What’s the difference between the words “Netherlands” and “Holland”?

Most Helpful Girl

• A friend of mine who's from the Netherlands told me that Holland is just a part of the country, which is Netherlands.

• Which part?

• How should I know. Just a part, a region.

• You are correct. The Netherlands has 12 parts and to of them are Holland (north and South)

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• The Netherlands is a country. It has several provinces, two of them are called "North-Holland" and "South-Holland". Holland is the combination of "North-Holland" and "South-Holland", but it isn't a country itself. It's just part of the Netherlands.

• The Netherlands is a country, Holland is a region in Netherlands.

What Guys Said 9

• Holland is to the Netherlands as Scotland is to the United Kingdom and Nebraska is to the United States.

• Netherlands is the country and Holland is a region of it.

But here in Luxembourg the word Netherlands doesn't exist, we call the country Holland

• Netherlands is the country, Holland is 2 province North and South Holland.
    People commonly refer to Netherlands as Holland because it used to be a big shipping area and it just stuck.

• they're spelled differently.

• Everything.

• Uhh, the letters.

• The Netherlands is a country. Holland is just a region of the Netherlands. I think I"m not Dutch.

• They both basically mean low-lying land.

• Holland is the landmass of Holland. Netherlands is the land mass of Holland and all of its dependencies.