If beauty is subjective then , does that mean beautiful , ugly and average people don't exist in a way?

I always hear that beauty is subjective and all. And i've also learned that if you post a picture of a girl on here and ask for rates the answers are very different. Some will say she's gorgeous others will say she's average. But mostly gorgeous so what does that mean? What should the girl be labelled as then if people are saying different things? It's confusing. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder then we all are good looking , average and ugly because someone will think of us as beautfiul And the other will think of us as average. So beauty and ugliness doesn't exist in a way. Am i correct?

• Beautiful, ugly and average people don't exist because everyones tastes are different therefore you can't stick with one label
    46% (6)20% (1)39% (7)Vote
  • I don't agree. Beautiful , ugly and average people exist. The majority of people agree with what is beautiful and what is not
    54% (7)80% (4)61% (11)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Like most times in life, there is not just white or black. I believe it's a bit of both. To some degree, beauty does exist as an objective measure. This has been scientifically proven. For example people tend to find other human beings more attractive whose faces are as symmetrical as possible. Also, health and youth are generally viewed as beautiful (this has of course evolutionary reasons). This is why most people would agree that a 500-pound woman or a 90-year old guy are not beautiful (at least not physically speaking).

HOWEVER, there's ALSO a subjective aspect to this on top of the objective matter. It is natural (and also biologically expedient) that we don't all have the exact same taste. To speak in evolutionary terms, this ensures that our species does not become limited to one "kind" of individuals. Imagine for example all men liked women with blond hair and long legs. Now, if this was the case, all other types of women would soon become extinct. However, because there's only one type of women left, womankind as a whole is at a much higher risk to fall prey to natural threats. If we assume that these women have similar immune systems and a virus was to attack them, all womankind (and indeed, all humanity) would perish. So biologically speaking, it makes a lot of sense to create a lot of diversity. This is, to some degree, also true for different races. For example a black person might not react to the same threats in the same way as a white or Asian person.
    The fact that subjectiveness does exist, doesn't mean we're all beautiful. It means that we are all (or at least most of us) beautiful in the eyes of SOME fellow human beings. If you belong to the 90% of human beings with average looks, you will have some people who find you ugly, some who find you average and some who find you pretty. That doesn't mean ugliness or beauty don't exist, it just means that people have different opinions because they are genetically encouraged to prefer a variety of different "types".

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• i see what you're saying... maybe not everyone can agree on who is the most attractive person on the planet, but you will see a lot of people supporting one person over another. beauty is subjective, but not SO subjective that everyone's attractiveness is a big question mark.

0|0
    0|0
    • What about if it's 50/50 like let's say there's a girl named julia and out of 100 people 50 think she's beautfiul and the other 50 think she's average. What is the truth then?

• she's probably close to being "pretty". i'm sure some days she looks less attractive, some days more attractive...

What Guys Said 6

• Due to individual preferences on things like (body type, race, etc.) there are disagreements about the difference between a 7 and a 9 but we generally agree who is above 5 and who is below 5.

If you were to take a picture of a person with facial deformities and a picture of a model and then showed the pictures to 100 people for them to rate on a 1-10 scale. The average score for each would probably be 3 for the one with deformities and an 8 for the model.

Not many will rate the model below a 5 and not many people would rate the deformity person above a 5.

So beauty is not perfectly objective but its also not perfectly subjective.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are certain things that account for attractive features, but there is quite a bit of wiggle room within that norm.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is similar to the question if a tree falls in the forest, with no one around, does it make a sound? Beauty is mind-dependent.

0|0
    0|0
  • People lie their ass off on here. They try to boost people's egos, because they're afraid of what might happen if they tell the truth.

0|0
    0|0
    • So when a girl posts a picture and people say she's average they're lying? I don't think so. I've seen that many times. Why would they hurt her feelings and lie to her? Anyway you didn't answer my question and maybe i'm thinking too much.

• The large majority of this community over rates everyone who posts a picture. If some girl is ugly they say you're so pretty I'm sure you'll find someone eventually. They're so full of shit. Maybe 10% evaluate the question objectively, the rest are just trying to preserve their own image.

• Well, i've been called pretty on here soo does that mean i'm ugly?

• That's a fair take. A different but sound opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Beauty is subjective for the most part. I don't think that just because it's subjective, beautiful, ugly, and average doesn't exist.

It does exist within the eyes of the beholder

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!