What's the difference between a ocean and a sea?

So I want to know whats the difference between a ocean and a sea? for example the mediterranean sea and the atlantic ocean? like they're really close and yet so different?

Most Helpful Guy

• Many people use the terms "ocean" and "sea" interchangeably when speaking about the ocean, but there is a difference between the two terms when speaking of geography (the study of the Earth's surface).

Seas are smaller than oceans and are usually located where the land and ocean meet. Typically, seas are partially enclosed by land.

Most Helpful Girl

• s2.quickmeme.com/.../...47b928a84b6bf0b2045638.jpg

An ocean is a large expanse of salt water that covers three-quarters of the earth’s surface. It is bounded by the continents, or the equator, and other imaginary lines. Sea on the other hand, is a body of salt water that is surrounded by land on all or most sides, or that is part of one of the oceans.

What Guys Said 2

• Seas are smaller and much more shallow than oceans. Seas are often enclosed by land where oceans are not.

• I thought the same that they were the same because the US national anthem has "from sea to shining sea" We have the Pacific ocean to the West & Atlantic to the right.
    Being close to Mexico I noticed the "gulf of California" (what we refer to it as in the US) is really the "Sea of Cortez" It's smaller & is wedged between Baja California & Mexico.
    So I think people are correct in saying a Sea is smaller. It's still a lot of water.

What Girls Said 1