Are you an optimist, a pessimist or a realist?

I have a good grip on reality, but I’m a hopeless optimist. I can’t help but think most good things overpower the bad. But the world we live in isn't a perfect place

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 64

• Optimistic all the way. I've jumped out of a plan and was excited about it the entire time. I go into ever test with the belief I'll past regardless of how much studying I put in, I have complete belief that 'once' I finish school I'll have a good job and finally a dog! Will everything work out perfectly, of course not, but little by little I know I'll achieve the things I desire because I'm the only person standing in my way and I have nothing but faith in myself that I'll make it happen.

• It depends. I've dealt with some very difficult personalities. I was always optimistic in the sense that I would make excuses and try to see the best in them, even if all evidence around me pointed to the contrary.

On the flip side, when it came to paper and transactional matters, I would always be conservative, pessimistic, and negative. I wouldn't trust anything the other side said or did, and always question their motivations behind every proposed change. Sometimes, this would end up poisoning the relationship and killing a deal. While it was "easy" to sit back and justify it as, "Well, dodged a bullet there. Good thing we didn't close. I wouldn't want my client doing business with someone like that anyway," what's more accurate is looking at yourself and saying, "Dude, YOU killed that deal. The other side was fine. YOU had some unreasonable issue, and you lost and let go of a perfectly good deal for no good reason. What can you do to make sure this doesn't happen again?"

With litigation, it's just cold dispassionate realism. I don't do personal injury, but my best man does. He was talking to me, over a BBQ, about a case he's handling for a little girl who had half of her face burned and disfigured during a car accident. We were both throwing evidentiary suggestions and trial strategies back and forth casually. Then our wives walk by and overhear what's going on, and their reaction was, "OMG, that's horrible. How is she? How are her parents? How can you guys just talk about her like a damages amount?" Because, we can. It's our job to. If she wants sympathy, she'll find no shortage from others. If she wants therapy, that's not our job. If she wants money, she needs people whose knee jerk reaction is to tel her to save all her Facebook pictures, and tell her parents to save all their pictures of her recently (and contact relatives and schools from any social events she's been to lately and collect as many pictures of her as possible).

I think each mode of thinking has its pros and cons, but I don't think too many people are just one for every single situation in their life

• Most people who claim to be realists are really just pessimists that don't want to say they're pessimistic. Most people don't want to consider themselves a pessimist, even if they are. I'd say I'm an optimist. I truly expect the best in most scenarios, but I prepare for the worst so I'm constantly analyzing alternate possibilities.

• I'm realistically optimistic. I also believe that everything is perfect, because who are mankind to decide what is flawed and broken?

• I think I'm more towards pessimist and realist after having my reality check. Maybe even nihilistic, but I choose to do what I do because I rather choose and do something than simply just sit there on my ass or lie down and do nothing until my time here in this world expires.

• Pessimist

• I like to be a realist. There is no point in dreams that there is no way on earth it is possible for them to happen.

• Optimists, and pessimists both thing they are realists. That is why you have optimists, and pessimists on here both claiming to be realists.

• Probably a pessimist most of all, but I do get my stupid hopes up a lot

• Optimist, I have big dreams and plans for my future. The other two will makes you feel like you can't be someone someday.

• I'm a realist. There are things that I want but cannot have, since they'll hinder me.

That's why I HATE stupid fairytale romance garbage like Twilight, the Hunger Games, Divergent, and 50 Shades of Grey. That's never going to happen in real life.

• So pessimistic lol

• @Azgeda I am not pessimistic, just telling it as it is. I'm not saying all women are evil, but it's fucking difficult to impress women these days, unless you look like Chris Hemsworth.

• You'd rather have someone who's easily impressed :P?

• I prefer to think myself as the realist. Hope for the best but always prepare for the worst.

Sometimes, you need to accept your losses and move on. Never fight a losing fight because of pride or moral; fight to win. If you can not win then withdraw and fight another day.

• a pessimistic realist :P

• I'm an optimistic realist. I hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

• Pessimist to be honest.

• A realist

• I'am idealist.

• Everyone thinks their perspective is a “realist," so I'll just say I'm an optimist

• A realist.
    If you dont count the quite often daydreaming...

• I'm a pessimist.

• realist

• Pessimist

• I'm a optimist and a theorist.

• All pessimists believe they're realists.

• Optimistic and hopeless romantic. Life is too short to be pessimistic.

• I am all 3 at one time or another and I would even add in a cynic at times.

• I got bored of pessimism but I'm not much into false hope so I'm probably a realist

• Pessimist, I can be so negative about things

• Pessimist I think the worst of everyone. And think the world when someone does something good that I wasn't think they would do

• optimistic but realistic

• More from Guys
    34

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 47

• Realistic optimist. If that make's any sense.

• I'm an ALLtheist

• im an optimist/realist. i always acknowledge the world as it is but my hope for better things will only die when i do.

• Generally a pessimist. I tend to to think worst case scenario

• I think mostly optimist 😊

• Both optimist and Realist

• I don't believe any realist of pessimist could truly answer that. A lot pessimist think they are realist (I'm one of them) and realist are usually depressing like 90% of the time so they're basically just pessimist with reasoning

• an optimist and a realist

• I'm a realistic pessimist? I always say I'm not glass half empty, I'm a glass smashed on the floor kinda gal 😅 Terrible.

• realist but sometimes I am really pessimist

• I'm a realist and I talk about motivation, talk about all the things it takes to be greater or are important to win and people want to use excuses all the time.

They say I'm more of a negative one, but I'm seriously not.

• Optimist, with a dash of realism.

• im an optimist/realist

• am a realistic... borderline pessimistic

• More of a realist..

• I'm an optimist disguised as a pessimist. I like to be negative about everything lol. It's just a front.

• I like to say a realist but some would say a pessimist

• All three in their own time:
    Pessimistic with promises tht people make to me so i dont get disappointed
    Optimistic for my future and my students' futures
    Realist for everything else

• I am a realist but I have my pessimistic moments...

• Total optimist, my glass is always half full!

• Optimist! Life is sunshine and rainbows! 🌞🌈

• All of the above. Depends on the day

• Too optimistic 90% of the time.

• I'm an extreme optimist with an extreme realist best friend. Right @suitandtie 😘

• Hey I agree with you, but sometimes life likes to fuck you in the ass. So I'm a pessimist. But I try hard to stay positive, it's really not easy when you've got a lot of bad things going left and right in your life and on a daily basis.

• A realist mostly.

• Huge pessimist.

• Optimistic realist

• Optimist probably that's why my favourite colour is yellow.

• I'm a realist. I can only see the reality of things. No hope or negativity just the truth.

• More from Girls
    17