Should women who falsely accuse men of raping them be sentenced?

I'm not sure if it already happens but what do you think?

When I say falsely I mean she straight up lied.

• Yes
  • No
I'm glad everyone agrees with this.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've talked about this before. No they should not.
    You need to understand how the court goes through with rape cases or many other cases in general. If there's not enough evidence case comes through as not guilty/insufficient evidence. In this percentage false accusations are included. Which is why the number seems big when it's actually not.

If those cases of insufficient evidence turns into something that will throw you to jail it would be an ultimate disaster and real rape victims would end up being jailed. And in turn less actual rape victims will report and all rapists walk around loose because fear of not having enough evidence to report them and they'll end up jailed themselves for trying.

And how does someone determine if the accuser is lying or not?
    And like I said in another post, an psychologist has to be involved into court so they can determine if the case seems legit or not by judging the situation and responses and behaviour of the ones involved. And in turn real rape victims do get justice while false accusations become more difficult.

• Thank you, sorry i didn't see the post you posted on before. Yes, I see logic in your response and yeah it is very hard to determine who is right or wrong unless there is enough evidence. I just thought it would be fair for a women who deliberately accuses a man of raping her to face the consequences he would of faced if he actually did it.

• You are completely ignoring the fact that they convict quite a few on testimony alone and no actual evidence

• Actually I had a friend who lied about being rape. She was just upset her boyfriend broke up with her and decided to run off and sleep with him but they had aggressive sex so to say. She ran off and file a police report that same night and he did go to jail for about two years unti the guy's best friend caught her on video saying she lied. It was a huge commotion over it. People lying about rape does happen and if that person goes to jail i think they should get convicted too! Nothing is impossible with the way American's Government system is set up. Just last week a judge let two kids go back to their abusive mom instead of going to their dad and there was enough evidence in the world that the woman was abusive. The court system doesn't care about us. Remember that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Rape crime has an extremely cruel punishment. Your life is destroyed over and over and it makes hell looks like a vacation.

If she managed to convict an innocent guy and layer got the results overturned and the court found out she did it with malice, then she must pay for all of his lost wages, opportunity and years lost. She also must pay for all his legal costs as well as a punitive damage sufficient enough to make she nobody else would ever try to do it again.

Otherwise, the court will have to rectify the problem because it had failed to do its job and must find a way for the guy to get back on track. 10mil+ and a new identity will probably be a good start.

What Girls Said 44

• Yes they should. They should also be named and shamed too, it may protect other potential guys from suffering due to her lies and accusations. Plus, It may help to deter a lot of other woman from lying like this. It seems to be happening a lot more now.

False rape allegations has a detrimental affect on a guys entire life and well-being. He's a victim so she should be treated like a criminal.

• We can all agree that it is definitely wrong and deserves punishment, but who gets to decide what really happened?

Only 1% of rapes reported result in a conviction. So what about the other 99%? Are they somehow all lying or was justice not served? In our legal system being acquitted does not mean they didn't do it. It just means that there was some doubt.

When less than 70% of rapes are ever even reported (I think the number is higher including men) do we really want to be the society to brush it under the rug. It just seems like it could be a slippery slope.

• True but imagine if the guy was telling the truth and everyone turned against him, I can't imagine what he would be going through, his life would be practically ruined.

• @CheshireCat89
      MRAs and other sphincters consider that the girl was lying in all cases when the rapist isn't jailed...

• Probably most false accusers don't have anything to sue for!

• If she owned up to it before he got convicted of it then no. You just said accused not convicted. However, if she owned up to it then she should have to tell everyone that it was a lie and the guy is not a rapist because that would severely hurt his reputation and that would be so shameful for her. If she tried accusing someone and they went to jail and then through tests or something else were found innocent, then there should be consequences. They would have had to go court and lie about it so, I suppose it would be obstruction of justice and lying under oath, what ever those consequences are...

• False report is a fine and a few months jail time which there's already a case of in the media and he served the whole sentence before she came forward which is the status quo when you these cases

• @onikage Yeah, definitely some serious repercussions need to be made and a hefty payment to him from her. She also definitely needs to come out in the media and say what she did.

• He didn't get squat, but she got fined a little over a million and some probation not jail time

• Yeah, I think so. It's an allegation that shouldn't be taken lightly. Isn't it against the law to lie to the police or the courts anyway?

• Absolutely, but only if it's completely proven that she did make it up. Otherwise we risk sending legitimate victims of rape to jail anytime they have "insufficient evidence."

• I know but I don't blame the judges, to be honest. I'm not excusing these sick people who rape women but if the man truly didn't do anything to the women and he is sent to prison for being a rapist then their life would be ruined, people would turn against him, he would lose his whole life due to a decision. I mean the decision of the judge is stressful and hard i would imagine especially because it's a what she says vs what he says. It really is complicated if you think about it. I can't imagine how stressful a judge's job must be.

• Yeah, sorry I didn't really know that until I was told a little earlier. Even so, the process isn't correct if actual rapists aren't sentenced and the victim doesn't get justice. Also due to the fact that some innocent guys actually can suffer if they truly didn't do it. The whole system is just unfair in some aspects to be honest.

• Asker
      Indeed, the whole system is unfair: girls who complain are humiliated by cops and lawyers, rape kits which could prove it true are only tested if police budgets permit it. Thousands of rape kits are destroyed untested. This means that victims of rape don't receive justice but also that 'most likely suspects' are condemned, in some places purely on color of skin.
      Victims of rape are offered money to drop charges and if they accept it (which many poor girls are tempted to), they're called liars and horrible witches trying to destroy a honest guy's future.
      Victim blaming is very common, I even read some of it on G@g.
      Effed up system indeed. Effed up mentality.

• of course! that's messed up! but i think it's hard to prove which is too bad. but on the bright side, i am also pretty sure it's quite rare.

• I'm so tired of this argument...

If someone makes a false report to police, they can be charged with an indictable offense. Doesn't matter what crime they falsely reported. Like any other crime, however, it has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

If someone accuses another person of rape, but are unable to produce sufficient evidence to convict, that does NOT mean they have been proven a liar. It just means they don't have sufficient evidence to convict. Unless there is solid evidence that they lied about it, police aren't going to charge them with making a false report because there is no reason to believe they did.

All you anti-feminists can stop with this "throw the liars in jail" crap because there are already laws in place to do so IN CASES WHERE IT CAN BE PROVEN BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that they lied.

• Funny, because when society tries to take that same approach to convict those accused of rape (Prove beyond a reasonable doubt, Innocent until proven guilty), it gets called Victim Blaming

• @Kylesar Not really, it shows how hot things can go in cases like that and that some don't stop at simple proceedings. (On both sides in some cases)

• @jacquesvol
      Am I supposed to feel bad for him,
      I feel bad for his kids

• I read a good book based around the idea Of this. An academic, polite, kind 18 year old boy was accused of raping his 15 year old step cousin, a troublemaker who had a crush on her cousin and accused him of rale after he refused to have sex with her. The book explained how it can ruin a boy's life, how everyone in the naighborhood would go against him and see him as a monster. It's shocking. And I feel like any girl can pull this, because they are seen as more vunerable and innocent. It wastes police time and severely damages the boys reputation. Getting accused of rape must be so scarring and horrific for a guy to go through, I could imagine tbh. Stuff like that makes me happy I was born female and I hope no guys on here have to go through it. Wouldn't wish it in my worst enemy 😔

• Damn that sounds bad. Fortunately it doesn't happen a lot but when it does it can ruin a guy's life completely. You sound like a really nice person though :)

• Aw thanks... haha Im just for equality

• Yep, me too.

• 100%

• Well ofc plain and simple. She could have potentially ruined or somewhat damaged the guy's life and she would be considered inconsiderated and manipulative. Because she was too selfish to think of how actual rapist and the victims could have had a trial instead and had a potential outcome/day of justice... instead of wasting everyone's time on her lies! Most of the time those cases are out of spite and shame.

• I'm appalled at the people who said no. A rape conviction can absolutely destroy someone's life, which is great if they're actually guilty, but not if they're innocent. They will be tarnished as a rapist forever, they would lose friends/family, they would lose their job and probably never get another job in future. Women should totally be sentenced, they're perverting the course of justice.

Someone I know got accused of hitting his ex. It was either deny it and go to jail or admit to something he didn't do and have probation for a year. He's lost girls he's been dating over it and he's really ashamed of it. The officer says it happens quite a lot. If he stuck up for himself, he'd have a criminal record.

I literally just read about a 22 year old who said she'd ruin her ex's life, so accused him of being beaten and I think raped. They found her out and now she's in jail for 15 months.

• Thank you I was thinking the same thing, at least the majority have common sense haha. Sorry to hear what happened to your friend, I hope he is okay now.

• He's okay, just has to see a probation officer every month.

• Yes! Six months!

• It's a civil matter. If it's outright false, Sue them for libel.

• Yes they are lying under oath. Its a crminal offense.

• I believe that straight up liars are typically prosecuted. However, when people recant their statements, it's not always because they're lying. Typically they are convinced by family or the legal process itself that carrying through with the case will be too much trouble for not enough reward. Sometimes victims recant because they don't want to have to keep reliving their traumatic experience over and over again until someone is satisfied that they're telling the truth (because naturally, everyone who says they were raped is lying).

• yes totally

• Is someone falsley accuses another of rape they can be in imprisoned for perverting the course of justice , which carries a maximum life jail term in the UK.

Women do in the uk, and should go to jail when the prosecution can prove that the original rape allegation was false.

By thw way conviction rates in every country is low for rape because it's usually one person's word against another. Not because most women are liars. No developed country will send a person to jail with little to no proof.

• Yeah, what you said is all very true, I mean it is a complicated decision for a judge to make if there isn't enough evidence. Do you think they use lie detectors?

• Because people evade the detection of a lie by using various techniques such as faking a cold, squeezing the muscles of one's posterior, and so forth. These techniques would cause a reading on the polygraph that would show increased physiological activity even when the person is not lying, making it difficult to detect any variation when the person does tell a falsehood.

• Ohhh, damn. Well they should try to create a method of a lie detectors test without it's flaws.

• Yes of course.

• Of course, it is actually sentenced in my country bc it's calumny.

• That's good, what kind of sentences do they receive? Where are you from by the way?

• Thank you @Jxpxtxr

• Not you honey sorry

• False allegations are a criminal offense and should be treated just as any other crime. So yes, they should be sentenced.

• It already happens

• of course, people who report false rape should be fined or thrown in jail. we all agree that rapist and molesters get jail time because a lot of the time they dont.

• Yes absolutely... that individuals life has changed forever once someone accuses them of rape. There should be a punishment

• They may be charged with filing a false police report, & may face civil liability for malicious prosecution.

• Yes she should go to jail for it. Same as if someone falsely accuse someone of murder and putting someone innocent in jail. Yes I know this happens more than we would like but that just proves how wrong it is. Both false accusations ruins that person life even after being proven innocent, the damage has already been done. So people won't change their mind and act like as if that person actually did it.

• Absolutely. I believe if the man accused was sentenced then they should serve the same time. However, if it's a accusation proven to be a lie then they should suffer a penalty. If people get away with things they think they can do it again.

• Yes definitely. My brother was "accused" of rape and it was false. Thankfully he had a good lawyer.

• Yes, definitely.

• Yes definitely. It's really common in the U. S. for women to do this which is very sad because so many men's lives get ruined. Plus it ruins it for the women who have actually been raped because the system won't take them seriously.

• Yes. they should be sentenced. Many times the woman is not the victim as they are mean women in this planet,

• More from Girls
    14

What Guys Said 70

• Filing a false report with the police is a punishable misdemeanor or felony.
    False accusations are libel and slander, defamation are punishable.
    thelawdictionary.org/.../
    No new laws needed thus. The Law already stipulates what may happen to those who do it.

• She is at least guilty of filing a false police report and perjury when she signed the report. She is also open to one hell of a civil suit, esp is she's under 21 and her parents have money.

• i think anyone (regardless of gender) who knowingly makes false criminal accusations should be considered criminals

• Damn right, lock those hoes up for at least 7 years (no early releasing them either LOL)

• They should be sentenced just as severely as a man that is convinced of rape and required to serve the full time just as a convicted rapist would have to

• I'd recommend an indefinite period of incarceration for the person (man/woman) who lied about being raped... UNTIL the victim (man/woman) who was lied about, is able to pick up the pieces of their lives which the liar had shattered.
    Rape is a serious charge all over the world, true or false, your reputation, life, views, opinions, employment, social circle, even credit (lol) etc could be ruined forever. So as long as the victim's life is in pieces, the liar should be locked up as well.
    Release being dependent on the person who was lied against.

• Yes , because she intended to totally destroy the life of an innocent man , and just as importantly , this also hinders justice for the REAL rape victims. Men are automatically assumed to be guilty , just for being accused , plus the accusation always sticks. @Victorianne , naming & shaming with publicly clearing the man's name is a good move... in addition to a jail sentence for her.

• The problem with this sort of law has been brought up before on a few occasions before.

If a person does get away with rape then the victim could face punishment for false rape allegations.

This would only lead to the problem of more woman not reporting rapes because of the fear of no one believing her and getting false rape allegations turned into a charge against her.

• I know, yeah. They should come up with a new way to see how is if it's true or not... maybe a new lie detector without the current flaws.

• yes, in Belgium we have laws for that. your honor and name has to be restored and it is illegal to falsely accuse someone of a crime they did not commit. if you are found guilty of this you can go to jail and you have to pay monetary compensation for that person.

• This should be a law in every country

• @ Anonymous_Asker Similar laws exist in about all countries.

• They are sentenced in my country , false accusation got a punishment here like from 24 hrs to 3 years prison according to what the judge say

• The problem with prosecuting women who lie is in proving that they lied. The burden of proof is just as high for proving perjury as it is for proving sexual assault.

• The sentence should be the same as for rape. Her life and reputation should be ruined. She should be placed on the sex offender list and go around the neighborhood explaining to everyone that she once lied about being raped so that everybody stays away from the bitch.

• Hell yeah.

I hate it when women falsely accuse men of rape and men have to serve sentences for something that they didn't do.

Look what happened to Brian Banks?

• I believe in some countries criminal charges can laid along the lines of wasting police time and maybe defamation charges plus of course the civil route of lawsuits - There are multiple concerns for me obviously the impact on the guys accused but also it may have a negative effect for genuine sexual assault victims by creating a reluctance to come forward and report assaults in certain circumstances.

• They already are, about 6% of the accusations turn out to be false, and they are charged and sentenced.

• It does happen; falsely and intentionally accusing someone of a crime is a crime.

• That's what i meant anyway

• Surprisingly I voted no to prison sentencing. However I do think she should be subject to civil penalties like having to pay for the man's court costs, and monetary damages from loss of job, reputation, stress or whatever.

• I think a woman (or a man) who falsely accuses someone of rape should be punished, yes.

• Being accused of rape is not fun and if your wrongfully accused, especially on purpose than she should be punished

• How about just people who accuse in general

• Yeah, true.

• That law already exists...

• @Sara413 I wasn't aware! THen it's all good!

• Yes, falsely reporting a crime is against the law!

• It would be nice if they were locked up but its pretty hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she intentionally made a false report.

• Yes. They've already ruined the man's life just with the accusation, so they should get sent to prison for this.

• Ruined his life? Possible but not certain.
      Most rape complaints are just filed without any action. Many rape kits are destroyed without analysis.

• @jacquesvol In the mattress girl case, the guy was expelled from school, had his name all over the Internet and media, and he didn't do anything. It was clearly proven by texts that she lied.
      These has happened other times too.

• This site has AT LEAST 34 feminazis

• I think there should be perjury charges if it can be proved that there was malicious intent, but at the same time, many women already don't report when they are raped because they are afraid that if they don't get a conviction, there will be negative effects on their life, and making it an automatic would drive women away from standing up for themselves.

• There has to be some repercussion, as it haslikely damaged the guys reputation and quality of life.

• I voted no only because at first I misunderstood the question you were asking.
    So, minus 1 vote off men, and yes, women should definitely be sentenced for falsely accusing a man for rape. Like what @Victorianne said I believe they should be ''named and shammed'' as well. Usually stories get out and it just paints a dark image over someone whether or not they did it so, same should be done to the person who lied about it in the first place.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Yes. She should get the exact amount of prison-time he would have faced, if she got through with it. That should be the case for all purposeful false accusations.

• No women are perfect and they are like god since they can create life in their bodies the most they should get is 1 hour in jail with free cable tv.

• More from Guys
    40