Alternatives to consuming capsules (can't swallow pills)?

I have always had a difficult time swallowing pills. My throat seems to reject it every time (it tightens up and the pill can't go down). I think it has to do with the fact that I nearly died twice from choking on food as a child, but, even so, this "fear" is silly.

I have to get a root canal done in two weeks. In the meantime, I have to take three 500 mg capsules of amoxicillin every day. I've done this before with a previous root canal (and occasionally could swallow them easily), but it seems difficult to do now.
Instead of trying to swallow it a hundred times, I've been dumping the "powder" into some water and drinking it. It's difficult to do that even, because amoxicillin doesn't dissolve. It sinks. If I try to just swallow the whole capsule, it ends up becoming soft and breaking before I can, which tastes far worse than just drinking what's inside it.

Anyway, is it alright to do this, or should I find some other way to take the pills? I can't just "grow up and take 'em" because my throat does NOT let me. I try taking a sip of water and throwing my head back, but it doesn't work. It's strange, I know. When I take any kind of pill, I have to crush it up or wait for it to dissolve, because it's very difficult to swallow medication.

Most Helpful Guy

• Talk to your pharmacist. They can call your doctor's office and get your prescription changed to the pediatric liquid form.
    You have more company than you know in not being able to swallow pills. I have a pediatrician friend who cannot.

Most Helpful Girl

• Until you know what’s behind your swallowing issues, I'll give you a few tips you can do to make swallowing medicine a little easier. Put a pill in applesauce or pudding, the texture can make it easier to swallow pills whole. Or you grind a pill into a powder and add it to applesauce or pudding. Or you can either cut a pill with a pill splitter and swallow the smaller pieces one by one.

Make sure you ask your pharmacist if it’s okay to cut or grind a medication. Timed-release or enteric-coated medicines shouldn’t be broken apart. It may also be possible to get your medicine in another form, such as a powder, cream, or liquid, so don’t hesitate to ask.

If you have trouble swallowing pills or anything else, don’t put off getting an evaluation. Start with your primary care physician, who will likely refer you to an ear, nose, and throat specialist or to a speech-language pathologist for a swallowing assessment.

Facing the possibility that you have a swallowing disorder may be a hard pill to swallow, but learning ways to overcome it will make your future of taking medication a lot safer.

Wishing you the best of luck.

What Guys Said 3

• I must warn you, you can't crush and open every pill. Some drugs have a timely release so you must always ask your GP beforehand.

In your case you are taking an antibiotic. That one you can open and I suggest sprinkling it in something sweet, like pudding or fruit yoghurt.

• Okay. That's what I was curious about. I wasn't sure if opening the capsule was the right thing to do.

• can you open the capsules and put the powder on your food? or perhaps you can make the capsules dissolve in water? or maybe you can mix them up?

• They don't dissolve. I guess I could try the food thing, but I wouldn't know what to eat to do that.

• open the capsules and put them in mashed potatos?

• just swallow pills with a mouth full of water. it´s easy this way.

• I can't! That's the point of this question.

• it´s just in your head then. keep trying. just think about something you just chew want to swallow now.

What Girls Said 3

• You can try cutting them in half and putting it in a food item if you're allowed to digest them with food

• Put it in something soft you like. Yogurt or applesauce. You won't even notice it.

• Good idea. There is yogurt I could use.

• have you tried the liquid? it works and in some cases it tastes like bubble gum.

• There's liquid amoxicillin? I'd take it if I knew it existed. Doctors automatically prescribe capsules.

• sure there is. my niece has some in the fridge and i was taking it to get rid of strep throat. it's pretty tasty.