Would you rather be a jack of many trades or a master of one?

A master of one, for me.

In my humble opinion, if you want to achieve success therefore, you must specialize in something and be among the best people who do that thing. Sure there are some cases of brilliant people who were the best doing several different things, but that is the exception that confirms the rule.

What about you, do you all know what you want to do, why/why not?

Thanks.

• A jack of many trades
  • A master of one

Most Helpful Guy

• It comes down to either being a specialist or a generalist. In most jobs, generalists are worth less because they have a basic idea of what needs to be done, but they will often need to rely on experts to do the heavy lifting. While they understand what's going on - usually from a layman perspective, they can't actually do the work.

The more specialized you are, the more people will go to you if they have that type of problem that needs to be solved. And if you're top of the ladder in your niche, you can command a lot of money for your services.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 10

• I find it doesn't really work like that. It's true to become extremely good at something you have to specialize but I've met lots of people who were good enough to be called masters at all sorts of things. Some people just care about doing things well. They do everything they do well.

• It's easy to say 'master of none,' but the truth is... If you are looking for higher paying work, then you have to specialize. The more specialized the better, more often than not you have to create your own niche market.

Other wise, you'll never get past entry level or maybe mid management since your skill set isn't specific enough.

• Jack of many trades, master of none. Did you know creatures that specialize are usually the first to go extinct? A jack off all trades is more adaptable.

• I'd be the master of the jack.

• getting your hands into many things can be a plus side. like a college degree.. you are well versed.

• A master of one. but since im a dyslexic i dont know what i can do.

• A master of one

• For me, it'd depend what the one is.

• I want to be specialized in my field

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• I am a jack of many trades