How much do you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?

Words from the movie "Fight Club," but are they true?

I've never been in a real one and there's no telling what I might do... I have no idea if I would lose, win, or go all psycho and rip an eyeball out...

Maybe if I got in one, it would change the way I socialize forever...

Most Helpful Girl

• I've never been in a fight and i think i know myself just fine. i know tht i don't want to get into fights and would rather avoid it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Feeling the adrenaline rushing is certainly an experience to have. But I dont think its exactly something one should strive for.

That being said I still am careful with guys who have never been in a fight. Let's face it - there are plenty of douchebag guys out there who only seek for phsyical fights with another guy and if a guy never has been in one it means that he has either been extremely lucky or that when it came to it, he chickened out.

• Why are you careful of guys that have never been in one? I didn't get that part...

• Trust me, you can't. The guys who areout to pick fights smell you like an animal smells fear and would especially pick on you. It really is just luck.

• I just did 4 years in prison and avoided it...

What Girls Said 5

• I've rarely been the agressor, I'm usually the one defending. I held the wrists so she couldn't do anything and just kept it until we both calmed down.
    But one time my brother got hurt and I went berserk and I'm surprised I had that in me

So apart from that exception, I 'll just defend. I'm no fighter

• I love the movie and I have been in a few brawls and punch ups the best one was with 2 brothers after I kicked ass they never bothered me again

• I don't think that's true.
    I can already guess that I would lose if the opponent is stronger than me.

• Actually fighting is mostly about technique and who throws the first lethal punch. Strength only comes into play if both sides techniques are about equal. And since most people have no clue how to fight it comes down to strength alone.

• That's cheap, but will give you a pretty good shot at winning. Most people don't do that though - its like some unwritten law that eyeballs and genitals are taboo. If someone is going after you with a weapon though and you have no way of dodging - sure, do it.

• @FakeName123 I don't obey these rules... If we're going at it... It's life or death...

• I love that movie

• Yeah that's just a movie. Don't believe it

• But couldn't it be true?

What Guys Said 18

• I've been in a few fights. I always kept calm: the best way to win. The guy who loses his cool does stupid moves and risks getting hurt.

• You have to be in a fight to know yourself? I don't think so. You can always practice martial arts moves by yourself, with family, or friends.

• That doesn't help anyone...

• I knew that I was good with my techniques and other things before those fights took place.

• That's good...

• love that movie.

been in 1 real fight. we became best friends and are true bros.

• I'm a non-confrontational person, so instead of fighting I just walk away/avoid the situation.

• Nah, there's not much good about a fight. I've been in several and they've never been fun or productive. Either you beat the other guy down and have to worry that you'll be arrested for it, or you get your ass kicked and get the humiliation that comes with that. Worse case you bring yourself to a gunfight and end up dead. So no, the Fight Club paradigm that worked in the movies doesn't really work in real life.

• It might for something minor...

Not a gun fight, just a scuffle...

• @BertMacklinFBI Well, I like boxing, and I think it's a useful self-defense skill, especially learning how to avoid getting hit.

• I agree, it is useful overall. Knowing how to throw proper punches, parry, dodge and weave is all good and it'll definitely give the person an advantage over some inexperienced punk on the street.

• Trust me, don't go looking for fights thinking you'll 'grow' as a human being. They aren't fun, they hurt like hell, and if you're lucky, you don't end up with life-changing injuries or a criminal record.

• I suppose that's true...

Should have gotten it out of the way when I was younger...

• You learn how much you can take and how much you can dish out. You learn whether or not your initial response is to cower or dominate. You learn what's real in fighting and what only works in the movies. You learn how to defend yourself against someone that'd actually TRYING to hurt you bad and not just a training partner. You learn how to remain calm instead of instantly getting hyped and possibly making a lot of mistakes.

• I have no idea how I'd react...

• Lol, see? Everyone reacts differently. I would have dodged and told him to go sit down before we both get arrested or something.

• I think the girls would like your reaction better...

• It's true, somewhat.

• How has it worked for you?

• Awesome, to me, that makes you more sane than a lot of people.

• Cool...

• i guess thats why my dad put me in boxing and kick boxing since i was able to walk.

• I wish I would have done that...

• maybe, i was punched in the face many times and didn't know why.

• Oh well...

At least you didn't get lung cancer...

• Only really deals with fight or flight response.
    Are you one to stand up or run away.

If you want to know, take martial arts. Controlled fighting will give you a peek into your soul.

• I've been in countless fights (how have you never been in a fight?) and I don't see how fighting, not martial arts, teaches you about yourself.

• It just never happened... Nothing major that lasted a long time...

• Just a tiny bit less than if I have been in a fight (hint: how I fight)

• But is that pretty major?

• Well, it's only one thing about myself- not that major in the grand scheme of things I guess.

• Fighting is over rated.. I've been in a hundred fights, overrated. The only thing you will find out is that fights aren't fun. It won't turn you into a zealous maniac. ;) That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it..

• You know that you can't fight very well.

• You only discover if your switch turns to "fight", or "flight". Your self-preservation kicks in.

• But I think it has a lot to do with the size of the other guy...

• Hard to say.

• I haven't been in a fight since I was like 9.

That's maybe one of the reasons I took up boxing. It's not the same... but i'm pretty confident i'm not a suck now, lol.

• I have think it kinda makes sense. If you look at it like this: if you lose terribly and publicly humiliated for doing so, it'll most likely have a psychological effect on your self worth. I know I would.

• But if you win... You would walk around like a bad ass and probably get tons of girls...

• Oh okay...

• Girls would look and say "he won a fight AND DID A BACKFLIP? " I need to make love to him immediately!!