Why do they ask your race in a doctor's office?

And on doctor reports it'll say my race (White). Why do they ask and why do they put it in doctor reports?

- - - - - ---
- - - - - ----

Most Helpful Girl

• The most medically necessary reason to collect that information is that there are a few lab tests -- such as the eGFR creatinine test, for kidney function -- that actually have different "normal ranges" for people of different races. So, if yr racial information wasn't in yr chart, a doctor's ability to interpret those lab results would be limited.

People of different races (especially when their background is fairly "pure") also have different susceptibilities to various diseases, genetic modifiers, and environmental factors.
    This is ESPECIALLY true for diet and nutrition. People of 100% East Asian ethnicity, for instance, can eat tons and tons of white rice every day and still have essentially zero risk of developing diabetes -- while people of 100% Anglo descent, or (especially) Native/First Nations people from polar regions, would be at extremely high risk of developing NIDDM ("type 2 diabetes") on EXACTLY the same diet.

__

TL;DR --
    Because there are various medical/nutritional/dietetic situations where yr race matters.

Most Helpful Guy

• Heath reasons. Different races have different health problems or are more likely to. Before anyone says it no that is not racist that is just the facts.

What Girls Said 11

• Because there are some conditions for which different ethnicities are more vulnerable. For example, people of African descent make up the vast majority of sickle cell disease cases.

• Racial profiling and for medical statistics

• Race can be a risk factor for particular diseases and it can play a role in matching blood products/transplant if that ever becomes a need. The more risk factors a person has for a condition, the more certain a doctor may feel about diagnosis and treatment. It's relevant.

• Because you are more likely to get certain diseases if you are a certain race.
    Like sickle cell disease is more common in black people. That's why every time I go to the doctor they are always asking my parents and I if I ever had any family member with sickle cell aneamia.

• I guess it's because some diseases or health issues are more common in some races than in others.
    But I know some people don't believe in it.

• There are medications and illnesses that affect people of different races in different ways. My (white) sister has diabetes and take metformin (treatment for type 2). While reading the fine print we discovered that metformin has been found to work better for women of African descent. Because she isn't African American, her dose had to be raised to get the necessary effect.

• they ask? can they not tell just by lookin at ya?

• In short... nope. Especially not here in LA where half of everyone is mixed.

Literally everyone thinks I'm part Asian when they first meet me. I'm not Asian at all (I'm half Navajo).

• Hey, do you mind giving me a quick PM I would like to tell you something but not in public. :)

• @Applefan1 me or red?

• They never ask me that ever. Maybe because my the have my medical reports. But I do know its for certain illnesses and that are prominent in certain ethnicity. It gets complicated though with biracial people.

• Different races are more likely to have certain diseases than others.

• I have never seen that happen to me

• Knowing a person's race is important when one attempts to diagnose a complex problem. Certain races are prone to different diseases and problems. If the patient is directly in front of you you going to know some of an answer to race but not all. If you're reading a report and you don't see the patient in front of you than knowing his race is even more important. Let's give an example this is a 42-year-old black male who presents with a left-sided headache that has been becoming more intense over the past three months. Well the first thing you think of his guys got high blood pressure and the nurse measures the blood pressure and it is high. What medication would you start this patient on? Now you're the consultant you are not the primary care physician you have not seen this patient only the report. The answer is either a slow channel calcium blocker or a thiazide diuretic because people of the black race are more sensitive to the Olds medications. That means they have a better chance of working. If it were a white guy an ACE inhibitor would be the first choice. You get my drift? Anyway those that's the reason

What Guys Said 12

• There are certain medical conditions that race has a bearing on. Sickle cell anemia in black people for example.

• There are medical and social/cultural differences that do exist that do effect your health. They need to keep them in mind.

• because certain drugs are affective for people from Europe but have no benefit to people from africa or india, and other drugs which have a benefit on Africans and no benefit on europeans. Genetics play a role, and yes humans are different race to race.

• different ethnicities are prone to different problems.

• Believe it or not, you are suspectible to different diseases based on your race. So it's all medical.

• Most likely for medical reasons as stated below, but also for statistical reasons which is 'probably' collected by regulatory agencies to find out how many of which race, sex, gender, went to the doctors and for what.

• Because race is a social construct and isn't biological at all.

• never been asked that

• The government requires it. Democrats need to know how many Hispanic votes to pander to.

• so they'll know whether or not you have aids.

• It's just for survey results mostly and you don't have to answer it

• Lord Blakeh I think you come from outerspace. That's why they ask.