Do you consider emotional feelings and empathy as a form of intelligence?

it is one thing to understand the other but it is a different thing to feel right?
and let s face it not most of the people can...
we are talking about emotional conscious, therefore everything related to the intellect is as important to everything related to the affect.
This statement was explained by the architect Jean Nouvel. An architect should make use of both intelligence.

Most Helpful Guy

• yes, the ability to understand emotion is intelligence. to place oneself in another and try to understand their feelings is a form of abstract and distant thinking which is a hallmark of intelligence.

Most Helpful Girl

• Only when that persons knows self control and knows how to work with their emotions. I've noticed that the more intelligent/logical a person is, the better they are at knowing when it's right to let themselves feel certain things.

Not sure if I answered this correctly, I'm running on 5 hours of sleep. XD

What Guys Said 27

• Not much really. Everyone can feel. It doesn't take much for that to happen. Everyone can feel empathy, pain, hate, anger, even love. Any idiot can feel love.
    I differentiate intelligence, when you are aware of these feelings, and their implications.
    When you understand why you feel them, and what they lead to.
    When you understand the true reasons behind suffering.
    When you understand what made you feel that way, and the impact your feelings have on others.
    When you don't let your emotions take the lead on your mind (sounds like psychopath behaviour loool)

Let's call it, conscious emotions. When one passes the barrier of the emotions into the rationale behind them. Call it psychology if you want to.

• I don t agree.
      I can understand why someone would feel that way but that doesn t mean I need to feel it or feel empathy.
      I rarely ever do. there is a difference between those two.

• Oh, I meant to say that if you can understand the reasons, then you are intelligent on that matter.

• alrighty ^^

• But what if there's a scenario, where there's a drug addict who got themselves in that position in life by themselves, and I DON'T feel sorry for them? Me having no empathy for them means I'm less intelligent?

No, it just mean's I'm real and I don't have to care about an idiot who fucked up good.

• lol you re taking a specific case here but ok fair enough haha
      look, we are not perfect by all means and we are all weak in certain ways yea?
      you don t know the reasons why this person went into that path and eventually is hurting himself. Therefore he is punishing himself in a way.
      you can t help someone if you re hurt is not in it.
      and if you don t feel for him, if he s loved ones don t feel for him he might not get out of the situation he is.
      emotional support is a must in these situations, reason why there are support groups and so on.

• "Focussing on the reasons is much more impostant"
      - I will actually agree that it is but that doesn't change the fact that the action has been already taken. An extreme example would be if someone who was, say, suffering from depression, snapped at one moment and beat up my brother. However sorry he later is, however depressed he was, and however much he truly regrets lashing out at my bro - all of my fucks are out the window and I'm gonna beat him up for attacking my bro. Sure, he had depression but that does not entitle him to having a permanent "I'm excused becuz I feel bad" stamp. He will still be reprimanded by his actions.

As for druggies - they haven't done anything bad to me - so them being reprimanded for their actions simply entails me not giving a fuck about them. Not until they actually do something bad.

And no worries, English isn't my native anyway.

• "also based on your words, you re saying addicts are a lost cause and that they can never reestablish thwmselves."
      -Not once did I say or imply that. All I'm saying is that they can do whatever they want so long as they don't hurt me or anyone I know. My entire point is that I don't have to care about them since it's their own fault.

"and for those addicts to get back on track they need people that will forgive them"
      -Them let those people deal with them. Not my problem.

"so to help them you need to believe and forgive them"
      -Maybe you do, but I don't.

• I think some people can't feel empathy and some people just don't want to feel empathy because gosh forbid that might have to mean they would have to admit they are wrong about something. So they do not want to feel any empathy for that reason.

• also it can be because they wanna avoid pain

• Can be but I think there are a lot of people out there that won't admit they are wrong when they are.

• By my definitions? to an extent. in today's society? most definitely. You have to have a certain amount of empathy to imagine yourself in someone else's position and consider how they feel. In today's world were we live in a complex society it's a skill that is as important as writing.

• I would not. We mean something entirely different when we use the word Intelligence.

For what you describe in regards to emotions its now called 'emotional intelligence'. Viewed differently from how we view intelligence normally, using 'emotional intelligence' automatically sets it apart from Intelligence understood normally.

If you want to use '9 intelligence model' of Howard Gardener, you'll be describing 'Interpersonal intelligence' I think. For architects I'd say Spatial Intelligence would be more valueble.

fundersandfounders.com/9-types-of-intelligence/

• why is it viewed differently?

• yea but being able to connect emotionally makes it easier to adapt in every situation.
      how good a person can adapt is a form of intelligence.
      in architecture, it adds a sentimental and sensitive vibe to your projects making it artful.
      Without that touch, our buildings are merely cold structures solely serving a function.
      this can be done by engineers not architects.

• Yup that's why Howard Gardener presented the idea of 9 intelligences. Emotional intelligence may make it easier to adpat to every situation, but regardless of the benefits it is not equated with having intellectual capabilities. You can not form a philosophical argument on emotions or gut feelings, it has to be presented with solid logical arguments.

Reason can not be presented as emotions, emotions are felt. Hence somebody with high emotional intelligence is not accepted as somebody intelligent. They must show other intelligent characteristics to be views as intelligent.

Can you feel things, can you feel people. How does it feel to you analazying things via emotions. Of course we can feel amotions, music, poetry, art etc. I mean feeling, analyzing, connnecting things with emotions.

• Empathy probably yes.
    And emotions yes if you mean being able to keep your emotions under control when you have to... meaning you're able to judge on a situation :D

• No it's just called having a soul and a heart.

FYI in addition to people have empathy and feelings so do animals and plants while they do not have empathy do have feelings and emotions as this has been scientifically been proven.

• what is your argument though that proves that it isn t a form of intelligence?

• eh not so sure about that :p
      when I ll check that thingy I ll get back to you ;)

• Haha alright.
      Sure thing, good luck.

• Emotional Intelligence

• It would be right to answer yes, but I am slightly biased towards answering no. I have a mild case of aspergers which for me means that I struggle with empathy and emotions.

• i see where you're coming from... given that thoughts reside in our memory which trigger physical reactions (emotions)... intelligence requires a decision making process... w/ feelings, there's no decision.

• not really.
      understanding is a form of intelligence that didn t require a decision
      as well as analysis

• you can t feel if you dont understand/relate to that person :P

• u sure about that archi?

• Umm yup I think I feel the same.. too that empathy is a form of intelligence... As you know not everyone is able to share and understand the other person...

That's why some people give really good advice.. lol I am one of them :-P :-*

• I don't think emotions has anything to do with normal general intellegnce, like one from the mind and one from the heart ( altho they both are actually from the mind )

• Well it is by default an aspect of emotional intelligence, is it not?

• having so much empathy as to be able to feel what others feel once you put yourself in their shoes is a sign a intelligence in my mind yes... because then you understand them as much as you understand yourself

• Nah, that's bullshit. A lot of people, myself included, may lack it, but it's far from possibly being considered intelligence.

• Emotional "intelligence" is just not being an insensitive dick. There's nothing qualitatively intelligent about it; it's just a buzzword that got popular in the 90s and should have died off a long time ago.

• The EQ Test doesn't exist for nothing. Yes it is a Form of Intelligence.

• i think yes its a form of intelligence. and also a form of having a good and caring heart too

• Well I'd say it would make us wisercto be more empathetic, understanding of others feelings

• I think it might be.
    But i think its a different kind. One that even youmg children have.

• No, I wish I had no emotions, that way, I'll be able to show everyone how I don't give a damn.

• Yeah I would assume so

• Of course it is. There are many parts to our intelligence, one being "emotional intelligence"

• no, it's politically correct nonsense.

• Emotional intelligence or resilience can be a form of intelligence if you know how to use it and not get hurt

• In that case I'm stupid asf

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• I think it takes a degree of intelligence to empathise with situations you have not experienced yourself. You need to be able to understand how someone has come to a conclusion in order to understand their current feelings. People who have little empathy for others often do not understand what has brought those people to that situation or decision. They have often not encountered things that have made them have to question their own beliefs. Personally, I feel that failing to question beliefs is telling of a lack of intelligence. If I believe something strongly I prefer to back it up with reason, and the only way to do that is to question that belief and prove it to be right to yourself.

As for your statement about emotional consciousness, I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say:

Everything related to the intellect is as important to everything related to the affect...

The affect of what? And an architect should make use of both intelligence... and what else? The word 'both' implies two things should be being made use of.

• by definition: affect is touch the feelings of; move emotionally.
      somewhat what I wanted to say. I am translating from french so most probably my tenses and use of words might be off.
      The architect should be in touch with his sensitivity and his logic.
      basing your work solely on logic would make architecture universal and not rooted.
      architecture has a character that relates to a specific period of time, location, people, movement etc..
      and without the sensitive and emotional capacities you can t reach this goal.

• I guessed it may have been translated or English wasn't your first language, I understand a little better now thank you.

I suppose the difference between someone who designs a building with logic and one who designs it with emotion is the same as comparing a cook to a chef. A cook prepares food for sustenance, because humans need food. A chef creates flavours to enjoy, an experience. They take enjoyment from other pleasure in their work, much the same was an architect will take pleasure from creating something that people remark upon and enjoy, whereas a builder does not usually take that much pleasure from people using a house.

I suppose it comes down to whether you want a job or a passion. Without passion a task is mundane, with passion it becomes an experience.

• yea English is my 3rd language haha
      and yea it s sort off what I meant.
      the architect needs to have both capacities though: Logic, emotional expression

• I consider EI a sort of intelligence, but a form of instinctive, intuitive way of gathering knowledge of the world around and especially the society, that without IQ only enables us to survive like other animals.

Some scientists say general intelligence and EI function separately, some others say they are related. there are brain scans that show same regions of the brain performs both emotional and cognitive tasks.

Distinct or related, they affect each other's functionality.

EQ's elements are Self-Awareness, Self-Regulation, Empathy, Authentic Motivation, Social Skills. Empathy itself has three types, Cognitive empathy aka perspective-taking, emotional empathy, compassionate empathy.

IQ usually can't be improved, but EQ can be developed and improved. general intelligence and personality traits come first, then comes EI. Self-improvement practices like meditation were simply made from the ancient times to improve EI. Still, some neurological conditions can make a person unable to improve some aspects of his/her EI.

Self-awareness is certainly one of the most important EI components that a person with very high IQ develops/has.
    You may find people saying "I saw very intelligent people that weren't self-aware", and that is for the most part non-sense.
    The best way to see a person's real level of self-awareness is to see if he is philosophically awakened. People with the highest IQs always have a deep philosophical understanding of the world. And it is impossible to be philosophically awakened without being extremely self-conscious. Philosophy's first questions are questions about one's existence. Someone that is philosophically aware doesn't just know his own emotions, but knows and seeks to understand the reason/purpose of his existence.

I don't believe this element of EI can be ever separated from very high general intelligence. High intelligence leads to high self-consciousness.

Self-regulation is not necessarily related to IQ. people with high IQ can actually lack this skill. Still, I believe people with higher IQs can improve this skill better.

Then there is empathy. Compassionate empathy has little correlation with IQ.

But then we have Cognitive empathy or perspective-taking. Having good skill in both intuitive thinking and analytic thinking can be related to perspective-taking. But I wouldn't say in all subjects. A completely abstract subject like Mathematics for example, doesn't really need this skill.

• ...
      But psychology certainly needs an exceptionally good skill in perspective-taking.

People with high IQ that have high cognitive empathy can be very good psychologists and politicians and business persons.

People with aspergers for example, have lower cognitive empathy than other people, but they can have high IQs and can be very good in abstract subjects. They can be sometimes even better than other people in abstract subjects.

Then emotional empathy and authentic motivation and social skills that are more or less same as above.

I think this is a good way to show it.
      http://oi64.tinypic.com/2m7ar8z.jpg

On the whole, I would say

-People with the highest IQs almost always can have average to high EQ, at least some of the components of their emotional intelligence like Self-awareness is very high.
      -Some people with high IQ can have relatively low EI, some components of their EI like empathy and self-regulation and social skills.

• -People with low EQ that lack self-awareness in their EQ almost always have low IQ.
      -People with high EQ don't necessarily have high IQ. They can have low IQ.

• I believe it can be a form of intelligence. It's something that you'd have to learn though. Some people can't connect with other people through non verbal ways.

• I always considered empathy to be a sign of intelligence and sympathy a little less so. You have to connect with others and understand them to be empathetic, unintelligent folks have a harder time with that.

• I consider true empaths as having spiritual intelligence & insight into emotional situations & sensitivities that others don't.

A definite advantage!

• Emotional iq do exist ☺️

• Yes, I've never thought of it like this before, but I would say it is a form of intelligence.

• Yeah i think it's one type of intelligence

• yes i believe so

maturity, healthy development, intelligence... etc