What's your favorite classic in English literature?

By "English" I mean the language, so American classics are of course included.
Also, by classics I don't just mean old works like "Romeo and Juliet" but also modern classics from the 20th century, such as Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" or Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby".

Most Helpful Girl

• The death of a salesman

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you count THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, other than that, maybe FRANKENSTEIN or George Orwell's 84. Really, I don't care much for classics.

• Yes, I think "The Lord of the Rings" can be considered a classic. It is not currently taught at university-level but that might actually change during the next 20-30 years. Some literary critics and professors of literature are arguing that Tolkien's works should be included in the list of classics. "The Lord of the Rings" is certainly a very complex work. I don't know if you knew this already but Tolkien was in fact a professor of English himself and the artificial languages that he created are largely based on Old English (and, to some lesser degree, on Old High German and Old Norse).

1984 is a great book too. Have you read Animal Farm?

• Is it a compulsory work to read in American schools?

• I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

What Girls Said 5

• oh that's so HARD omg i can't even pick.

okay ummmm

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen
    Hamlet & The Merchant of Venice- William Shakespeare
    Withering Heights- Emily Bronte
    Orlando- Virginia Woolf
    The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes [series]- Arthur Conan Doyle
    does the Harry Potter series count? - J. K Rowling...

i actually haven't read the great gatsby, only watched it. need to get onto that.

• No, Harry Potter doesn't count ;-) But it's a great book nonetheless. I study English literature and the way I would define "classic" is as a piece of literature that is "deep" enough that it can be discussed in a university literature class. Harry Potter is a great story but it doesn't really reflect on society or deal with certain problems of our times, if that makes sense.

• haha well i tried :P

yeah it's funny even though I'm studying it too, id like to think harry potter will join the 'classics' someday :P well now i know it'd b considered mainly at the "adult" level. ugh. yeah nah i get ya. thanks!

• Hamlet. My preference is Persian literature though

• Catcher in the Rye
    Of Mice and Men
    Flowers for Algernon

• I didn't know the last one but it sounds interesting :-)

• It's not really a classic but it was a really good read
      I def recommend it

• Though i've read many famous and great classics of English literature. I am going to say Flowers for Algernon. It made me kinder and it changed my views. I am not the same person i was before reading it.

• Anything by agatha christie

What Guys Said 3

• My favorite so far is probably The Black Cat by Allen Poe. I love dark themes in literature.

• little engine that could

• I hated them all.