Is this the Irony of the ongoing Refugee debate, particularly relating to Nations like the UK/USA?

Is this the Irony of the ongoing Refugee debate, particularly relating to Nations like the UK/USA?

Updates:

1|0
5|15

Most Helpful Guy

• "America's wars continue to account for many of the world's refugees: 4.7m originate from Iraq and Afghanistan, almost half the world's total, according to the UNHCR's annual report. America also accepts more refugees for permanent settlement than any other country (71,400 in 2010). Most refugees, however, end up as temporary residents in neighbouring countries. If a conflict or natural disaster is regional, states of origin may also be host states. "
    That was before the US started meddling in Syria...:
    media.economist.com/.../20110625_inc070.gif
    http://www.economist.com/node/18867622

It got worse:
    bloviatingzeppelin.net/.../...ration-SURGE-MAP.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/262bdvt.jpg

oi68.tinypic.com/.../bh115i.jpg

And then we read Americans and their English allies complaining that refugees try to get in.

Is that their irony? Stirring a hornet's nest at the neighbors' fence and yelling loud when fear they too might get some hornets?
    Or is it sheer hypocrisy?

1|1
    0|0
    • It is a tragedy :(

You are old enough to remember the terrible suffering after the Vietnam war from a refugee point of view. That was chillin in its human suffering, with most of it felt in Nations not involved in the conflict.

even taking it a step further, the refugees created from the Western powers turning blind eyes to conflicts- think Bosnia, Burma, Eritrea.. etc etc etc

• Show All
    • @Waffles731 Germany alone has accepted one million refugees.

• The war didn't account for the refugees. Abandoning the people before the job was done is what caused it. So yes, it is America's fault but not because of the reasoning you gave.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think that's the only reason that's happening.

0|3
    0|0
    • @Mustachekitteh War results in refugees. If you export war you end with importing refugees. Unless you have a sea to protect you from them, of course. Then only a few make it to your country. Then those without a sea end up with the refugees.

• Show All
    • "the USA should take them since the refugees are basically destroying Europe." I don't think the US didn't calculate the effect of their wars on E. U. economy. The US isn't that dumb.

"Though sending them here could mean they would be treated the same way we treated the Cubans that came here as refugees."
      That wasn't really bad. But it happened at a moment the US still had the idea of a military invasion in Cuba (Bay of Pigs, remember?) During that period the CIA didn't think hi jacking Cuban planes was a crime.

• Kinda true, but obviously there's more going on than that. As a matter of principle I think you're right though, we need to stop warring with every nation that we feel entitled to steal oil from

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people would NEVER leave their country, they would rather to die there. True that these bigger powers keep controlling other nations destinies based on their on interests. but it's not always true that people will always run away from where they belong, they might shelter, but will always have the dream to go back home.

0|0
    0|0
  • As an American I think the Europeans should take all the refugees. By all means please take them since everyone hates America 😂

0|0
    0|0
    • why can't we send them all to israel? or saudi arabia? or turkey?

• Show All
    • @jacquesvol all these foreigners claim to hate America yet why do they have to come here? Europeans claim to be more accepting and think Americans are racist so the Europeans need to take the refugees

• i accept not to have shit bombed in my country...

• hmmmm this is a problem

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Not every refugee that's coming in is trying to escape the terrorists. Some of them ARE the terrorists. They want to use subterfuge and political battery / lawfare to destroy the host culture that gave their brothers back home all those lovely weapons, so as to bite the hand that fed them.

It's not enough that we're foolish enough to elect lowlife loathe traitors who give our armaments to terrorist vermin. We then let those treacherous leaders import terrorists into our country to demand the toppling of our laws in favor of theirs in a stealth coup - who then also use the fact that they were imported here so foolishly as a means of tracking down the saps that dared come here for refuge, to show them that there is no safe place on Earth.

Don't believe me? The reason - which ABC refused to report - why those ISIS guys beheaded those Egyptian refugees in Virginia, is because they are Coptics who fled to Virginia to escape the genocide in Syria and Egypt against the Coptics.

In Mortal Kombatese, ISIS was saying: "Get over HERE!!!"

0|0
    0|0
  • The irony are situations like that going on in Duesseldorf Germany. 4 Syrians, 2 of which were refugees planned a bombing. 1 of the 4 supposedly grew a conscience and turned himself in. Flipped on the other three. He's the only reason it's not a mainstream story right now

0|1
    0|0
    • Doesn't help that Obama abandoned Iraq. But we voted him in so we all abandoned Iraq. Because of that ISIS rose to power and took over. Now they get to spread their terror all because our president doesn't give a damn.

• The armaments supplied to the Syrian regime (the Assad regime) came not from the UK or the US but from Russia and Iran. So the cartoon, in trying to make a point, isn't very effective.

0|0
    0|0
    • ISIS has had a profound effect in the region and who were they armed to the teeth by, back in the day?

• Show All
    • *Qatar (not Quatar, my misspel.)

• @TadCurious First , in Iraq, the Pentagon armed about everyone who claimed he'd fight Saddam. After Saddam was killed, the next target was Assad and the US armed about everyone who claimed he'd fight Assad. Al Nusra and All Qaeda included. (as they did in Afghanistan, even before the Russians arrived in Afghanistan). Then Al Qaeda in the Levant became ISIS. The US army 'lost' 200,000 light arms in Iraq. edition.cnn.com/.../index.html?iref=nextin
      www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/06/usa.iraq
      200,000 AK47 don't rust away in a few years. Certainly not in a region where the Pentagon wants to eliminate a second chief of state.(and of course, those AK47 weren't 'made in USA') Ain't that strange?

• Nope. There's no valid link. There are refugees in countries that have no advanced warfare capabilities from us.

Further, while it's fine to export defense tech to our friends, it's deeply stupid to let our enemies. Colonize us.

0|0
    0|0
  • That region of the world has always had refugees, the USA and UK helped them more than any other country did. Talk about the dumbing down of a situation? this is it.

0|0
    0|0
    • All parts of the world have had refugees, not just Syria

Educate yourself and look up places like Somalia or Afghanistan if you get a chance

• Show All
    • And i was replying to your generalisation that

'That region of the world has always had refugees'

Which turns a blind eye to the many places that have endless more refugees. For example, Afganistan after many were displaced over generations by various military involvement there. Or indo china with the focus on Cambodia and Vietnam after the Vietnam war. At its height the refugess camp of Aranyaprathet on the Thai border had up to 3 million inhabitants. All displaced and in a nomans land because they could find sanctuary anywhere, and it was not safe to go on.

Eritrea...
      Somalia...
      Bosnia...
      the Sudan...
      Burma...
      etc etc etc etc etc

• Okay? relevancy dude! Where are we getting the most refugees from? Poland? And where are they fleeing from? The middle east and north africa. Why? Terror attacks. Base your argument dude i have no fucking clue as to what you are getting at. Where i stand on my opinion is that this photo was meant to dumb down the situation compared to what really is occurring, just a base generalization really. I stand by it. What you are saying has no relevance to my opinion.

• By this logic Iran and Russia should take in all the Syrian refugees... by the way, since when do regular citizens get to share in arms manufacturer's export profits?

0|1
    0|0
    • Last time I looked ISIS had a huge effect in Syria, and who were they armed to the teeth by back in the day? :)

• They stole most of their stuff from the Syrian and Iraqi militaries, the rest theybought on the black market or inherited from Al Qaeda. The Syrian government is actually responsible for the majority of deaths, wounded and destruction of homes/infrastructure and a large portion of Syrian refugees are escaping conscription by the Syrian military.

Of course it's never black and white: before the war there was a lot of poverty and unemployment in Syria and people were killed and/or tortured by the government all the time, people had valid reasons for the revolution which later turned to war because Assad wouldn't even contemplate an interim government (with his own party in it and him retiting abroad in luxury) and therefore ordered his troops to shoot and bomb protesters (with half the troops saying "I didn't sign up for this sh*t and turning against the government).

• JohnDoe3000 just schooled you. LOL.

• sorry but the situation is far more complex than your silly catch phrase.

0|0
    0|0
    • definitely so, but there is a modicum of truth to it

• Show All
    • There is more of a modicum of truth to the statement that there's nothing wrong with contributing to war and complaining about refugees at the same time.

• @advice_guy20 Well since the only way to debate from here is HUGE!! amounts of discussion and getting sources and debates about morality and on and on and on... Kind of pointless to be honest.

So let's just agree to disagree.

• i have not voted for war, and i have not voted for mass immigration. democracy? where are you?

0|2
    0|0
    • i believe in helping our fellow human. i see you are from Belgium, go back a few generations to WW2 and how hordes were fleeing Europe out of fear of the Nazi's

taking shelter and being welcomed in many of the Nations the refugees are fleeing from now

• Show All
    • @gobsmacked3
      Indeed, after 1933 hordes were fleeing Europe out of fear of the Nazi's. The US only granted entry to very few of them.

• @anonman32 Indeed, KSA oil reserves being overestimated was a game changer.
      www.theguardian.com/.../saudi-oil-reserves-overstated-wikileaks
      Because they discovered also that Iraq oil reserves were highly underestimated:
      http://dgs.org/events/142/
      money.cnn.com/.../index.htm
      Of course, the White House and Wall Street knew it years before it appeared in the media.
      Thus we can rightly suppose President G-W Bush had to take action to safeguard US interests.

• The thing is, no nation is required to take in the refugees. It is all done voluntary to be generous, but we don't have to do it. So yes, We can make war and complain about refugees at the same time.

0|0
    0|0
  • The People don't export arms.

The Government doesn't complain about refugees.

Double blind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty true, yeah. We are reaping what we have sown.

0|0
    0|0
  • The issue isn't refugees as much as it is economic migrants. People who come but don't integrate into society well, they come to make money to send back home or they don't have a family and just come to make money for themselves but still have no interest in integrating into western society. Instead, bring their own backwards af culture into western society. They form insular communities and have families than continue to be at odds with the prevailing culture and have no respect for it's laws.

0|0
    0|0
  • they can fuck off to a different country, london is full of these foreign cunts

0|2
    0|0
  • I think the problem with the argument is it assumes the same people are getting the advantage of exporting the armaments and dealing with the problem of importing refugees. In fact the people who export the armaments are insulated from the effects of their trade, it is in economic terms an externality, like air pollution or toxic waste. They get the profit and other people have to deal with the undesirable effects. So what your cartoon is really saying is more like if you live next to a factory you shouldn't complain about pollution. I'd say you can and should complain and make the factory deal with it's pollution or shut it down.

In any case if the US or UK didn't supply arms they would still get the refugees. They aren't coming here because of our arms sales.

0|1
    0|0