Are people who take selfies all of the time narcissists who only care about themselves?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Narcissists or terribly insecure and need to constantly take and post pics to receive confirmation that they're attractive/desirable/worth something even if that something is superficial and fleeting

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course they are. And Kim Kardashian is the queen of them all, lol.

What Guys Said 36

• Wouldn't say narcissistic, but Definitely insecure, constantly needing validation and fishing for compliments from others. Since my sister is one of the Queens of this particular trend, i also noticed something. Selfie people tend to take a lot of those selfies just in order to pick one. Like they want to be viewed in some kind of perfect way at all times lol...
    if everyone of those people were to post the first selfie they take... it would be comedy.

• Eh, I don't know. I really have to wonder why people take selfies so often. A guy I work with takes a selfie with his wife and children every day and posts it on Facebook. That's perfectly fine. What I can't wrap my head around is, well, this...
    3.bp.blogspot.com/.../...throom-took-37-photos.jpg

• Mostly, yes. Narcissism has been linked to this.

• i don't think so. i think constant selfie photo taking speaks more to need of for people to see them doing different things or how they look so it sounds more like insecurity than narcissism. if they were narcissistic they wouldn't necessarily put the photos out in public

• Pretty much... They desire fame through vanity. The entire purpose of taking pictures of one self is posting them on the internet is so that people will see you. There's no other reason... If that's not the pursuit of gratification from vanity, I don't know what possibly is.

• lol 63% of women are lying to themselves.

• I don't know taking pictures of your self and having to post them online for validation seem like two different things. I've always felt people took selfies because they didn't want to trust someone else with their expensive phone.

Would you feel the same of these people didn't feel the need to post said pictures.

• I'm pretty narcissistic but I don't take a ton of selfies tho

• It's a self esteem issue. Psychology teaches that anyone who appears "full of themselves" is actually suffering from a self esteem issue and needs to have others validate their value. People who take selfies are crying out for people's approval because they don't realize or simply don't like their beauty.
    It's really sad to see people constantly post sexy photos of themselves because they're just constantly asking "Am I pretty now?"

• I take a selfie if a girl wants to see what I look like, usually it's cause I don't have anyone to hold the camera. lol I'd much rather her see my whole body, so that way she won't reject me for what I look like. I'd rather her reject me then instead of me paying for a date that was doomed from the beginning.

• No, some people just like taking pictures

• Definitely YES, if they do it often/a lot. I often feel like saying,"get a life" when I see people doing it.

• Our reflection in the mirror is the reverse image of how people actually see us, so a selfie makes more sense.

• Not necessarily. Some people just like to play with the filters.

• Only the ones who stress about how many likes they get on insta-gram and facebook

The other ones are really just insecure

• A friend of mine takes selfies several times a day. She's been there for me a lot, so I'm sure she doesn't just care about herself.

• yes of course, I mean one or two photos like that is fine but people like this are extremely vain.

• To an extent, but at the same time, it's nice to see people who feel confident enough to do so when so many people are low on confidence about their looks.

• Yep you nailed it.

• It's an obsessive disorder, but I like how the answers are split between women and men.

BUSTED.

• Nah. I got an uncle who's in his late 40's who is ALWAYS taking selfies. He's far from being a narcissist he's just trying to stay hip lol

• I hate selfies so my opinion is biased

• Admit it. Narcissim is the only real reason selfies exist.

• Yes, since a lot of women these days are narcissists.

• No that's an over generalization

• Why else would they be constantly taking selfies, why waste so much time on selfies otherwise?

• I think they're seeking validation, because they have low self esteem.

• I think thats a bot extreme
    They are just annoying a f

• Its just a selfie man cmon now...

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 42

• #generalisation629 i dont think that's a valid conclusion to make. sure, they may have too much time on their hands lol, since let's be real, you take like a billion selfies before u get the right one haha. well it takes that many for me anyway :P

• No, I don't see obsessive selfie taking as narcissistic, but I do see it as needing validation from others. They're insecure and don't truly love themselves, so they want to hear it from others, and taking selfies is a good way to get compliments. I don't want to say all selfie-obsessed people are all the same, but I've definitely noticed that my friends who take the most selfies are also the most insecure people I know. I have a friend who is incredibly insecure about her body and her appearance, but uploads selfies to Facebook and Instagram nearly every single day.

• On the contrary, they might be people who care too much about others and what they think of them, they might be deeply insecure and unhappy within themselves and seeking acceptance and to feel good about themselves by doing it. They might have been nice people who just got hurt so much by others or rejected a lot and are trying to get some reassurance that they're good enough.

• Not necessarily. We all have a bit of narcissism in ourselves, or else we'd all be complete messes with no self-confidence at all. I take selfies occasionally, am in no way a 'narcissist', though. Sometimes I simply like to document when my hair/make-up or something turned out particularly well.

• Being a narcissist is way more than taking a ton of photos of themselves. They probably just really admire what they look like and are a little cocky in the sense of "being so good looking". Maybe they feel that they're beautiful and taking photos makes them feel that way. I love the way I look in the mirror but I'm far from being a narcissist.

• Depends. I can usually tell if they're narcissistic, or if they're just really insecure and desperate for likes to help with their confidence. Like if you're going to post 4-5 selfies a week do you even have a life? God I wish I was that bored

• I think people who take selfies all the time are showing narcissistic qualities.

Now, there's a difference between taking 10 pictures to find one you like, personally, I think this is insecure but also being a perfectionist. I do this a lot when I want to update my profile picture.

And then there's the person with 1,000 pictures of their face on their phone. And 1,000 on facebook. And the social media attention seeker. Those people are into themselves and also needy for attention.

• I have a friend who does it all the time. Every chance she gets. And she's the kindest, most giving, attentive and most unselfish girl I've ever met. She can't pass a sad stranger without attempting to cheer them up.
    So no, I don't think that's it.

• I guess it depends on why you're taking them. If you have a million selfies on social media or a ton of rate me questions then probably.
    For myself I said no because I take them for fun but mostly just to send to my friend or update a profile pic. But maybe that makes me evil? Lol

• Lol majority of guys said yes and majority of girls said no. That isn't a surprise. After all women like to take selfies more and no one really bats an eye u less she constantly posts them all the time for the world to see. But if a guy take photos a lot people think he is weird and prideful. Plus even so, most guys I know aren't much into pictur3s to begin with in comparison to girls.

• It's one of the traits of narcissism. That doesn't mean that just anyone who takes a bunch of selfies are narcissists, though. It goes deeper than that. Usually, people who are narcissists have a huge sense of entitlement, they think nothing is their fault, they don't think they have any flaws, they have a high sense of self-importance... and I am sure there is more signs.

I know a few people who are narcissists who don't take too many selfies.

• Depends on the person.

I have low self-esteem but I take a lot of selfies because it makes me feel better about myself.

• In my opinion, it is one of two things. They are either narcissists or they are insecure and in need of constant compliments and reassurance. There is nothing wrong with the occasional selfie, ti show off a new haircut or outfit or something like that, but we all know those people that go overboard and those are the ones I feel are either narcissists or insecure.

• in most cases... YES people who are like ALWAYS taking selfies of themselves sound self-centered... taking selfie once in a while ain't bad.. but people who do it way tooo often errr... :/ :/

• They don't have to be extremely self centered, but they are narcissistic OR they're very insecure and are trying to manipulate the angles to feel better about their pictures, if not about themselves.

• They're probably very vain, I don't know about narsastic though.

• Yes. Pretty much. I say if you need a picture, try to capture and appreciate something other than your own face.

• Selfies are kinda lame...

• The chances of it is probably really high. That or they have a self-esteem issue and spam them to get comments.

Though some might just do it out of boredom.

• I believe that studies have shown people who take lots of selfies are narcissists. However, I don't think that you can say that *all* people who take a lot of selfies are narcissists, just that there's a strong correlation between taking a lot of pictures of yourself and narcissism.

• Hm there was a study conducting that individuals who take selfie all the time are self-conscious and have the lowest self-esteem.. so I don't know; you either fall into the category of being a narcissist or the category of being self-conscious and having low self-esteem.

• If you've ever met a real narcissist, you'd see how freaky they are. They are unpleasant as fuck to be around. I think we are headed towards people being more independent minded and self-absorbed. Not to the level of narcissism, but I think taking a lot of selfies either reveals a serious insecurity or a newfound confidence (complete opposites right? lol).

• No. It's very rare to find someone who only cares about themselves actually...

• Honestly I don't get why people take excessive amounts of selfies... I take a few but not as many as some people I know. My friend post selfies
    3-6 a day on instagram using the same pose, same face, different filters but always full face with her face angled slightly so only her right eye is out of sight. It's crazy.
    But to each there own I guess, I dont think I'll ever understand it😂

• Lets be honest, I'm one of them and I love myself. But I still do care about other people like my mom <3.

• No, it is part of being of the technological age

• Some people I do. Especially the ones who turn to show their ass.

• aham I am a bit guilty :P

• No, they're vain. narcissism is more than liking how u look, vanity isn't wrong :P

• not necessarily

• More from Girls
    12