In the simplest answer possible - why did they build the Berlin Wall? What did other countries think of it (in humane etc)?

Just started watching a documentary on it and it just seems crazy to me living in the world I live in today!

0|0
0|11

Most Helpful Guy

• The communist bloc didn't want views of the free parts of Berlin to contaminate (read: influence and inspire) those living under their rule. They were especially concerned that all their skilled workers would flee for a better life in the West.

You need to remember that Berlin was 100 miles *inside* East Germany. It was surrounded on all sides by communist territory. The British, American and French sectors of the city were all tiny enclaves of the West in the middle of what amounted to an enemy country (like the Green Zone in Iraq) If you find the wall fascinating, you'd do well to look up the Berlin Airlift, when the Soviets closed all roads and railways into West Berlin and tried to starve the Western powers out. They managed to sustain the city purely with air freight. It's an incredible story.

Why a wall? Being a city, there are myriad ways of getting around without being scene. It's not like open countryside where watch towers and a wide exclusion zone can be built and easily monitored, you need a large physical obstacle.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• To keep the Mexicans away.

0|3
    0|0
  • after WWII the soviets, English, french and US split up Germany to occupy for a period of time after the war. the Soviets built the wall to divide their communist portion from the french, US and English portions

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the west (France, Britain, USA) underwent the soviets in the negotiations about how to handle Germany after WW2. Soviets then were like "fuck it, we just take the east and do with it what we want and how we want and you can keep the west".

The west was like "but... but Berlin is the capital, we gonna keep half of it". Things escalated further, Soviets build the wall to punish the west, the west used planes to get food and such to west Berlin. Soviets gave in and was fine with the people being provided with essentials there - but kept the wall to prevent people from eastern Germany to run over to the west.

0|0
    0|0
  • They built it to stop east Germans from escaping to the free world. The USSR was basically a giant prison

0|0
    0|0
  • Communism vs Democracy

0|0
    0|0
  • To stop Germans from crossing to the U. S. side of Berlin. It was during the night of the cold war, there was very few things the USSR did that the west didn't frown on.

0|0
    0|0
    • Sorry, height not night.

• Show All
    • Unfortunately my knowledge of modern history (after the French revolution) is sorely lacking, but still I hope I helped.

• You did :) thankyou !

• Wikipedia, history books, Google...

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the people are leaving to the other part of Germany

0|0
    0|0
  • People hate people. (Word count: 3)

0|0
    0|0
  • Could they be bored in their life?

0|0