What color is the sun?

Yes this is a serious question. :P

• RedWhat color is the sun?
  • YellowWhat color is the sun?
  • blueWhat color is the sun?
  • whiteWhat color is the sun?
  • orange What color is the sun?
  • greenWhat color is the sun?
  • violet What color is the sun?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's classified as a G star (yellowish) on the HR diagram, but it's white. Just look at cloud tops at noon when there's very little scattering.

Our sun emits all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, but in the visible spectrum (light) it actually emits more green than any of the other colors.

• "More" as measured how?

• Hm.
      I'm guessing you could draw sunlight as some sort of curve, with nanometers on the x axis and intensity on the y axis, and the single highest point would end up somewhere in the "green" range.
      ... or there's more area under the curve for "green" than for other colors.

see this is why I wanted to know #nurdgurl #itshopeless

• @redeyemindtricks
      I was thinking they might measure the intensity of each wavelength by splitting sunlight up with a prism and have a photometer waiting at various intervals on the other end.

Or perhaps they calculate the peak using Wien's law.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's actually white. It just appears yellow-ish because of the atmosphere.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 27

What Girls Said 14

• The sun is white.

The whole point of those "full-spectrum lighting" bulbs that they're putting in light fixtures now, to replace the sickly yellow glow of incandescents, or the harsh bluish light of fluorescents?

The point of those is to mimic THE SUN. With its full complete spectrum of light colors.
    Add together the full spectrum, and you get... white.

Actually you get white + ultraviolet + infrared... but you didn't give that as an option. #nurdgurl #itshopeless

• From our perspective it does look a little yellow, especially after sunrise or shortly before sunset, but don't be fooled.

If you could travel into space and look at the Sun without going blind, you’d find that it’s actually white, and not yellow.

So it's actually D.

• If you stare at it long enough, it'll be black.

• It's white. It just looks yellow because of our atmosphere and the way it scatters light. Or some other reason like that.

• I picked orange. A violet coloured sun would be awesome

• The sun is white. :)

• O.0 wait a sec let me go outside and look at the sun *goes outside tries to look at the sun for 1min* oww my eyes my eyes it burns omg helppp lol... yah I think it's yellow no wait I think it's orange nah I think it's blue @.

• Can't say otherwise the sun will he deemed as racist

• It's white because all the colors of the visible spectrum are mixed and turn out as white in our eyes.

• just for fun I say violet

• Yellow (now) -> Red giant (future) -> White Dwarf (distant future)

• red yellow orange

• It's white k believe

• lol @ violet xD

i think its white and the flames around it are what gives it its colors... not sure though