How would you feel if a manager at a shop seemed like they were a kid?

Say you go to buy something somewhere but then for whatever reason you go to return it. The person at the counter nods in understanding and tells you they'll be back with a manager to do the return. But they come back with someone who looks to be quite young, maybe 16 years old. Would you find that odd? Or even unprofessional?

I ask this because I recently got promoted at my job. So now I help deal with handling the money, doing exchanges and returns, and a few other things. But I look really young for my age, young enough for a middle school chaperone to yell at me because they mistook me for someone in their group. So I have to wonder how people would take someone so young (or young looking) in such a position.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't mind the looks of a manager because that would be the least of my concerns. I would probably look up to you in reverence because you have been promoted based on your work ethics and not by looks.

What Guys Said 1

• Eh, as long as they did the job well

What Girls Said 7

• A lot of people do have biased attitudes when it comes to younger people in management positions because they assume that older people with have more experience in the field and understand better how to handle a situation.

• Sometimes when the manager comes up and they look really young it does catch me off guard just because I am not expecting that. But then you can quickly tell that they are totally in charge and capable and it becomes no big deal.

• That's happened to me already. I was 22 and server and the managers were 17 and 19. They did great. Love them both. It was like a giant family there.

• I wouldn't let myself think much of it. But I guess I'm kind of biased since I look younger and am really short, so since I understand the feeling I try my best not to over analyze things/ people like that

• Honestly I would think they were put as manager because of their talent.

• bad management !

• i wouldn't even remark if I return something to the shop I will be too angry to remark that she look young. I doesn't give a shit honestly