Why is University set for people who are so young?

I mean... when people mature they are more able to focus/know what's important.

Why send a bunch of 18 year olds to University?

because there's nothing else to do at that age?

Most Helpful Guy

• College professors I've talked to have consistently said that older students make better students.

The biggest problem I see with most kids going to college straight out of high school is that the majority have no idea what they are getting into and why. They are making a decision to spend several years of their life, and tens of thousands of dollars, without having a good solid idea what kind of work is available. The dropout rate is close to half. Plus it's very common for people to get degrees and then decide they don' really want to do that for a career. Or they discover that they need an advanced degree in their field. Or they discover that no jobs are available, or that the jobs don't pay anything.

I don't buy into the momentum argument. Yes, once you leave school for a while it can be harder to get back into it. But it's not significant. Even after several years absence, a student can get back into the swing of things fairly quickly, easily before the first semester is over.

Older students know exactly why they are going to school. They better understand the job market and finances. They are more focused because because they know exactly why they are there, rather than doing it just because society or parents say it's the thing to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it's harder to go back to school after taking a long break from it. It's good to go while going to school and doing homework and stuff is still a habit.

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 6

• Because our minds are more adaptive to learning when we are young. As we age it gets harder to learn new things. Also, since you are coming out of high schoold, it makes more sense to continue while that knowledge is fresh, rather than wait and lose much of that knowledge from lack of using it.

• This and so the graduates have more years to apply (at their jobs) the stuff they learned in university, this makes economic sense.

• I knew that I wanted to go to a 4 year college straight out of high school, because the original career I thought I wanted to do (software design) requires a Bachelor's in computer science.

I didn't stick with that career path, but when I wanted to become a teacher after I fell out of love with computer programming, in my state I need a Bachelor's degree in any subject, so I stayed in college.

• Actually, it would be nice to cut K-12 down to more like K-9 and accelerate that shit so they can get into Uni and into the workforce quicker in my opinion

• 'the workforce' you sound like a communist.

• @Phoenix98 dude i am not communist or socialist. that shit sucks, i dont need a government to be my provider of things i can be my own provider of. i am just reading it because it is interesting to read.

• @anonman32 Lol I never said you were.

• Yes.

• Are you trying to rationalize going back to school later?

• because it was established like that in ancient Greece and we took it over.

What Girls Said 2

• So... if you're out on your own and working a full time job, how long would it take to earn a degree?

10 years?

Or are you suggesting sponging off of your parents until you're 30yo?

• ikr!!!