Are you aware today is the anniversary of D-Day?

Just wondering people's thoughts of the allied landings and invasion of Normandy that liberated France and was the harbinger of things that led to VE-Day

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.

Quite frankly your not a good American if you don't.

What Girls Said 7

• Oh yes, I'm quite aware of that and I recognize and acknowledge the very important role that Canada played in that operation.

• Canada played a very large part in several major battles. I am grateful to all allied veterans

• yes i did due to my step- dads, dad was a pow in WW2

• no I did not but thanks I will remember

• My boyfriend told me.

• Nope i didn't know it's today

• No, I didn't know. Thank you for the reminder of something I'll likely forget the next day.

• Lots of information already on several tv-stations here.

What Guys Said 16

• Yes, I'm aware of this date. It humbles me to think of the sacrifice those young soldiers made who stormed the beaches at Normandy in the face of that blistering German machine gun fire. So many were lost. So many never even made it out of the landing craft. When I think of what those guys did in establishing a beach head by the end of the day, and I compare it to today's young people of the same age (with their demand for "safe spaces" on college campuses) I'm in awe and ashamed of how far we've fallen.

• My grandfather drove landing craft for the Royal Navy. He was not present at the landings (he was serving in the Med on equally dangerous operations at the time) but while researching LCTs I found this absolutely fascinating account of what life was like aboard them. The author's boat DID partake in the D-Day landings, if you want to read his account of Sword Beach, you can start from the section entitled "The Crossing":
    http://www.combinedops.com/LCT%20Squadron.htm

• As a vet myself thank you for your response

• No, thank you. I have only the smallest inkling of what it means to serve (I was in the Air Cadets, which is like ROTC) but have great respect for all professional soldiers, of all countries. My grandfather nearly died when his ship was hit, my other grandfather escaped from Katyn. I attend a Remembrance Day service every year.

• Thank you

• I did!

It is also my birthday

• I didn't know, but now I do. Those guys had serious guts. You couldn't pay me enough to do what they did. They're definitely more courageous than I'll ever be.

• I think people take the military for granted. D-day caused a lot of deaths of our soldiers to help protect the people back home.

• That it is. Hooray for America, Canada, Great Britain and France!

... sorry to Germany!

• Yes I was.
    June sixth 1944

• 0|0
  • yes... but only because Hearts of Iron 4 got released today and I knew they put it on D-Day. Else I would have known that it's sometime at the beginning of June, but wouldn't have known the exact date

• Yes I was.

• Also the anniversary of the Fally Massacre. Never forget, never forgive.

• Awesome!

• Didn't know.
    Won't remember.

• if it wasn't for them we would likely still be under Nazi rule.

• I wouldn't have remembered if you didn't remind me...