Is it unhealthy to spend a majority of your social life on GAG?

I work for a business that requires psychological knowledge on social behavior and social trends. So a team of people, including myself, were assigned to observe websites like this in order to gather information about the way people choose to socialize and how they interact in online communities, how often they interact in online communities, and if their online community interaction stifles social interactions outside of the internet. Instead of going into the office to work, I’ve been rotating between a regular 1st, 2nd, or 3rd work shifts (in order to be present during various time zones) from home studying and observing the social behavior of members from this website. During my studies, I have noticed a variety of interesting things. The most imperative as it relates to my study are race relations, gender relations, sexuality relations, and the way women in certain age groups try to appeal to men. I found the feminism scuffles to be quite telling. Even though it's not apart of my specific assignment and someone else from my team was assigned to report on ‘relational feminism and response’, I was still able to send them screenshots of dialogues here.

Something I did notice during my work shifts from home studying this place is a very cliquish atmosphere where certain members spend nearly as much time here on a daily basis as I did for work. I can’t help but wonder if they even have the time or take the time to develop friendships offline because there are only so many hours in a day, in a week and they spend a lot of them maintaining online friendships. It makes me wonder if they miss out on social events and activities in order to be a well known, established presence on GAG. Do you think this is healthy? Could this be the result of possible internet addiction? Overall thoughts?

• Healthy.
    19%(5)25%(13)Vote32%(8)
  • Unhealthy.
    81%(21)75%(38)Vote68%(17)
I also used an account of my own to interact among the group and essentially make test subjects out of members here. These findings have help me put together a report that will be a major stepping stone in my career so I want to thank all of you for that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, being on GAG is more-so the symptom and not the cause, people can spend so much time on GAG because they are disconnected from the other people around them, and haven't picked anything else to do in the meantime.

Although if you spend TOO much time here, then GAG will be the only thing that will be 'relevant' in your life, and you won't be able to talk to others about any experiences beyond that, which you won't.

I guess the term is 'being stuck in a rut'.

Most Helpful Girl

• As long as it doesn't control your life then it's fine.
    That's why some people I know [including myself] take/took haitus's, because GAG was becoming unhealthy

Sponsored

What Guys Said 18

• That's why I'm not sure about the psy- (whatever, I don't know how to spell it) the head doctors, you guys are always creeping around

So who did you get in them screenshots, can you show us? I kinda hope I was in one, I like science, if I could be a test subject I'd love it. I always wanted to be one. I suppose I'll have to try and sign up for some clinical trials

I think you might have the wrong idea for two reasons, one this is a Q&A site at it's heart (with elements of a social site) and well. . . about the login. Sometimes I just login and leave it in the background while I'm on youtube or something, I'm sure some people do the same

Sometimes I just spend some time reading

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Will you tell us more stuff?

• I’m not allowed to release report findings to the general public.

• At least I know how to avoid these operations now, that's something right?

www.court-records.net/.../...-confident%28a%29.gif

Also have you played ace attorney before?

• img4.wikia.nocookie.net/.../16ibk3a.png

I've finally got you on the hook thanks to getting an idea from someone, @ Asker you made a mistake

Wait till you see what's coming. . . well that's if you even come back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cofz_YxBXa0

• With the advent of smartphones it's incredibly easy to be on something like GaG while having a perfectly healthy life outside of it. Personally, i'll browse GaG every now and again even when out with friends if there is a lull in the conversation.

• If you don't mind, would you be willing to share your report with me? I'm interested in reading it. I'm sort of an amateur sociologist.

Personally, I'm in between jobs and my own side business is still in it's infancy so clients are far and few between so that opens up some time for me. Granted I could be using it more wisely, figuring out more effective strategy for marketing, but I try to leave myself some space and time for myself.

I come here to learn about other people, about their thought processes and see if I can find trends in certain types of behaviors and arguments. Like you've I've noticed there are hot spots. The ones most notable are genital insecurity (am I big enough / is my vag attractive), dating insecurity (does he / she like me) height insecurity (am I tall enough for girls, am I too tall for guys) and body insecurity (Am I too fat, am I too skinny,) and the obvious Alpha / Beta dichotomy present in both women and men.

Occasionally I'll find a well thought out, researched myTake that I enjoy learning from and learning more about the author's point of view. Often times, I will read the links they site and it may change my opinions on some things. I look for enriching conversation.

Sadly, most of the time I don't find it. But as an old friend said, the few really sweet and tasty sunflower seeds make the rest of the handful worth it.

• Rather than unhealthy, it's IMMORAL to think even remotely of anything that happens here as "social" in any civilized construct!

• This sounds like the kind of "business" that doesn't generate a real profit at the end of the year, but im sure you'll tell me how it does. Anyhow, i say this because the questions of the assignment have such obvious answers... i don't see any legitimate institution actually spending money on the data you collect from a site like this. Obviously, online communities can stifle social interaction in peoples lives if not taken in moderation. I mean we have loads of examples already from gaming communities, in particular games like world or warcraft where people are essentially living a double life. Look, im sure you're well meaning, but when i read this through, it all sounded like a crock of shit to me, to be quite honest. But good luck with presenting your findings

• Can I ask what specific branch/es of Social Science would you suggest for the kind of research you do, just Psychology, Sociology etc are too broad. So anything specific one should focus on in these fields.

I know you're not allowed to say who you work for, but generally what kind of agencies tend to look for this kind of research, or what kind of agencies you've been involved in carrying research. I understand the secrecy but anything will be helpful.

Can you reccomend any books, resources etc. Regarding the kind of research you do.

• I honestly after reading your question think what you have done is kinda scummy
    "I also used an account of my own to interact among the group and essentially make test subjects out of members here. These findings have help me put together a report that will be a major stepping stone in my career so I want to thank all of you for that."

• GAG is not a social life. You are answering questions about social issues, which you can't do unless you have regular firsthand experience of them.

• Unhealthy? You won't get infections here, G@g guarantees that.

• That isn't called social life , social life is taking to people in real life not on the web that's a false idea we created

• GAG is just a place that you can chill (most of the time). It's unhealty but it's worth it.

• It takes someone seriously dependant to allow GaG to run their life.

• Probably and that's what I do...

• OF COURSE NOT

• Yes but I have a habit of spending too long on here.

• Yes wtf does that

• Of course.

• I think it depends. I work weekends and it makes it almost impossible to have a real social life because everyone is off work, when I have time to socialize. Socializing online isn't ideal, but it is better than nothing. I don't think my being on here is unhealthy, but working the hours I do certainly isn't good for my social life. In fact I am about to quit it is getting so hard on me. If it was because I was too afraid to go out and make friends then I would consider this site unhealthy for me.

What Girls Said 10

• If it gets to the point where you are not going to school, seeing friends or family, missing events or activities, then it is unhealthy to be on G@G and those users need breaks from the site.

• Some people spend far too much time on here.

I only really log on at nighttime to pass the time. I must admit though, it's then I feel most annoyed by people's attitudes so as the night goes on I get more snappy!!

• You know I was actually going to mention you but you showed up. . .

Anyway + 1

That's why you're always hidden. You should let them have it, hold nothing back

• Everything has it's ups and downs, at least your senpai will notice you (if you have one)

That's right, one will live, one will fall. If you're really up for it I'll send my follower the message. I'm sure she'll be ready

• Haha could be fun! Not a great time at the moment though, probably wouldn't be able to put my heart into it for a couple of months. Grandfather is hospitalised.

• It can be unhealthy for sure. But I think a lot of users are capable of maintaining a healthy balance between an IRL social life and an online social life.

• Duhhh! You don't need to write a long paper to answer all that!

• When im here, its cos im multi tasking online 😛. Not really here to make besties but open to discussing topics that pertains to real life

• I dont think one forum like gag is enough to gauge social behavior basing on real life since the sample is too small and you should observing other sites as well such as reddit and quorum which has a wider spectrum of diverse users from professional back grounds compared to gag

• It's probably unhealthy but so is smoking. If you like doing it, carry on.

• If it starts to interfere with your everyday functioning in real life then yes you have got a problem not to mention NO life, so get out into the real world, balance is key, don't let social media become your life, if it does it is definitely unhealthy.

• Gag is the reason why i hate the vast majority of men now HAHA

but anyways i saw a lot of people say this is like the opposite of reality.. so I don't know

• "Gag is the reason why i hate the vast majority of men now HAHA "

you know, this may be a sign that you spend too much time on here.

• oh it is... it most certainly is lol
      but im just bored and dont go out that much these days

• Unfortunately yes

• Yes, go outside.