Why is pity a bad thing?

When people say "I don't need your pity" or "I don't want your pity"
I don't get why people say that! Heck I love pity! Pity means someone is trying to understand what you're going through, that they sympathize.

^ *speaking in a cheery loud tone*

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a pride thing. They don't want to feel like failures, so they think that someone feeling pity for them validates that they are.

What Guys Said 9

• You're equating pity to sympathy.
    Pitying someone is belittling them. Emphasizing how they are beneath you and that you are sorry for them, because they're not on your level.

• "Pity means someone is trying to understand what you're going through, that they sympathize."

You clearly don't understand what pity is...

• I so do. You look up the word pity. I'm going to do that for you. Pity: the feeling of sorrow and compassion caused by the sufferings and misfortunes of others.

• And when I pity someone I feel sorry for them and compassion and try to sympathize for them.

• Because it doesn't help. It's all feelings.

• Maybe it doesn't help, but it means I'm trying to understand what they're going through. And that's the only thing people can do for someone when something bad happens.

• That's what I meant

• Okay, that's what I do too

• Because people lets their pride get in the way

• It makes us feel weak.

• Well I apologize to anybody who I offended and who I made feel weak that was certainly not my intention

• No problem, it's just a question. That was just my response for why I personally don't like pity.

• Unfortunately I think pity shows weakness so only the person being pity would probably not like it

• Pitty is pissing on someone's leg and telling them it's raining

• Empathy is understanding what someone is going through, pity has the connotation of being dispensed from a superior to an inferior.

• Depends on the context. A lot of the time it comes across as condescending.

What Girls Said 13

• pit·y
    ˈpidē/
    noun
    1.
    the feeling of sorrow and compassion caused by the suffering and misfortunes of others.
    "her voice was full of pity"
    synonyms: compassion, commiseration, condolence, sympathy, fellow feeling, understanding; More
    2.
    a cause for regret or disappointment.
    "what a pity we can't be friends"

com·pas·sion
    kəmˈpaSHən/Submit
    noun
    sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.

em·pa·thy
    ˈempəTHē/Submit
    noun
    the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

sym·pa·thy
    ˈsimpəTHē/Submit
    noun
    1.
    feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune.
    "they had great sympathy for the flood victims"
    synonyms: compassion, caring, concern, solicitude, empathy; More
    2.
    understanding between people; common feeling.

Sympathy and pity overlap, but empathy along with compassion is where it's at, not pity.

• I don't really like pity myself, I prefer empathy.

Pity simply means "I feel sorry for you"

Empathy means "I am trying to put myself in your shoes in order to understand what you are going through"

• What you love is sympathy, which is when someone feels or understands your situation. Pity is condescending.

• I guess it would depend on the type of pity. It is nice for someone to understand you or the situation, especially from a friend or family member. Howevever sometime pity can may insult others because the person can feel as if they are not being respected or their ego is being tarnished. In General, we all like sympathy but sympathy will not solve the issue realistically. Basically if u really care about a person u should give them the respect of understanding but not mourning with them.

• Its not something I like!

• because it displays an unequal status of power between the individual who pities and the individual who is being pitied on with the former having the upper hand.

• No there's a difference between pity, sympathy, and empathy

• I don't like anyone having pity on me if they're not gonna offer any help. It's not a bad thing, I just hate it. I'd be like: "I know you're trying to sympathize, but that does not do me any better. It makes me feel bad about myself, and my situation more. Thanks but no."

• it means that you are beneath them that people should treat you as something to be careful of because you may contaminate them if you are aloud to get to near

• I think a lot of people say that myself included because either we'd rather get empathy, just want to feel normal again, or need some alone time. Pity is a more shallow thing, in my opinion.

• nobody wants you to feel sorry for them lol thats pathetic. it doesn't help anything

• Some people don't want to admit it when they need support.

• Because you don't want someone to feel bad for you