Can you help me with my computer problem?

People out there knowledgeable about computers I have a problem on my laptop. The audio works, however sound cannot be transfered into the headphones when I plug them in. The computer does not even seem to recognize that the headphones are in there. Thanks for any advice.

I tried another set of headphones with no luck.

Most Helpful Girl

• Clean out the jack of your laptop. If it still doesn't work, it may be the headphones so try a different set. Also make sure you're putting it in the right jack. Most laptops have the jack for the speakers and headphones right next to one another and your headphones won't work if you plug them into the speakers jack.

If this doesn't work, then you need to replace the jack in you laptop.

Most Helpful Guy

• Make sure you have it in the correct slot. My computer has the mic slot right next to the audio one. They look exactly the same and I can't see which one is correct cuz they are labeled poorly.

What Girls Said 2

• maybe your headphones broke or a virus!

• When you plug it in is there a window that pops up asking about an audio hack?

• No there doesn't seem to be one.

• Jack* not hack LOL I use that word so often that my phone autocorrect to hack a lot
      Anyways it's strange that it doesn't recognize your headphones when it's plugged in. Maybe if you have a spare try plugging that in just to make sure the audio jack in your laptop isn't broken.

What Guys Said 2

• Try different headphones. The jacks could be dirty or dusty. Wipe them down or use a Q-tip or something. Also, try restarting and rebooting the computer.

• Go to Device Manager, find the Headphones drivers, and reinstall anything that you would find relevant. (Right click on the Start bar to find Device Manager, or in the Control Panel)