Crazy theory - is our solar system an atom but on a larger scale?

thats right, don those tin foil hats its time for a wacky theory.

This is something i have thought about before but admittedly it is pretty out there and crazy.

We all know about atoms, they make up everything from cheese to blue whales and consist of electrons whizzing around a nucleus, much like the planets of our solar system orbiting the sun.

Well, what if our solar system is an atom but on a much larger scale? Along side other solar systems in the universe perhaps we are the building blocks of some unimaginably massive being such as a god or goddess!

Is there any evidence for this? not that i could find!
Is it completely mental? yes!
Do I truly believe it? no, but it is fun to think about :p

feel free to discus, but bear in mind this is all for fun.

ok so people seem to have trouble having fun these days. i thought i made it clear in the original post that this was mental and just for fun lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• What is your scientific background? This sounds like something from Horton Hears A Who.

If your really interested in Astrophysics read Brian Greene's novels which explains many theories in languGe anyone can understand. Start with The Elelgant Universe.

Of course our little system is just a speck of dust but it gets so much better than that. Other dimensions and so on... Best

• did you read the part where i said

"Is there any evidence for this? not that i could find!
      Is it completely mental? yes!
      Do I truly believe it? no, but it is fun to think about

feel free to discus, but bear in mind this is all for fun"

to answer your question, im an ecologist with a degree in biology and conservation.

as you missed it the first time, this isn't a serious topic lol

• You're mistaking fun with ignorance. Astrophysics is fun. There are endless things to ponder and you don't have to have a PhD to do so. You aren't fun you're just lazy and I want foster that idea.

• no, your just mad because you mistook a joke topic (an obvious one at that) as something serious. learn to read, and chill out a little lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, in the way you've described it, it's impossible. There is such a hypothesis (not theory, please don't confuse the two) but it talks about the whole universe, not our solar system. Our solar system is tiny (on an astronomical scale) and we know it relatively well. It clearly doesn't behave like an atom towards other solar systems, which makes your assumption impossible (or at least highly unlikely). Also, it's extremely unlikely that the universe is an atom because it is structured very differently from an atom. For example the universe doesn't have a core made of anything resembling protons and neutrons.
    Now, having cleared up these misunderstandings, it is of course possible that our universe could be a subatomic particle (smaller than a quark and one we haven't yet discovered) of a much larger entity. It's unlikely but certainly possible.

What Girls Said 2

• we r a speck on an alien toenail

• I thought about it before too and I personally think it's possible lol

What Guys Said 8

• This theory has been a question for a long time, in the last number of years computers have been powerful enough to run the calculations and they have discovered it's possible. I don't really understand it all or what ever but I think this is what your talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jGaio87u3A

• No i get it, it's kind of a thought experiment of sorts. A neat idea i guess. So what? like each solar system in the Universe represents the atom structure that makes up that respective star system?

It's interesting, it's like a road up of the smallest unit of matter using the largest.

• I've always thought that. The solar syastem does look like an elemental atom. Suns the nucleus and the planets are electrons. Maybe a galaxy is a cell inside some titanic being we can't even comprehend. Its all relative isn't it. What unimaginable to us might be common for some other race of giant. Its just funny how the same laws apply to the micro and macroscopic

• i don´t think it´s "unlikely" or "impossible" but it´s like god "not proveable xD so yeah.. doesn´t really benefit your world view. in fact i´ve been thinking about this a lot too but if it was true, it wouldn´t change anything for us.

• Rutherford said something like that

• Oh wow what a revelation bro "uh what if like we are just a tiny speck in another universe" this isn't a theory this is a random what if? you can literally say this about everything "What if we're all dreaming and in a matrix" no evidence pointless.

• "no evidence pointless"

you clearly missed the part when i said "feel free to discus, but bear in mind this is all for fun"

FUN being the main part of that lol.

• Trust me I had no fun in responding I'm just bored as fuck.

• @Winterfella doesn't change the fact that you made yourself look stupid lol. I made it clear it was a just for fun topic yet you took it seriously. kids these days.

• This is scientifically not true

• Then we wouldn't have any molecules considering they are made of atoms