What color is the sun?

Yes this is a serious question. :P

• RedWhat color is the sun?
  • YellowWhat color is the sun?
  • blueWhat color is the sun?
  • whiteWhat color is the sun?
  • orange What color is the sun?
  • greenWhat color is the sun?
  • violet What color is the sun?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's classified as a G star (yellowish) on the HR diagram, but it's white. Just look at cloud tops at noon when there's very little scattering.

Our sun emits all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, but in the visible spectrum (light) it actually emits more green than any of the other colors.

• "More" as measured how?

• Hm.
      I'm guessing you could draw sunlight as some sort of curve, with nanometers on the x axis and intensity on the y axis, and the single highest point would end up somewhere in the "green" range.
      ... or there's more area under the curve for "green" than for other colors.

see this is why I wanted to know #nurdgurl #itshopeless

• @redeyemindtricks
      I was thinking they might measure the intensity of each wavelength by splitting sunlight up with a prism and have a photometer waiting at various intervals on the other end.

Or perhaps they calculate the peak using Wien's law.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's actually white. It just appears yellow-ish because of the atmosphere.

What Guys Said 27

• White :D

The sun emits light in all spectrums and visible light is one of them. If you combine all the colours from the visible spectrum you get white. Yes, white light is the combination of all colours.

• This is one for the science people - It probably has to do with gases, light travel and optical filters. I am going to say I am an artistic soul and will stay within the orange/yellow colour spectrum.

• The sun is a ball of white light.

It has to do with what is in the light of the sun's WAY of reaching from space to Earth that causes the change of colour. The sun is one colour, but many different colours due to the change in the Earth's rotation since it spins, the clouds, our atmosphere, the molecules, etc

solar-center.stanford.edu/.../GreenSun.html

• The sun is white and can be filtered to show any individual color make-up- think rainbows and crystals.

My personal favorite is when the sun dips just below the horizon and the clouds gradually filter out from a bright orange to a deep blood red- looks eerie and cool at the same time.

• I think it's yellow. Yellow is my favorite color so that must be it.

• Well to be scientific, the stars' colors are based off of temperature. The coolest stars are red, the hottest stars are blue. The Suns temperature is right in the middle, making it yellow

• The sun is white, even though it is called an orange dwarf. Everyone who voted on anything else but white really needs to do their research or go back to school, kek.

• You normally dont learn that its white in school, in my school and a lot of other schools in germany you learn that the sun is an orange fireball being pressed together by gravity unable to lose on mass

• @Redthepro Then that ain't some fine education because I did

• I believe scientist classify our star as a yellow star. But who the fuck knows they used to classify pluto as a planet lol

• yellow in the day, and a nice in the evening, also depends on atmospheric and ozone in the air

• The sun is all of the colors across all of the spectrum all at the same time.

• Which sun?

• i think its yellow or red

• Its white but it looks like something else

• I voted red because it looks really hot there

• The sun is actually white. If you could at it through a prism without going blind you would see this.

• It's black because I can't see and just got blinded :P

• I say yellow

• Wish it was blue ☹️

• The sun is a G-class yellow dwarf star.

• The sun is not one color.

• i like how we're getting all sorts of answers

• YELLOW!
    Superman was born on the planet Krypton with a red sun. He got his powers from the yellow sun of the earth.

• White? Since it lets off electromagnetic waves on (and off) the entire visible spectrum

• "If you could travel into space and look at the Sun without going blind, you’d find that it’s actually white, and not yellow."

• Hard to tell.

What Girls Said 14

• The sun is white.

The whole point of those "full-spectrum lighting" bulbs that they're putting in light fixtures now, to replace the sickly yellow glow of incandescents, or the harsh bluish light of fluorescents?

The point of those is to mimic THE SUN. With its full complete spectrum of light colors.
    Add together the full spectrum, and you get... white.

Actually you get white + ultraviolet + infrared... but you didn't give that as an option. #nurdgurl #itshopeless

• From our perspective it does look a little yellow, especially after sunrise or shortly before sunset, but don't be fooled.

If you could travel into space and look at the Sun without going blind, you’d find that it’s actually white, and not yellow.

So it's actually D.

• If you stare at it long enough, it'll be black.

• It's white. It just looks yellow because of our atmosphere and the way it scatters light. Or some other reason like that.

• I picked orange. A violet coloured sun would be awesome

• The sun is white. :)

• O.0 wait a sec let me go outside and look at the sun *goes outside tries to look at the sun for 1min* oww my eyes my eyes it burns omg helppp lol... yah I think it's yellow no wait I think it's orange nah I think it's blue @.

• Can't say otherwise the sun will he deemed as racist

• It's white because all the colors of the visible spectrum are mixed and turn out as white in our eyes.

• just for fun I say violet

• Yellow (now) -> Red giant (future) -> White Dwarf (distant future)

• red yellow orange

• It's white k believe

• lol @ violet xD

i think its white and the flames around it are what gives it its colors... not sure though