Why are there certain people too focused on correcting every single grammatical mistake you make?

If it's not even a language arts forum and let's say you're writting under the relationship section or somewhere else asking for help and it's very understandable (you even separate your paragraphs if it's a bit longer and make it as short and consistent as possible).

You're expecting for a reply regarding your current issue and while several posters are offering their opinions, understood you clearly what you were posting, there is one member that has to say that he/she doesn't understand anything, correct you on even the typos and say the ''Oh is English not your first language'' question.

That right away sounds like discrimination as if that member is saying ''Oh you're so bad at English''.

I understand English is not my first language but my grammar isn't abysmal to the point that you don't understand anything. How come others understood the post and that single person didn't?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah there's a few of over zealous grammar correctors. I'm pretty good at grammar but I make mistakes a lot too cuz it's not a big deal and I don't watch super close. I see posts/questions that are hard to understand at times which is a little annoying but just don't read them, big deal. It is annoying when someone doesn't use any punctuation and has bad grammar too, it's hard to understand. Again, big deal. Just don't read.

• Exactly. If I can't understand a post or it's too long to the point it's boring, then I stop reading it and simply don't answer.

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

What Guys Said 12

• People are annoying. I wouldn't have recognised that English is not your first language. You don't speak like an English person mind you. But you could have passed for an American :P

• In everyday "English", grammar is not that important, except that an error can sometimes alter the intended meaning of what is said.

Split infinitives, saying "Me and my friend" instead of "My friend and I" is not that bad as the meaning is still conveyed.

What does piss me off is people saying "Could of" when it should be "Could have". Like in "I have spoken" and "I could have spoken".

This word "Prolly", too. Where the heck did that come from! Are people really too lazy to say "Probably"?

• Thank you for the reply.

I had no idea about invented word prolly to be honest. I'm going to google it now. I always say probably as it should be.

• Yup you were right.
      According to Urban dictionary it's this:
      The lazy and misspelled use of the word "probably".

• LOL!! You found out for me! Thanks! Now I know for sure! :-)

• Poor language suggests you don't care about what you're discussing or how well you come across, since you don't care enough to polish what you've written.

I unfortunately consider the kneejerk response of, "oh, but what if English isn't their first language," to be equivalent to,"'oh, but what if she's 500lbs because of a medical issue and not McDonald's?" In your case, it would be a legitimate excuse. I can't really comment on the context of someone criticising your use of the language so this is more a general comment.

• Believe it or not, but correcting someone else's written work can actually help improve their own grammar.
    Also, just like some people can be “ocd" about certain things, some people are “ocd" about grammar. It can really erk someone when they read a badly written sentence.
    And, as someone who reads a lot, it can be very painful to read something that is horribly composed, I don't mean one or two errors but more like every other word is wrong.
    The same is true of punctuation. When there isn't proper punctuation what we actually mean and what we write can end up being two drastically different things. Plus, it helps to organize your thoughts and keeps things all nice and neat.

• i'm guessing you intentionally used bad grammar in your question as bait.

but i only point out blatant misspellings... especially if i see it twice... how else are they going to learn?

• Just profectionist probably, or OCD.

• OCD with a touch of being anal.

• They are bored like everyone else.

• It's still annoying. I've been raised in the USA since I was 4 years old. I might make a couple mistakes (nothing major because others know what I'm talking about) but that's mainly if I'm really in a rush and asking for opinions. In addition, I have to deal with my keyboard set in Spanish auto correction and keep correcting it; that's because I'm in my homecountry.

• Cause some people on here use some of the most broken English I've ever seen

• grammar nazis.. aka Faux News people

• Your question sentence would be less wordy if phrased like this:

"Why are some people obsessed with correcting your grammar?"

• I don't know what's wrong with them. Grammar Cops? There are user that are young and many that speak English as a 2nd or even 3rd language.
    If you can understand what a person is asking either answer the question or move along

I ain't talking no good English.

What Girls Said 9

• This happens everywhere, it's not just this site. I can understand when it's a lot of mistakes, but not when it's a few. I've seen it on Facebook comments. I try my best, but because I have a learning disability, I make mistakes all the time. I hate it when people throw it in my face that I made a mistake. I don't care if they're polite about it, but I've had people get downright picky. I had surgery a few years ago, and so I posted a status that I was okay for people to know. I ended up having a conversation with people in the comments. An old co-worker took the time to point out every grammar and spelling mistake I'd made.

• Wow I would have been pissed off by then. I'm starting to wonder if some of them sometimes do it on purpose to waste your time, pretending to play dumb saying they don't understand it and basically find an excuse not to address the main topic.

• It's likely that, and they probably just want to seem smart.

• this isn't a grammar class, write however u want. i spell like absolute shit on here nd im an English teacher. no one can tell who's doing it out of ignorance and who's doin it on purpose. so imho no one should correct anyone if they understand the gist.

• It's frustrating to see badly punctuated sentences, or words spelt wrong, et cetera. Personally, it really bothers me, so I feel that I have to correct people and then I do.

If you don't type words in English correctly, you do look ignorant or like someone whose first language was not English. Grammar Nazis are helping you write correct English which is done by informing.

• They think the language is important and want you to use it properly, I suppose.

• Don't really know but honestly in my head I'll correct people and cringe at poor English. Like when people write/ speak in ebonics. That's only because they do it constantly to the point where they don't know how to spell correctly and it pisses me off. Some people like that can't even read at a high school level and that's pitiful. I understand typos though, that person was just being an ass to you.

• I do it because I'm an English teacher and it just annoys me. Plus, it's just habit. I'm used to always doing it and sometimes I forget how annoying it can be.

• Lol cause they're bitter and bored.

• i dont usually do that... but when there is something wrong in the sentence it just feels "off" ya know
    some people get too annoyed by it and can't help it... and fb tells them its funny not to be able to control yourself lol

• Showing you they are clever than you.

• Which, I don't need. I'm done with school already.