Do you handle death well?

I used to think I did. This is the first time I ever cried immediately after being told someone passed away.

Except im not sure if I'm crying because my grandpa died or if im crying because I'm a shitty person and the last time I saw him was Christmas. With no excuse on my end to not have gone to see him.

• Yes, I handle death well.
  • No, I do not handle death well.

Most Helpful Guy

• Death hits me a long time after a person has passed. I handle the passing very well and it's only years down the road that it really hits that they are gone.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not afraid to die but I'm terrified of losing the people I love. There are some people who I would honestly rather die than lose.

What Guys Said 32

• No. I'm not good with death.

Maybe you thought he would live forever on some level, so you had time to see him later. Even with all the people around me who've died, I still feel that way about my parents. Like they've always been around, so they always will be around, even though I know the obvious. It's really the same with anyone else, too. All it takes is a second and they could be gone forever.

If you're always thinking about death, then that's really not a great way to live, though. So we don't think about it and forget how fragile and short it is. If you didn't realize that he would die at some point, then you really shouldn't blame yourself. You probably just thought that he would always be there, on some level, since he always had been.

Badness is relative. You're not a monster, because you didn't visit your grandfather every second before he died. Particularly if you weren't aware he was dying.

But if you want to make yourself feel better, watch some documentaries on psychopathic murderers. I'm sure you will feel a saint afterwards.

Maybe it would have been good of you to visit your grandfather. But that's pretty common, in my opinion. I think most people don't really like visiting their grandparents, though maybe that's just me. Though there are a lot of societal jokes about it. And if the only real ties there were blood--like you didn't have a very strong bond with him--then it's even more understandable. Just because someone shares the same blood as you, doesn't mean they are your family.

• It depends on the person. Like when my grandparents passed away I was completely fine, they lived a long life and it was a long time coming so it was comforting to know they won't have to suffer for any longer. I've never had someone really close to me who I spend a lot of time with suddenly die though. Like if my sister died, shit I would have a mental breakdown.

• Yeah, it was his decision. He wrote on a piece of paper and said "I'm ready to die."

Doesn't make it easier though.

• Yeah I deal with death eerily well, not sure why it just doesn't affect me the way it does normal people and I can't ever recall even shedding a tear for anyone who's died. I suppose it's because I don't see death as an end but rather a beginning and taking solace in the fact that I will see them again someday.

The only time death has ever affected me in a negative way was when I felt death itself, and it scared me, a lot and if that's what it actually feels like at the end it's not something I'm going to look forward to at all, not that I would anyway but you get what I mean.

Sorry for your loss and your not a shitty person for not seeing him, just someone who could have made more of an effort. But it doesn't make you shitty, and there were underlying reasons for why you didn't maybe you just didn't want to see him suffer if he was sick or maybe you thought you'd have more time etc, who knows *shrugs*

• I cry my eyes out, so yes.

That is what happens with death... thinking of regrets... of what could have been. Does it motivate you to live life differently and more fully with each person... more loving than ever?

• Well, I've cried four times over dead chickens, but I didn't cry when my grandma died. You can make of that what you will. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After the last chicken (who died in my arms on a warm summer day, how's that for melodramatic?) I don't really mind it as much anymore. It was a rather moving experience, and I've come to realise it happens to everyone, and there's no point in dwelling on it.

• hmm yeah i do, i have my own life to live. I take a fairly unendearing route of simply letting them go. You cannot have everything for ever and even just a little more time with that person often isn't enough. Have i cried over death in the past, yes. Will i cry over it in the future oh yes, but i won't let it control me.

• I handle death very well. I've been around it some and it doesn't bother me much, even with family. I'm certain ill see them again and when I do, we'll both be in a great place. That's something to look forward to, not dread or be afraid of. It happens, it's part of life. I'm not afraid of death itself at all although the dying process does have parts that are a little scary especially if there pain involved.

• In the real sense nothing like death but passing on. You will eventually meet with the person again if your spirits were in tune.

• It's never really easy and I deal with a lot of deaths working as a nurse. It is totally different when it's someone close to you, specially someone like your grand parents, parents, siblings and even cousins whom you've known since you were young. No amounts of deaths can prepare you for that and the best thing you can do is remember them for all the good times you've had with them and simply let your emotions out. Condolence for your loss and may he rest in peace.

• I don't handle death well when it involves someone close.
    Sorry for the loss of your grandfather :(, I think your crying is a combination of both reasons.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ihRRs5A_jI

• I haven't died yet so I don't know

• I think I do. I have a tendency to just accept that certain people will die soon and prepare myself for it accordingly. If it was super sudden then that would be a bit different.

• My parents own a funeral home 😂

• No I dont it destroys me

• No crying doesn't mean you aren't handling it well. Yes I handle it well. It never gets to me. I tend to cry later on whenever I miss them.

• I'm yet to be in a situation where someone in the family's died since my family ties are very small (AKA: Parents and siblings, we don't interact with the wider family), so I can't comment.

• It depends. If I'm thinking about it, then yes. But if I'm thinking about someone that died and cared about, then probably not. I can get emotional that way.

• It depends. I've never cried because a person died, but luckily I haven't had someone I'm close to die yet. So it might change

On the other side, I've cried when some of my pets died. And more speaking of when I was 10, I did last year

• a lot of years ago when my cat dies i felt very depressed and sad, so i would say no i dont handle death well

• Death is the only certainty in life.
    I generally I'm not too affect by death however I was quite sad to hear of Muhammad Ali's passing.

• Yes. My childhood was full of people passing away. Learned to handle it quite well due to it.

• I wouldn't survive it.

• Death is a part of life. Doesn't mean one don't cry when someone close dies.

• Not really
    I'm sorry about your grandfather

• I've never really had someone close to me die so I'm not sure but i can imagine i wouldn't handle it well. Sorry for your loss though.

• Death doesn't bother me at all anymore.

• I'm used to it. Being so OLD, I've outlived most everyone I know :-P

• Death is so boring, where as life is full of possibilities.

• Considering my brother passed away very recently i'm holding up fine

• yes it is what it is.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 21

• I handle death weirdly. My grandfather passed away very recently and I didn't cry until I was on my way to work to tell them I wouldn't be in. I also didn't cry at the viewing and I briefly cried at the funeral after receiving a hug from my cousin's girlfriend. But usually when it comes to death I'm strong about it until I'm alone and I let the reality of the situation hit me.

• Generally, yes I do.

What's weird is at the 4 funerals I've been to, I've only cried at one and that was for a small amount of time.
    But I've sobbed and cried over certain characters dying in movies, (even dogs, like Sam from I Am Legend), and I've cried over music video deaths.

I'm better with the real deaths than I am with the fake ones. Odd.

• You're crying for what you've lost and you're feeling guilty for not having done more. There's nothing to be done about it now but to learn from your grief and make the most of those you love while they are still here. Sometimes we find it hard to make the time but reminding ourselves of times like these helps us find that motivation.

I handle death quite well, I was made aware of it quite young as a child. My parents didn't shield me from it so I accept it is an inevitability of life. It doesn't make someones passing less sad but it does stop me from thinking the world has imploded and will never return.

• It depends I would say.
    I has been almost a year since my best-friend passed away. I didn't cry when I found out, instead I was in denial and started sending her messages because I thought people were pranking me. I was kinda traumatized and it's only 2 or 3 days later when I realized she was gone that I started crying and dreaming about her.
    If it's someone from my immediate family I don't think I would handle wet tbh, I would probably be depressed.

• I think how people deal with death is different in a lot of ways. When my grandma was diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer (it had already spread to her lymph nodes and other organs), I cried for days. A few months later when she died, I didn't cry. I ended up going to therapy because I felt so guilty about it. With some time, I came to understand that I had simply mourned her before she passed.
    My father (who got the diagnosis when I did and the news of her death the day before I did) was in denial. He refused to accept that she was gone and was angry with me for not mourning her the way he felt I should.
    Everyone is different. You might be both blaming yourself for not reaching out AND mourning your loss. Your relationship to him might not have been the same as your relationships with the other people you've lost. Take your time to mourn and don't worry about whether or not you're handling it well. Life is messy.

• I don't know if I do. I guess it's 50/50. I am sorry for your loss, though. Crying doesn't mean you're not handling things well either.

• I'm sorry for your lose 😞 may he rest in peace!

I never handle deaths well... I remember when my grandma passed away, mom came to pick me up and she had super puffy eyes, what was worse is that I was so exited for school to end so that I would see her in the hospital coz I missed her. And I still do miss her.
    now they are in a better place though ❤

• Pretty well!

• Fortunately for me I have not experienced the death of anyone I was personally close to. Unfortunately I have no idea how that would affect me.

• usually I handle death pretty well
    rarely cry
    I am sry for your loss and hopefully you won t feel so bad about yourself for long

• I think the only way to be able to handle death well is to be exposed to a lot of it. Count yourself lucky that you haven't had to be up until now. Some of us don't have that privilege.

• At least you've had him in your life. All but one of my grandparents has died. My best friend died, most of my aunts and uncles, friends have committed suicide. I feel for you, but it doesn't surprise me that you're not taking it well.

• No I don't handle death well at all. It's hard for me to accept it and everything feels out of place.

• I've yet to have a death hit me hard, so yes. I can never get myself to cry when someone dies.

• I handle it well and consider it a lot

• I have seen many deaths on my part and I think I can handle it quite well. I just cry when I am alone but I keep it down in front of others and help my family cope up with it.

• Death is a natural part of life, I've always been good at handling it!

• I haven't experienced a close person dying yet. But I'd think I wouldn't.

• completely tears me apart every time

• I don't usually cry until the funeral then after it I'm back to normal

• I have a weird relationship with death.

• Sorry that your grandpa died. 😢 Crying is perfectly normal and healthy.