Do you know how to swim?

I'm 17, okay? I do know how to swim a little, but just not in deep water lol. I'm scared I will sink.

• Yes, I know how to swim.
  • I only know how to swim a little.
  • No, I can't swim at all!

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, i used to swim in my school's team before I had an ear surgery. I can still swim but I have to be careful and can't dive anymore </3
    I used to love going deep and trying to catch little fishes :'(

What Guys Said 43

• Yes, I do know how to swim. In my country Switzerland, swimming is very common and 99% of the population can swim. It's considered one of our big leisure activities, along with going for walks and hiking in the mountains. While Switzerland is unfortunately landlocked, we are lucky to have stunning lakes and rivers, which we keep very clean (some lakes are so clean that you could drink from them). So in the summer, lots of people go swimming in the rivers and lakes during lunch break (to relax from their office jobs) or in the evening, after work/school is over. Swimming is also a mandatory class for all kids in elementary school from 3rd to 6th grade. We also have lots of public pools (something I really missed when I lived in the US). They were originally built by the socialist workers' unions in the 19th century to give the poor factory workers a way to stay healthy and give them some relaxation on the weekends. In the mid-20th century, these public pools went into the possession of the cities/communities and are now being run by these local governments. There's one very close to where I live and the entrance fee isn't that high, so in the summer I sometimes go there to work out a bit and enjoy the cool water :-).

• Yes, I can swim.
    When I was six years old my father decided that I was going to be an Olympic champion. I was not asked whether or not I wanted to do this.
    Every morning and afternoon, six days per week, for the next 10 years I was taken to a swimming pool to train under a man who later became a coach for the national team.
    It was only a recurring ear infection that rescued me from my father's delusional tyranny.
    As a result of this, my shoulder joints are worn out. That hit me about the age of 40. I am in constant pain and have joint mobility issues.

• Damn that sucks

• @Waffles731
      The worst part was my father's incentive programme.
      If he thought that I did not train hard enough, or do well enough in a race, I was beaten.
      A similar thing happened when he decided that I would play soccer.
      People wonder why I hate organised sport.

• Rainbow, you can do this! I remember when I was a kid and my dad was teaching me and my sisters how to swim at the public pool. We were afraid to go out in the water that was over our heads, even though we were actually swimming in the shallower water without touching. My dad would say: "If you can swim in 3 feet of water you can swim in 300 feet of water!" (And we'd be like: "300 feet of water sounds scary af." lol) But he was right. You can do it! :)

• I use to know how to swim but not anymore.

• Yes I can't even remember learning how to swim because I grew up around a lake. I learned to swim alongside walking I guess.

I always forget that there are people that can't swim. It's just always seemed so natural to me to push the water down so your body goes up.

• I don't wanna be that guy to say it, but I think you know what hole I'm thinking of đŸ€”đŸ˜œđŸ˜‚
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtOmEi8n_0&app=desktop

• I was a sailing instructor. I had to get a life saver certificate.
    I also did some scuba diving and can swim 50 m + under water in apnea.
    I never tried speed.

• Oh sure. Swimming's fun. More of an open ocean kinda guy myself , don't like rivers and ponds. They're too... calm. Rough waves are my forte.

• Yes, I went to swim training once a week for while, it wasn't competitive though most kids were younger than me and I went because my best friend went too. It was good for execising a bit and staying fit and just fun. I was never very fast though :(

• Yep, I learned when I was little. I was in the pool since I was about 3. I think around 4 getting close to five I started swimming in open water... By the time I was about 6 or 7 I got dragged behind a sail boat in the open ocean like bait for sharks. :p

• what's thrilling is snorkeling off the beach. watching the seafloor get further and further away the farther out you swim. you get so caught up that by the time you pop your head up, you're near the sailboats.

• I swim like a fish. When I go to the beach, I go so far out that I look the size of a sesame seed from the sand

• Yes, I think I swim pretty well. My dad forbade my little brother and I to swim with anything holding us up - his reasoning was that we'd never learn that way. I'm gonna do the same for my kids - no mattresses or rings or anything until they're adults lol

• Yeah I know how to swim, I took swim classes for years and even help teach one for a while.

• Heh im a proud swimmer... i haven't in areally long time.. So id tire qyickly but then id just switch to laying on my back which expenda like zero energy so i can just do that forevever...

• I was a swimming instructor for 10 years or so, I've know how to swim all my life

• I'm a very excellent swimmer!

• To fly in the military one must pass a swim test every four years. Also escape from a submeraged aircraft. You don't pass, you don't fly.

• Yeah I can swim.

• At first i was afraid of drowning, but my friends threw me at the middle of the pool for fun , then i was determined to learn how to swim and here i am.
    I can swim about 100 meters at once.

• Yes I can. I wonder how people imagine me swim lol

• Yep, I could've been a lifeguard in my late teens but I wasn't interested. I love swimming!

• I dont :(

• i dont know how to swim
    i only swim once , it was a survival situation weather swim or die
    still i can't swim:D

• I have an inground pool and yes

• i have several certificates for swimming and also for scuba diving.

• Nope, and I live on an island >.<

• Yes I can swim and I love swimming. It's something every human needs to learn.

• I can swim just not a strong swimmer.
    I wouldn't worry about I was working with the lifeboats talking to some of the crew and was told half of them can't swim.
    when someone asked them about quite rightly one of them said well where are you going to swim to in the middle of the sea.

• Swimming is such an important sport/skill. Depth is a non-issue once you know how to swim. Unless you're super skinny (like me) you will float fairly well anyways. Open water swimming is a but different. If you are thinking of attempting that, then you should practice in shallow water. With open water swimming waves will get you while you're breathing, so breathe to the side that the waves aren't coming from. Most importantly, do not go beyond your comfort zone without someone to help you. If you ever get caught in a riptide, swim to the side, parallel to the shore. I used to swim a lot and it can be very enjoyable. Actually, I really miss it.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 47

• Yeah, I'm pretty good at it. When my dad was a kid, he and a close friend were swimming in a reservoir and the other kid couldn't swim as well and drowned. Obviously, something like that really fucked my dad up and he made sure that I could swim from like 5 years old and was enrolled in lessons for about 10 years. Swimming is a lot of fun <3

• Yes I know how to swim. At my primary school we had swimming galas and I used to be pretty quick.

I can only do some strokes - front crawl, back crawl, the froggie one (but I'm really slow). I'm pretty fast underwater and can hold my breathe for a while. Last time I went swimming, I would start my laps by going underwater and kicking off from the wall and stay underwater until my breathe run out. I could last 1/3 - 1/2 of the pool. Strong legs.

• Also, I have an incredible in built safety option. You would think I would float from my boobs. No. Much to everyone's amusement (including the lifeguards who are friends) if I sit st the bottom of the pool, I flip naturally and rise up ass first. No joke.

• yeah i do =] i learned quite early.

• Yeah, I can swim pretty well.

• No, I can't swim at all!

• That sure as hell beats being 18 and drowning when you get to the deep end 😂

• I'm a very good swimmer, and go so far I stop seeing the sand and people and find myself in open water and can't hit bottom even when I try.
    However I don't do that when I'm alone anymore, because a few years ago my leg cramped real hard and I couldn't swim anymore, it took me forever to go back. Now I only swim far when I'm with someone else.

• yes of course i know how to swim

• My parents forced me to take swim lessons since I was like 5 'till I was about 11. So glad they did, I'm a very good swimmer now 👌.

• Yes, I took lessons as a child with my sister, and we were little mermaids, we still are.

• Yes I do.

• Yes. Swimming lessons were compulsory at school when I was growing up, for good reason. If you live in Australia, you really should know how to swim.

• I'm a slow swimmer, but I can swim enough to stay afloat. That's all that really matters I guess. I didn't learn how to swim until the 3rd grade. If we hadn't of gotten lucky and shared rent with a guy that owns an in-ground pool, I would have never learned.

• A little and I learned when I was 17. I had tried at 15 but gave up and stopped going to the classes because I couldn't float.
    I went back and tried again. I got better. I'm not fast but 100% better than before

• Yeah I can swim :) my grandparents live in cornwall so used to spend all summer there swimming in the sea :)

• Yes, I do.

• After all the years my parents had me doing swimming leason, I do know.:D

• Yeah, I took lessons as a kid

• Yes.

• Yeah, of course. I've been swimming since I was a little kid. Ponds, lakes, rivers, sea. Yet to swim in an ocean.

• I was put in classes to learn how to swim throughout elementary school. I'm not an expert but I'm ok. You won't drown your body naturally floats.

• ya im like an olympic swimmer basically [not rlly]

• Yes!! swimming is so much fun. Especially in the summer time. :)

• Yep, I do

• Yeah, my parents got my siblings and I swimming lessons as toddlers.

• In my job is a must to know how to swim, and dive too.

• I can swim a little too. I don't go too far into deep water since I learned how to swim when I was 17.

• I mean im a beach girl so yaa

• I know how, I'm even trained to rescue people.

• Yesss I LOVE swimming ☀️

• More from Girls
    17