is going to come in when I'm sleeping or a bug will crawl on me-just stupid things. I know I should be able to sleep in my own bed, but it's too hard for me.

I can sleep by myself but i just don't like it.
I can sleep by myself. I went on a three weeks vacation with my friends and i survived. But i prefer not to.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most children, and many adults too, have sleep transition objects and/or conditions that must be in place for falling and staying asleep. For young children, think of special stuffed animals, blankets, or pacifiers. Many children maintain use of these objects into adolescence or adulthood — you may even have some friends who still sleep with a special pillow or stuffed animal, and they will be taking them away to school with them. Other children have ‘objects’ that are not as practical as they get older, such as a bottle, or even mom or dad.

What Guys Said 29

• So I guess that when you decide to sleep with a guy it will then be four int the parent's bed.

And your parents have not been able to have sex for 17 years now?

• its understandable... but are 17... a few months to a year, you will be a legal adult, and this would become very very weird, even more disturbing if your parents keep allowing you to do it.

• Do you wipe your own ass after taking a shit?

• That's a bit unusual, but it's OK if you're OK with it and it's just sleeping. Have you tried a dog? They hog bed space, but they're fuzzy and letting your dog crash with you is easier than needing your folks in bed to sleep.

They've got better senses than people too, so you're even safer with a fuzzy intruder alarm.

• Well nothing wrong with that since it doesn't sound like your incapable of living on your own, I think you just feel more secure around other people. If you think about it for the longest time beds were shared by the entire family.

• Is this what they call trolling?
    I mean parents need their one on one time with each other. Otherwise your parents must be like the best ninjas in existence.

If this is true, why don't you try putting a bed right next to their bed and gradually move it further away (every few days) until you are in your own room?

• If you're serious then you need to deal with your problems immediately. You're never going to have a normal life if you don't deal with your issues because you can't go to college or get a job and move out if your too scared to sleep in a room without your parents.

• They should have been more forceful with you. Your big enough now to know its not healthy for you. Take a bit of initiative and sleep on your own. Have to cut the apron strings at some point. Might as well be now. I was working in a different country 2 years younger than you with my own place, a job and a girlfriend. Your wasting your life

• Well, I slept in my parents bed when I was 6 and other kids thought this was weird. I won't judge but it is probably best if you overcome this anxiety.

• Seriously time to be a grown up, I'll definitely be weirded out. No one at 17 should sleep in same bed as parents. Soon you may even have to leave for uni or work etc. Adults aren't going to be happy you sleeping in same bed as your parents. How exactly are you planning on getting intimate with BFs?

• NORMAL

• Time to cut the umbilical cord.

• WOW 😲
    That's cute 😂 LOL
    I think it's fine but maybe now you should try to work on it
    You're going to be an adult and your parents won't always be their for you
    Try any stuffed toys or pillow while sleeping alone cause it'll help a bit I guess :P

• Well now that you're older, I think it's time to let you know that at this point you're totally cock blocking your father. So start sleeping in your own bed.

• Wow Im the complete opposite. I hate sharing beds unless it's with a girl I like. When I was like 5 I was still sleeping with my parents but they got me out of it the next year. you're probably ruining your parents sex life.

• I think it's more then high time you started sleeping on your own.

• You're not weird. Your parents are weird for allowing that. Well.. you're weird too i guess. Not healthy

• Hey I think you should get your own bed. You need your own space eventually at the very least. Rye?

• I slept with my mom until i was about 12
    I hit puberty...
    I won't say the details but i knew it was time to get out once that happened lol

• i think its ok if you have anxiety

• Well maybe you should try sleeping by yourself for a week and if you still don't like then continue sleeping with your parents until you feel comfortable

• Your poor parents!

• You will have to face sleeping on your own sooner or later. You might as well start working up to it

• fake and gay

• Very strange...

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 12

• That definitely sounds outside of the norm, as well as what would be healthy for both you as well as your parents.

You're only justifying this behaviour by saying that you do it because you're scared about bugs or things like that. We've all gone through phases like that, say sleeping in their parents bed after watching a horror movie as children. It's generally expected that that fear will pass, though. Otherwise, you'll only enable semi-codependent, sheltered behaviour to continue indefinitely.

• Like i said, I can sleep by myself. I went on a three weeks vacation with my friends and i survived. But i prefer not to.

• This is actually weirdly cute Lol I slept next to my Mom until the age of 8!
    What do your parents think of it?

• you must be the ultimate covk block lol.

• I think it is time for you to teach yourself to sleep in your own bed as this is a tad sad. You are almost 18, time to start being an adult!

• You need counseling heavy-duty. You're more fucked up than you think. This is going to affect your entire life.

• So what exactly is your question?

• get some counseling.

• Oh god hahaha i slept with my parents like twice in my whole life when i was a kid now if i try to enter their room without knocking the door they kill me😂😂😂

• Bet ur dad hates u lol. Just kidding. I think it's time for u to sleep in your own bed. Go speak to a therapist if this is not easy for u.

• If this is genuine you need to see a shrink as soon as possible.

• Troll

• Troll.