Why did paypal charge me a fee for receiving money?

I've had people send money before and it never took any money from me. I had someone send me money and it charged my $1.46. Below the persons name it says ok to ship, print shipping label. What did he do different? The other person I get money from it just shows his name and email and I get the full amount, whereas the other person it shows the persons address and everything. I thought if you aren't selling anything and you're just sending money to someone, then their isn't a fee? It looks like he went through ebay or something to give me my money, or maybe paid with a credit card?

Most Helpful Girl

• Paypal has recently started taking a small comission for receiving money and paying for anything.

• Thank you =)

• I don't think I gave you mho, but you're welcome :P Oh and by the way the other guy who pays me still pays me and it doesn't take out a fee, so he's probably paying with a credit card or something.

Most Helpful Guy

• Service charge.

I think it happened to the person I sent money too, they took a little off the top for their services.

• I think they paid with a credit card or something. Paypal has to cover the credit card processing fees. Whereas a direct payment from a bank account is free. It's the only thing I can think of. I called them and the lady couldn't explain it either.

What Girls Said 2

• At some ATM machines they will do it because they don't work together

• I'm not completely clear about this but depending on why they sent the money, PayPal will take a small percentage

What Guys Said 1

• They're not as fool-proof or safe as they advertise. Paypal screws up a lot and there's not much you can do about it when they do because they have fine print up the wazoo to protect themselves.

• Under the amount received it says ok to ship and then it says add tracking info. So he did something different cause I just had a buddy send me money to see if it would charge a fee and I got the full amount with no fee attached. I called paypal and the lady was no help, she said going forward a fee will be charged. She acted like I was a complete idiot.