Manga fans, which is the better design for a male character?

It's undecided which manga-ish character style to go with for a little project I'm helping somebody with.

• Manga fans, which is the better design for a male character?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• The 2nd one is more along the lines of something you would see in most manga, but I mean both are good designs and either would work.

What Girls Said 15

• I like the first one personally. I think it's a bit different in a good way, the second one looks like any other manga out there with no personal style to it. If that's what you want it to be.

• Yup, I was thinking the same thing

• @Gisms Yeah, the first one is more or less inspired by some character styles of males that are supposed to be older in some anime or manga. I'm not sure if that works for a main character. The second one is closer to a more traditional pretty boy type of anime style.

• The first one is refreshingly different from the usual anime-look of the second one.

• Sort of. It's closer to what some anime styles use for "older".

• What is a little of the back story?
    A is much more, in high school, typical kid.
    B is maybe something magical.

• It's a fantasy setting, and this question is a vague poll about art styles, not just for one specific character. The question is how to represent "every man" humans, probably showing some comic relief and not total elegance. I imagine the male prominent style for male elves and others might just use a female art style template and be done with it. The female styles are much easier to decide because everyone seems to be in agreement to just make them wide eyed, etc.

• Hmmm, I've never seen that but did a quick google search. Yea, I guess B is better. I think a more wavy/curly haired guy would be cool too. :)

• The hair on the guys will vary a lot. This is more a question about the face style.

• I like the second one better because the style is more... manga.
    The first one would better fit into a comic.

• Well this is technically western so maybe a comic look is what's preferred.

• Hmm yeah but then you can't call it manga lol

• The second one. The first one is too western looking and even if he were in a manga he'd be one of those no name/no face background characters that you draw to fill up room in a school.

• The second one. The first one is like a "knock off" Manga character. The second one looks more authentic.

• The second one.

• Depends on the genre you want, both are good.
    I'd pick the first one for a serious character, and the second for a less serious one (personality speaking)

• i like the sasuke look alike aka B. i'm not even a manga fan lmfao

• doraemon

• I like the second one.

• I liked A better you should make him your guy

• Whichever one ends up, the design will probably be tweaked closer to the other. Just not sure in which direction.

• thats cool they are both fantastic designs

• Thanks!

• 2 he looks better

• 2nd one looks cooler and the first one looks like the love rival that will never win.

• B is more sexy

What Guys Said 9

• The first one is better for originality; the second one looks better overall, but it also just looks like every other manga character out there.

• B looks like a sneaky underhanded perpetually put upon beta. A is neutral. Could be anybody.

• I like both, but the second one is undeniably a manga character (although maybe it's manga-esque to a point where it becomes a bit hackneyed and unoriginal, but that'll be up to you to decide).

• Well it's not up to me. I am only helping with opinion and with the art. Ultimately it might not even matter, but who knows.

• #2 looks way too feminine.

• A seems more original.

• They look the same.

• The second looks more anime

• i'd go with the first one personally

• Second one way better than first.