What the hell is the difference between girl and woman?

I told my mom that i'm a woman "joking" so she said no you're a girl 😕😕 you will be a woman after you get married. I asked her what does it mean? She said you'll understand later. I don't get it and i don't understand why after i get married? What if i don't want to get married? This is weird and confusing.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your mother sounds like she is one of those people who thinks "womanhood" is defined by losing your virginity.

She also seems to be implying that she wants you to wait until marriage to have sex.

Are you by any chance a latina,

• But she didn't say anything about virginty :/
      No i'm not Latina. Why?

• She didn't have to say it. It sounded to me like she was implying it.

I asked if you were latina, because a lot of times latina mothers bring up their children in a very strict and conservative way.

If you are another race, I guess your mother is just old fashioned.

Most Helpful Girl

• she meant u gonna turn into a woman after u get some dick

• This has nothing to do with being woman right?

• Rofl 👏 I've this said for the opposite gender, never from mother to daughter though.

• @Cosytoasty ya I always found it a bit creepy when a mom discreetly talks about her daughter getting fucked but that's just me

What Guys Said 13

• A woman is when you're confident enough to not care what your mother has to say about you being a woman.

• i care :(

• Always good to care about your image

• dude no

and @Asker., she is your mother... doesn't matter how old you are she will only ever want the best for you even if it doesn't sound like it sometimes... she does

• A woman is mature and can handle various social situations. A girl will only react to them in a way that profits her. Example your freind accidentally says something that hurts you and two of your freinds. A girl would not react well to the situation and side with her freinds that got hurt and most likely shun the one that accidentally hurt the other two. A women would forgive the freind and try and patch things up between all of them. Another example is a girl will blame all men when she dated a guy she knew was a bad boy and will become damaged by it. A women will see her mistake and act accordingly to make sure it does not happen again. She also realizes that it was only one guy that hurt her and not all men. Many times it has nothing to do with age but a women's character. I have two freinds that are 2 years older than me and two of my other female freinds. The two younger ones are way more mature and handle things better than the older ones.

• You will be mature and responsible. Goals will change from school, boys and party to family, husband and hopefully children in a nice home.

• When you're strong enough to take care of yourself and stand on your own. Doesn't mean you have to remove men, your family, or your friends from your life. Just that you don't NEED them to survive day to day life.

• I'd say when it's a combination of physical and mental attributes e. g. physical=over 18 or 21 (your opinion) and mental being your attitude in terms of being independent and adult with these two factors your a woman.

• I would say it comes with age. Like. i honestly would not refer to a female under 30 as a "woman". Just as I don't think I'd call a male under 30 a "man".

I'd just call them young adults. But. Each to their own

• maturity.

• Oh then i'm not mature yet :(

• Meh, don't rush it. However, making smart choices does show maturity

• A girl is childish
    a woman is mature

• It means the same thing. Someone that is a female.

• You're a woman when YOU say, "I'm a woman now!"

• Lol wtf? I think based on your moms response, she's a girl too

• Most girls never become women.

• pubic hair

What Girls Said 12

• A woman takes care of her responsibilities and is mature in every situation as much as possible. A girl is still into play games and doing things that adds no knowledge to her growth

• Doesn't sound fun to me :/

• I don't want to be a woman then. lol

• Lol well one day you will be a woman and taking care of yourself. Then you can figure out how much fun you want to have outside of priorities

• Girl: Young, inexperienced, immature, not really an adult yet.

Woman: Experienced, adult, more mature, understands the world better.

That's how I was always taught to see it.

• Woman has a slightly different meaning for everyone
    In general though it just means a grown mature version of girl

• She was probably making a joke about sex "making a man/woman" out of people and assumes you'll wait until marriage, but I think the first time I really started considering myself a woman was when I became financially independent. Every now and then I still refer to myself and my peers as dumb kids, though.

• You're a woman once you become mature and take care of your responsibilities. When you are more experienced.

Your mother seems to be one of those people who believe that you become a woman when you have sex. And that's not true at all. This idea pisses me off, to be honest.

• After you get married is bullshit. You don't need a man to be anything. You're a woman when you are a mature, self sufficient, adult. I feel like this is the first year I really see myself as a woman and not just a girl.

• I think a girls tend to be more immature, wasteful, disprespectfull, inconsiderate, rude, etc

I don't think there's a certain point you become a women. I think overtime you start supporting yourself you become a woman.

• I think she made a mistake cause you're not only a women when you're married but I would say when you're 21.

• That's just her opinion. I have many mature women in my family who aren't married lol

• And they have their own interests like riding motorcycles, wearing crazy makeup, little kid backpacks, I mean they all ahve their crazy and childish habits.

• How old are you now? Maybe she means you're a woman when you're mature and independent.
    Im not married but guess I would classify myself as a young woman

• Technically you're a women once you start having periods. And then you'd be considered a "young woman". But people have different ideas about what is considered a "woman" and a "girl". For some it is all on how mature you are, others it's age, experience, menstrual cycles, etc.

• you're a woman when you got your period and hit puberty... you dont need someone to "make" you a woman... yu do it all on your own

and your mother probably means intercourse