Anyone else grew up poor? If so name a time when you knew?

Mine was when I over heard my 3 female cousins talking about how old, small, and crummy my house was and that they didn't understand how I survive living here after that they proceed their interesting conversation with how my dad's a trash me and laughed. I never thought my house was crap but i sure felt like it after that but i did burst into the room crying and knocked most of the hair rollers out of one their heads and took a few swings at the other two before my older brothers broke us up.

Good times and still can whoop their scrawny snooty asses lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty much the first half of my life about 10 years or so, I lived in what is now the most dangerous and violent area in town basically the ghetto.

After that though we moved to a nice house in a middle-class neighborhood but finically we've always been poor even now.

Most Helpful Girl

• We didn't shop on clear-ance, we shopped on clar-ance. Haha, nothing besides jeans, shoes, and sweaters over 5, and the top better be special if it's about 5.

And then you see everything your friends have or how their houses look or their cars or parent's cars, and my family simply didn't have all that. We had an old house built in the 60's in a neighborhood everyone couldn't believe I stayed in, where occasionally people got shot and you could buy drugs easily... and that's just the way things were.

And I think growing up poor definitely sucks in many ways, but you definitely have a learning curve. I learned to manage my money, spend only what I need to, and use coupons like nobody's business. So, when I moved out to my first college apartment, I was spending about 10 dollars for 2 weeks worth of groceries and eating like a king (until the money ran out and I was saving the fat stalk of a broccoli 'just incase') XD

When you grow up poor, you get those good survival skills!

What Guys Said 4

• When my parents split, and my dad got a good job, far away, I lived with my brother, and mom, in a shtty little apartment, and we qualified for government cheese, and bread!!
    We were so poor, I said we were 'Po' because we couldn't afford the 'or' at the end of "Poor"!!
    My mom knew, as her mother grew up during the Depression, and then she grew up during World War Two!!
    She was used to not having sht!!, and somehow we got through it!

• Yes, I grew up poor, and I knew by the time I first had friends.

• I don't know if id say poor i never went hungry but definitely not rich

• Probably as early as 6. Even at that age you know that living in a car isn't what rich people do.

What Girls Said 3

• YES I AM POOR AS F!

• i didn't grow up poor, i grew up average. but... i could tell the difference between my lifestyle and a poorer classmate's lifestyle from around 5-6 years old :/

• I always knew, every thing we had was second hand and I always got my older sisters hand me downs. for birthdays and Christmas we got new things but most were practical gifts. my parents would scrimp and save all year and every year or 2nd year we would go on a 2 week vacation somewhere in South Australia. I knew we were poor but I had all I ever needed