What do you think will happen eventially?

Many believe that the entire economic system will collapse.

Somebody recently explained to me why they believe this. Our system relies on exponential growth. It relies on a growth of around 3% per year, it can manage on a bit lower but any further than say 2% and it will crash which has happened before. Obviously this also means that in order to achieve this 3% growth we need to consume 3% more of everything we used the previous year - electricity, oil, wood, food etc.

3% doesn't sound like much, but when you do the math it looks scary. Multiply the number 1 by 1.03 over and over again and see how quickly the number rises
year after year.

Then realise that the world population has doubled also in the last 40 years, and that it will continue to rise.

The world's resources are obviously not infinite, eventually it will all run out.

What do you think will happen then?

Using those calculations, it takes 24 years to double the amount of total use. In 24 years if we continue we will be consuming double the amount we have consumed throughout our entire history.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• First, Our system's grown has been anemic 1% or less for the last 10 years.

Second, economic growth is not necessarily resource growth. Does a boom in say, Apple I-phones require more wood and food? Or even significantly more power? In fact, if improved information and communication means not driving around so much to find a product or service I want, I would say my energy consumption went *down*.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• first we have wars over resource, then there is a couple of paths we can take. 1. we can create a new source of power. 2. some of us leave earth in search of green pastures. 3. will go Fallout and kill ourselves

• Humans will just adapt.

Nothing happens.