Can walkie talkies talk to each other?

Okay, this sounds like a stupid question, but bare with me lol. I mean if you get the multi channel walkie talkies, they usually come in a set of two, right? If I have a set of two and tune it to say "Channel 7" and my buddy gets a set of a different two and tunes those to "channel 7" will his radios/walkie talkies be able to communicate with my set?

I need to know b/c I'm going paintballing this month and I think walkie talkies would help.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why dot you guys just test them out now? You have an entire month to get together and then you'd know for sure.

• Well that would be a good idea, except we dont actually have any walkie talkies as of yet lol. I'm asking b/c I'm thinking of getting some.
      I probably should have mentioned that. But thanks for the thought.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Check out the user manual to see on which frequency each of them will transmit if you select "channel 7"... if the MHz (megaherz) or KHz (kiloherz) is the same, one can receive the other.
    From what distance will depend on how strong one sends and how sensitive the other is as a receiver. And also, if one of them is "behind the horizon" no contact either.

• This is actually a really good question and the answer is "maybe". Even if the frequency is the same if the transceiver can't decode the frequency properly it won't work due to encription. There are proprietary frequencies, I believe, and some forms of encoding for obvious reasons related. You also need to mindful of frequency itself; "Channel 7" isn't a frequency so Channel 7 in brand A may not work for brand B, but if you can get the signals to be the same and hence intercepted you can get away with it.

• yes you can even try diverent channels and fine ones from planes or helicopters