Is it a shameful thing for a girl to get divorced in Indian culture and move back with her parents?

This girl has done that (gotten divorced and moved back with her mother/father).

She's around 27. It makes me wonder if that's a bad thing in Indian culture/it's causing the family grief.

Most Helpful Guy

• well its not a good thing, its pretty much a sad thing. specially for parents

Most Helpful Girl

• It would definitely make the family sadder if their daughter were unhappy all her life or worse got beaten and physically and emotionally abused. What if she were killed or had committed suicide? Look, marriage is only a contract and at any point the disadvantages outdo the advantages one should be free to dissolve the contract...

What Guys Said 1

• Indian culture? Shameful? Wtf. It's shameful that Indian culture would even shame someone for getting a divorce, she clearly had her reasons.

What Girls Said 2

• Ummm I wouldn't say it's shameful; being an Indian girl myself, nor is it frowned upon. My parents usually talk about if the man or woman is not happy, and they aren't getting the treatment they deserve, then go ahead, divorce them. My father has actually been in a divorce. Overall it isn't a bad thing, it's just a saddening thing, I'm pretty sure other cultures are the same way; being sad about their son or daughters divorce. I mean who wouldn't be?

• Girl it shouldn't be it sure as hl beats living with aan that dictates you.